Battleground Suggestion - Minimum iLvL

So who else is tired of entering a battleground and finding your team is comprised of more than 50% Players under 300,000 Health? The current system does not do sufficient upscaling of the gear, and the players therefore are more or less useless and there to be carried or become a burden on the remainder of their team?

Due to the increased Experience in Leveling the issue is multiplied ten-fold from normal levels, and winning battlegrounds is becoming “who has less fresh-120s” on their team. This is becoming a problem and can easily be corrected if Blizzard actually chose to care about the PVP Player Base the same they care about PVE.

Solution? Implement the exact same minimum item level requirements that are used in LFR, Mythic Dungeon Queues, and the vice versa. This should be around 400 which is the easiest gear to obtain, and should be updated on every patch. I do not think it is unreasonable to ask a Fresh 120 to do 3 - 4 Dungeons before BG.

Thoughts?

Edit: 400 Item Level Minimum Requirement, Recommended, the same required item level for Normal Level Dungeons, and also less than LFR which awards less powerful gear than the ones being handed out in random PVP Loot Boxes now.

9 Likes

hey there Wildroot, GJ on the Southshore vs Tarren Mill premades, I had fun :wink:

And yes, they should definitely implement a “minimum item level” for random bgs imo. Random bgs are basically “the LFR” of PvP, and even LFR has a minimum item level requirement in order to queue up for it. You can’t just ding 120 and then immediately sign up to LFR, it should be the same with random bgs.

It’s pretty absurd that some dude that’s a fresh 120 in questing greens, with 35-50k health, can just walk into a random bg and ruin the experience for his fellow teammates (who are actually there trying to win) :roll_eyes:

Ideally something would be done to keep these players out of random bgs, because a 35-50k health player has no business being in the same instance as 500k+ health enemy players. Even 80-100k is really low at this point in time.

Having such players on the team is basically the same as playing the bg with 1 less player, so you’re fighting a 9v10 or an 8v10. If it’s 2-3 such players, out of a 10-man bg team, then you pretty much already know it’s a loss before the starting gate even opens.

3 Likes

As much as I agree with this, I feel like it would detract people from testing the waters.

Then again, with how this patch is setup, you’re missing 300k+ hp, essences, high neck level, cloak, and corruption if you start off with bis gear from season 1.

I’d rather make it so random BGs are equalized, but with how content is at the moment, an ilvl requirement would be the only best alternative.

3 Likes

Normally I’d disagree with ilvl minimums for BGs, but recently had a healer rocking 30% inevitable doom with 90k health

The enemy didn’t even have to kill her. Her own gear killed her for them

Even without corruption, she couldn’t survive any kind of cc, stun, burst… Nothing. Her health was so low the dps could literally overpower her healing CDs and just kill her

It was like, what’s the point? You can’t heal us, you have to waste all your effort on just keeping yourself alive, and then you just die anyway because your health is so low

She was basically a warlock pet. She could cc, but that’s it

Another idea I liked was minimum templates. Have players scale up to 425 ilvl in BGs, and once their gear exceeds that, their gear stats take over.

3 Likes

It’s BG week.,; just have to suck it up

1 Like

While I support the idea, we also have to remember that random bgs are considered “casual”/non-serious content just like LFR.

425 as the entry requirement might hurt participation, since a lot of fresh 120s “top out” at 400-410 without doing dungeons.

I feel like you could strike a balance by setting the entry requirement at something like 385. Most players are able to hit 385 within a few hours of dinging 120, and at least they’re not walking into a match with 50k health.

What health is 385?

From what I remember, 140-165k(ish) health?

I know when I dinged 120 on my most recent alt, and equipped a full set of Benthic, he had 146k health. I don’t remember if that was with weapons equipped or not, I do remember I didn’t have any trinkets or rings equipped.

So with rings equipped, I’m guessing it would be closer to 170-175k.

1 Like

it probably depends on azerite gear, but mine is 180k at 379 (can check via profile)

1 Like

180 k without corruption is as good as 50 k.

DPS are running ard with 500 k plus, full corruption and gems in every all gear

If you are a healer … plz don’t queue with anything less than 430 k health .

I do not like when I get teammates who are severely undergeared but I am also not going to petition to stop them from joining random BGs.
If you don’t want low-geared players then do rated where you can control those factors.

5 Likes

I don’t care about low hp DPS … but healers ?

Yeah it’s really annoying but it’s randoms.
I don’t want randoms to become some gated game mode. The stupidity of randoms is part of what makes it amusing.

2 Likes

Ya but I really don’t understand why low geared healers queue up. DPS can carry other DPS but not a healer if matched against geared healers on the other side . So it’s almost always a loss .

Edit:- Today morning I had a BfG where our sole priest healer was 380 k while the opposing Resto Druid was 600 k health . Whole game he kept complaining that the DPS are not killing the Druid. But we were trying , the problem was he would die fast and then all the other Ally DPS would dogpile us when we try to down the Druid .

Agree with you on this!

I think most of the reasons boil down to selfishness and blatant stupidity or ignorance.
I spam spit emotes on them when I see them but still I wouldn’t agree to restrict it. Sometimes watching them get blown up so quickly is hilarious even if it caused us to lose.

3 Likes

Thought…yea…NO! Its casual and there shouldn’t be a barrier.

Now if you suggested something like they get equippable gear for the current BG only, then I might agree to something like that.

You suggest they do dungeons to PVP??? Why then do PVE people not have to do say three or four battlegrounds to get gear? Would you ask them to do the same?

Final thought: Its better to INCLUDE and ENCOURAGE rather than EXCLUDE AND DISCOURAGE.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good point, there really is no “counter-play” to having undergeared healers on your team.

50k health undergeared, fresh 120 Hunter? Properly geared 470+ pumpers on the team can pick up the slack/carry his weight.

50k health undergeared healer? Your team is dead lol

1 Like

Rather than a min ilvl requirement, why not just bump everyone under a certain ilvl to a certain ilvl? That way a fresh 120 will have the stats of say, 420 ilvl, or something. They still won’t have corruptions or good traits/essences, but at least their HP wouldn’t be less than 100k.

5 Likes

While this is true, and I 100% agree with this and wouldn’t want to stop someone from qing at that ilvl, it’s asking to feed.

There’s that, and its impossible to control who qs in what.

I think if a lower ilvl person qd into BGs though, they’ll understand how much of a disadvantage they’re in, and will most likely be discouraged to try PvP again at any point. ilvl restriction is possibly a necessary evil to restrict such experiences.

Hopefully, Shadowlands won’t be as bad as BFA is in terms of entry level gameplay. or just equalize random bgs pls kthx