Banning Gold Buyers

Focus on banning gold buyers not gold sellers.

Blizzard should simply set up their own persuadeo gold buying website and go out onto the servers advertising gold for sale.

Anyone who buys the gold gets an instant ban.

Starve the gold sellers of buyers.

13 Likes

Ban both. Both parties are actively participating in breach of ToS.
/thread

44 Likes

Sub numbers would plummet exponentially.

12 Likes

Just for classic, Blizzard could make fake accounts to buy gold from sellers and simply ban those accounts who trade the gold.

3 Likes

If they really wanted to its very easy to ban gold sellers. People who send large amounts of gold without any relationship via mail. That simple really. Granted there is always some level of overlap but when some random character is like oh yea were gonna trade or mail this person ive never talked to before 5,000 goldā€¦ Yea red flag.

1 Like

That sounds a lot like entrapment, which Iā€™m pretty sure is illegal despite it being hilarious and virtual.

6 Likes

I am sorry, but I have a solutionā€¦ You just need to bring back the PVP solution; I shall summon Lt. Colonel Virtue.

5 Likes

Im down with honey pots to catch would be buyers sure.

Entrapment refers to law enforcement, not mmorpgs. They can do whatever they want. Good luck trying to get a local court to overturn your WoW ban.

7 Likes

Its like drug dealersā€¦ you always go after the suppliersā€¦ not the users. (to the same extent)

focusing on the suppliers takes massive amounts of gold out of circulation. drying up the suppliers either makes the player either play or quitā€¦ how are you going to buy gold when there is no gold to buy?

focusing on the buyers is just an elitist player mind set that would do nothing to fix the problem. just punishes casuals (account ban) for making a mistakeā€¦ awhile allowing the real problem to flourish and evolve.

3 Likes

Yup, because when you attack the supplier theyā€™re the ones farming the gold and hording it so that they can sell it.

Given that Blizzard can also track and view the conversations of the players in question and the interactions of how that gold came into their possession; this will not be tough to track / deal with.

2 Likes

Alternatively, Blizzard could simply put the entire illegal gold selling system out of business by providing players a safe and legal way to buy in-game gold. They could sell some sort of token on the Blizzard store that could be redeemed for a fair market price in gold.

Probably just a pipe dream though.

4 Likes

100%, and considering the medicinal properties needed to achieve such a dream I would recommend laying off for your own health and quality of life.

3 Likes

How long do I have to be clean in order to qualify for the Azeroth version of ā€˜21 Jump Streetā€™? Iā€™m hoping to get in some high speed pursuits and gun fights with those dangerous gold sellers.

Just send application into Lt. Colonel Virtue; just be aware he despises annoying players. I hear he kills them all.

Ban both, seems like a profitable venture for blizzard. Banning the sellers will rake in tons of cash though because they will just keep creating accounts regardless of how many get banned.

3 Likes

This is why there was and never will be an ā€œactiveā€ pursuit. Sure they banned some here and there but spend money to ban paying customers? Only blizz has a clue about how many buy gold in the first place. The market is huge! Iā€™ve often wondered how many of the original 8 million sub-12 million subs in wrath were real money traders. Subs started falling off when gold became easier to obtain in game and the token was introduced. I believe there is a connection. I believe a lot of those lost subs were bot gold farming accounts.

5 Likes

Blizzard doesnā€™t careā€¦ or their in on it, sounds crazy but it feels true sometimes :frowning:

I remember all through WotLK there was this one gold seller who kept spamming Dalaran every single day with the same name and he never got banned, I reported him at least 3 times a week every single week through the entire expansion and Blizzard never did anything about itā€¦ made me feel like Blizzard was in on it in some way like their getting a cut.

Or the report system was a dummy feature back then, just to make you feel like it did something so you wouldnā€™t spam their customer support. Although these days we definitely see it workingā€¦ it appears to be an auto ban system now whenever someone gets enough reports. Which sadly gets abused a lot, people get their friends to gang up on someone just because they donā€™t like themā€¦

And even after all that, and the WoW token which was ā€œsupposedā€ to fix this, theres still gold sellers in BfA, all there doing is undercutting Blizzardā€™s prices and both Blizzard and the gold sellers are getting money from it.

2 Likes

Something a gold buyer would say.

4 Likes

Yeah, and that strategy worked out so, so well. Amiright?

Yeah, there is probably an uncomfortably profitable relationship between gold buying/selling and Blizzard, where they need to work to control it but not eliminate it and thereā€™s a midpoint where profits for both sides are optimized.

Itā€™s actually a lot like how the DEA gets more funding if they make the drug lords more economically successful by the war on drugs making a mess of things but not really solving the problems.

3 Likes

Youā€™re either self righteous or very ignorant. Probably both.

1 Like