Battle Royals in WoW, is it possible?

This is only a random thought since there are discussions about the future of PvP.

Been playing Fortnite and the Battle Royals (zero build) is a lot of fun. It made me wonder if it is possible to have a similar PvP mode in WoW. I guess there is WPvP, however it will need to be much more regulated.

Any interesting idea? Is WoW too slow-paced for this? Put your thinking cap on!

[Update/Edit]
Looks like Plunderstorm is Blizz’s answer for Battle Royals in WoW! It certainly looks interesting. Glad to see Blizz is still paying attention to PvP and trying new ideas!
h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TunJzSyvWOY

What exactly is this?

1 Like

they would need to nerf rogues hard in this mode

2 Likes

Sounds fun, but would depend on how well blizz balances classes… lol

1 Like

Hey Snowcrest! Here is a very rough description, mostly quoting Fortnite Battle Royal’s game system. I am interested specifically in the ‘approaching storm’ and ‘small team’ elements and wondered if they could be adopted into WoW: The match instance could take place at any random spot in the world and cover a reasonable big area initially. The storm forms shortly after the game starts and will cause damage to anyone in the storm. With the storm closing in, and shrinking the safe zone, participating teams could not leave until they win or die. The maximum team member size could be 3, and vacancies are filled by solo players, with the maximum total player count being 99. There will be no auto-respawn, instead, you can resurrect fallen team members at respawn points scattered on the map. Use the environment to survive the fight and be the last team standing.

Lol yes. However, rogues (and any stealth class, especially those who can hide the entire group) is critical because it will be hard to hide your approach in WoW’s open-style world design :smiley:

I agree! Also, in this mode, fights will be swift and agile, perhaps guerrilla warfare style. We would always be on the move. When the chance presents itself, jump in, make a swift kill, and then get out quickly regardless it’s successful or not. It’s a bit different to the current WoW play style, and will be an interesting challenge for Blizz to find a solution that won’t upset other game modes.

Sounds like a rogue’s game.

As pointed out by Pigzig and Velviita, changes need to be made so most classes can have a fighting chance. Regarding stealth abilities, maybe they only work for no more than 10 seconds with a lengthy cool-down (maybe 30 seconds), and any damage will reveal/prevent stealth. Weapons like mines, grenades or even reusable turrets will also make it hard for stealth classes. The focus will be on how to get away quickly and the timing of concentrated damage delivery. Also, classes with mobility issues will need a lot of help.

Most importantly, balancing for this mode must not create problems for existing game modes. Maybe each class could have unique abilities that only works in this mode? Not sure.

One interesting observation that made me wonder if chats are needed at all for pvp. In these fast-paced Fortnite Battle Royals matches, I thought chat was vital for coordinating moves, but hardly anyone in the games we played used Chats and most people could read movements and work together effectively as a team. While WoW is a bit different, looking at all the chatting in Battleground, hardly ANY of them are match-related and are often used to vent frustration or dumb trash talks. For coordination, pinning is all that is needed. Maybe it is better to remove the chat? Just a thought.