Banning Gold Buyers

Now that’s something a gold seller would SAY that a gold buyer would say.

This is something that a gold buyer would say that a gold seller would say that a gold buyer would say.

1 Like

OK curt, why would sub numbers plummet exponentially?

Not the brightest coin in the sack are you?

Yeah, as I thought. Nothing to back up your absurd statement.

Gold selling was always an inside job at blizzard. No one talks about it though. It is an enigma wrapped in a mystery, more secretive than the JFK assassination, reaching the highest levels of both government and private industry. Some even say it is the Illuminati itself.

6 Likes

And that was the last post Twiinkedd ever made.

4 Likes

One thing to consider, given the combination of WoW tokens in retail and a combined sub between retail and Classic:

• Gold seller establishes a central account in retail that farms a bunch of gold there.
  • Makes a bunch of separate accounts and sends them all enough gold to buy one token at a time on each of those accounts. Maybe routes it through a network or buys apples on the AH for 50k a pop or something to keep the gold trail somewhat hidden.
  • These other accounts go farm gold on Classic and are used to sell gold to Classic players for IRL money.
  • If/when some of these accounts are banned, they were sacrificial anyway.
  • The Classic gold consumed/sunk in a gold-seller ban simply raises the value of all gold on that Classic realm and makes gold selling more profitable overall for the gold sellers, in a classic loss-lead supply control strategy used by drug lords.
  • The WoW token and retail/Classic subscription link is another layer of complexity that makes the supply-side targeting of enforcement more challenging, and plausible deniability creeps in.
  • Blizzard makes more money, indirectly, from this tit-for-tat war-on-goldsellers and pretends to be concerned and enforces just enough to show they are on top of it, but it always somehow works to get more money in Blizzard’s coffers.
  • As Twinkedd points out, the Illuminati leverage this extra money to take over the world, with Pinky and Brain in tow… (cue ominous music in minor key)
2 Likes

What a great way of pissing off everyone on chat channels. Not to mention you cant really “Starve the gold sellers of buyers” cuz (lazy, rich) ppl will always want gold the easy way.

2 Likes

crickets

1 Like

They dont inlive so why would they in classic? There are more than a few arena champs playing the tournament that work for a boosting site for real money. They call it coaching…

Or instead of Blizzard spamming chat, they just use a keyword detector and if a gold seller sends a link with those keywords it replaces it with the Blizzard link. However, it shows it to everyone except the gold seller. Then gold buyer clicks the link (or copy paste) and gets banned. Also, after a certain amount of keywords the messenger (seller) gets banned.

blizzard sells gold in retail.
after the initial phase of Classic is gone, they will sell it in Classic too.

No, they don’t. That is not how tokens work. Blizzard sells game time, in the form of a token (but for $20 instead of the normal$15), and then a player sells that game time(or battle.net balance) for gold. Gold doesn’t just magically get inserted into the game, it had to be farmed by one player before being transferred to another.

edit: well, gold does magically appear in BFA, for pretty much any action you take. But thats a different issue.

Because this has worked so well so far.

As long as there is a demand, there will be suppliers.

Considering most gold selling is accomplished through hacking accounts, Blizzard probably doesn’t actually make extra money from gold-selling. Not enough to off-set the costs of dealing with those hacked accounts, anyway.

The only reason it seems like Blizzard doesn’t do anything about gold-selling is because they aren’t willing to ban people for gold-buying. Only when people stop buying gold, will people stop selling it.

Not entirely true. Token sellers never make less than what they post a token for, and buyers never pay more than the current market value, so if somebody buys a token and posts it at 200,000 gold, and the market subsequently dips down to 150,000 gold, somebody may purchase that token at the 150k mark, but the seller still gets 200k. Which means 50,000 gold was created out of nothing.

That’s how I understand it works, anyway. I know the when a seller posts, the price is guaranteed, but other than that I suppose I could be mistaken.

It’s illegal for cops to do it to criminals.

Blizzard (and other companies) can do whatever they want to subscribers.

They could just put WoW Tokens in Classic and gold buying wouldn’t be a problem!

RELAX, I’M KIDDING you can put down your pitch fork

2 Likes

I would think that the listing price and buying price are not in sync. The token you list for 200K will show on the AH for 200K when it gets to your token. There could be thousands of tokens already in line ahead of yours that were listed at different price. I would think blizzards pricing algorithm just applies to the what the price of the next token entered into the system will be rather than adjusting the ones already in the system. At least from what I’ve seen price drops happen slower than increases which makes sense for such a setup

From WoWHead:

as well as

-https://www.wowhead.com/wow-token-battlenet-balance-guide

1 Like

Not if it was a PSA beforehand. Word gets around quickly.

That said, a “2-strikes and you’re out” for players makes far more sense. Give them a warning that if they buy gold again they will permanently lose their account.

Gold farmers used to hack these accounts and sell everything on the characters anyway…and I’m unsure if Blizzard will have the customer support to restore these foolish people.