Battle of Zul'Dazar: Just feels wrong

It’s definitely a good raid gameplay wise, but the writing and story of it is pretty bad.

Well, we rescued Talanji and Zul from Alliance captivity, and we’ve only been helping them since. Now I’d assume Rastakan being murdered by the Alliance would likely encourage them to side more with the Horde for revenge.

We do see the resistance of the other Troll Tribes that don’t want a side with the Horde, and the Thunder King’s followers were still present.

The fights specifically are a lot of fun, especially like the Jadefire duo from what I’ve done so far… but yea the premise and execution of the raid itself is godawful.

1 Like

The Pandaria stuff was almost entirely Zul’s doing, not Rastakan.

The Horde needs a navy, and there are exactly 2 real naval powers left on Azeroth, and Kul’Tiras isn’t likely to join the Horde.

1 Like

But that isn’t true. It was Rastakhan who ordered the raising of the Thunder King. It was the Zandalari prophet who instigated the Amani and Gurubashi uprisings in Cataclysm.

The Zandalari have been ever-present, and they have been bad news for both Horde AND Alliance from before the beginning.

They’ve not been focused on by ingame lore, but they’ve been in the lore–a heavy part in it–since the beginning. These are not innocent bystanders who lived alone and left everyone alone. Not by a long shot.

1 Like

Blizzard did a poor job at introducing this to us, then. My point still stands given what we’ve seen in-game.

1 Like

I agree with that 100%. I’m just trying to help you feel better about the raid and the story…because there is more than ample reason to get rid of this guy and anyone who supports him in Dazor’Alor.

2 Likes

The Zandalari in MoP were working under Zul, IE the guy that betrays Zandalar to side with Ghuun. Throne of Thunder had nothing directly to do with Rastakhan, and didn’t represent the nation/race as a whole.

Asking why the horde would ally with the Zandalari after MoP, is like asking why would the alliance take in the Draenei after dealing with Eredar from the burning legion.

1 Like

You look like the evil apothecary guy at the Wrathgate… I’ve got my eye on you!

1 Like

A…huh.
You weren’t feeling wrong by killing bears and their cubs for next green item? Or just random ogres or trolls who were just living their lives out there outside of BfA?

The “wrong”/immoral killing was a part of wow like forever. I remember that every time I was killing lynx cub near starting point of blood elves when I was leveling one, I was felt wrong. I mean it’s just a Lynxes and their little cubs, but then again, I have quest and without it I can’t proceed further. So you always stumble across “hard” choises to proceed in this world or just back up and go offline.

1 Like

Thank you :smiley:

That has more to do with the race to world first being on even ground more than anything.

Story/Lore is actually the last thing to be developed.
1.) Gameplay mechanics
2.) Interior/Exterior maps
3.) Mob population on maps
4.) Loot tables and mob mechanics (bosses)
5.) Quest givers and story

This is based on “The WoW Diary: A Journal of Computer Game Development” by John Staats (one of the original dungeon designers).

Sure the game has a mountain of issues atm. My biggest issues tend to be gear structure and class design, that probably stem from both their desire to ever be more accessible and their desire to make WoW eSports a thing… and while the first made WoW popular (in moderation) both concepts kind of go against the genre to the point were we have this strange identity crisis.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t point out major problems with how they do the story.

Battle for Azeroth: Just feels wrong

1 Like

This is how I felt being Horde in the pre-BFA stuff, especially the burning of Teldrassil. It felt bad and totally killed my connection with the Horde as my healer, Pen, watched all those innocent people die. As a result I’m completely alienated from the whole BFA story.

Add to this I’m the last active member of my guild so my connection to WoW is already tenuous. If Pathfinder 2 is obnoxious, I think after nearly 13 years without a break I may be done.

6 Likes

Well, to point 1. It doesn’t matter, at the time of arrest he was still the kings advisor.
2. Oh yea, they were always our enemies, except for that one time.

Well don’t blame me. I didn’t start this war, but I will end it!! All I ever wanted to do was study…

2 Likes

…and how exactly when you couldn’t even save your own people from Garrosh??

You’re missing some key pieces of information here. Zul was responsible for the Cataclysm patch 4.2, acting as an envoy for Rastakhan’s wishes for the trolls to unite under one banner, of which Vol’jin was certainly welcome, and declined. Vol’jin then lead the united forces of Horde and Alliance into ZG and ZA.

Mists of Pandaria’s troll problem, on the other hand, Rastakhan wasn’t aware of. Doing a quest down at the docks will have someone provide dialogue (the dock master, specifically) which states that “when de Cataclysm hit, dey hunkered down and weathered it, and den dey rebuilt. During dat time, Zul left ta go lead his petty wars”.

Zul is a prophet. His plans all throughout this time from MoP to now have been with the intent of setting up the revolution. It’s why the mogu talk about how Zuldazar is theirs by birthright. It was meant to provide multiple attempts on Rastakhan’s life. Which, if you go through the Horde questing, you realize that Zul hasn’t been on Rastakhan’s side for years and years. He’s been playing the long game, waiting for his demise.

To blame the whole of Zandalar for Zul’s actions when Zul was acting as a separate unit with his own revolutionaries doesn’t make much sense to me.

The king not being aware makes no difference. An advisor to the king attacked both factions, it wasn’t him alone, he had an army. All that means is the king is incompetent or he let his advisor (that he kept as an advisor no less) do what he pleases, and in this case make enemies of the factions.

2 Likes