Battlenet constantly updating

Every time I start the game (Classic) Battlenet starts a Classic update. Every time I end a session from in-game Battlenet starts an update. Tonight I had battlenet open in the background for several hours without actually playing the game and it updated multiple times (the update takes 30 seconds or less). I don’t remember Battlenet doing this before and this has been going on for several weeks now. Is this just happening to me? Is it a bug? Or is this working as intended?

10 Likes

Same here but not on classic wow. I don’t believe there is even an update. It just keeps thinking there is. Also when launching the game from the battle.net app the game runs terrible. Everything from latency issues to disconnects. When launching the game file by itself I have non of these issues.

Hey there! This is definitely not intended and it doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue. It’s likely pushing an update every time the game closes due to permission or read/write issues to where the game is installed.

• Try uninstalling, deleting the preferences, and reinstalling the Blizzard Application.
  • Delete the Indices folder and IDX files, then run a repair scan.
  • Try a new admin account.
  • If you are using an external drive, are you able to reinstall the game on an internal drive? If not, reinstalling the game may help. External drives and drives formatted as FAT32 or ExFAT are not supported by Blizzard. We only support internal APFS or HFS+ formatted drives for Mac devices.

There have been some recent issues after the 8.3.7 patch causing similar problems. What we’ve seen help in these situations is to fully uninstall WoW, delete the WoW folder, then reinstall the game. It’s not ideal, so hopefully some of the other suggestions will help!

Thanks, Caterpepi.
I was having long loading issues, uninstalled Wow, and that’s is when the issue started. So I guess your solution might have been the cause of my problem in the first place.

1 Like

Definitely not a user fixable permission error and definitely a widespread mac issue. don’t know of a single mac user not getting issue. It’s so easy to reproduce. hit update. when updating done hit “check for updates” and it goes “oh, looks like a new update”

this bug is also affecting WC3 reforged, classic wow, and shadowlands beta.

it does NOT seem to be affecting diablo 3, hearthstone, heroes of teh storm, starcraft 1, or starcraft 2.

this has actually been an on and off (mostly on) issue with wow for years, but WC3 only started getting the bug recently, around same time it got MUCH worse for warcraft. before, it only thought there was a fake patch if the game had been launched recently and then it’d think there was a new patch on exit do to fact that launching game would touch the files. Updating/installing addons could cause the older fake patch bug to occur too.

Now it just always thinks there is a wow patch, period, even if nothing has changed and game hasn’t been used. Every time ti checks for updates at all it thinks there is an update.

32 Likes

Also having this happen every few minutes for WoW Retail & Classic, the notifications get a little annoying after a while.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. FWIW I have tried every potential fix in every possible permutation including those suggested herein Multiple times on two separate macs. None of them work. Issue started around same time as others have indicated. Hope something can be done.

Cheers,

Ergo

1 Like

As Omegal stated this has been an ongoing issue on and off for ages.

1 Like

I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and everytime I sign off of WOW this happens to me as well. Very annoying.

4 Likes

And it seems it’s getting worse, usually would take about 5-10sec to “update”, now it’s taking like 30sec.

1 Like

I almost thought I found a fix for this by running scan and repair but the constant wanting to update would show up again just from updating an addon or if there was a real update to the game

I tried deleting the Battle.net app and everything in the Shared folder having to do with the Battle.net app and reinstalled—pretty much the same thing. I think it was okay for the first evening, but then started up the pattern of updating every app I have as Omegal mentioned. I have every Mac Blizzard app I can on my machine.

What updates every once in a while (maybe every hour—I haven’t timed it):

• WoW BfA
  • Shadowlands Beta
  • WoW Classic
  • Warcraft III Reforged

What doesn’t constantly update:

• Starcraft I
  • Starcraft II
  • Hearthstone
  • Diablo III
  • Heroes of the Storm
4 Likes

Same problem here.

1 Like

i can concur that it happens to me for both retail and classic, both at start and exiting the game.

I concur as well, and it seems worse of late. I know Mac users are the red-headed step children of gaming but please look into it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is still happening and scan and repair no longer fixes the problem even for a short time.

I never noticed this issue until I started working from home; I run MS Teams on my iMac and have had to start turning the Blizzard launcher off when I’m working because it’s constantly “updating”.

This has been happening to me for months, and I was hoping it would go away when I got a new computer - nope, still does it on both. So frustrating.

I’ve also been having this issue on both my iMac and my MacBook. As previous posters have stated, Hearthstone and Diablo III do not seem to have a similar issue with the Battle.net Mac client. But retail World of Warcraft appears to require an update every 15 minutes or so, and I have been experiencing this for about a month or more.

This is issue is especially painful during service “difficulties” like the cloudflare problems going on right now (Sunday 8 AM EST on August 31 2020). The constant need to connect to the servers to download a 3 mb update just compounds the log in difficulties.