Banned for using VPN?

They are not based on an automated process. They are done manually and then when you appeal another set of eyes on the team looks at the case to see if it was handled correctly. The only process that is at all automated is Warden when it catches something that isn’t allowed, however that simply flags the account.

You can see a few threads on the first page of this forum complaining about how long it takes for Blizzard to action accounts that people think are botting. That is because Blizzard researches before they hand out bans. Now there can and will be errors at times, but those are very few in the grand scheme of things.

How was it mishandled? Them telling you that it is up held is not mishandling the appeal, what did the ticket answer say?

4 Likes

I think it’s funny when people make confident statements regarding processes they do not have the proper information on. First off take a look, hundreds of WoW accounts were wrongfully banned on 12/13 for the exact same thing I was. Also regarding my ticket, which you have no information on and I didn’t want to get too deep into. They responded saying the ticket was escalated for additional review, but it was resolved and closed by the GM. So I would say this constitutes as a mishandle. At no point did they say it was upheld. You are creating your own narrative regarding my appeal process and all the accounts that have been affected by this ban wave. If you don’t have anything constructive to offer the conversation perhaps it’s best to move on?

2 Likes

Except I DO have the proper information on the subject, that information is from actually seeing Blizzard employees (the Blues here) post about how the process works and that it isn’t automated beyond Warden looking for banned software being run, and even then it is looked into before a ban is issued. I have been posting here for over 10 years, I know what I’m talking about.

Do you have a source for this? There was an issue a few weeks back were some accounts were banned for key cloning software that shouldn’t have been (again the mistake was caught after appeals and had nothing to do with automation it was human error) but there was no indication that it was even close to hundreds of accounts. Do you have an announcement from Blizzard that this happened?

Yes that is the answer they give when an appeal is escalated, it being resolved and closed by the GM simply means that it was sent up to be looked at, i.e. resolved. That isn’t mishandling your ticket, that is doing exactly what you want them to. You should be getting communication after the escalated issue is resolved as to whether it is upheld or not, and you can appeal until they tell you that they won’t accept anymore tickets.

I am not creating any kind of narrative, I am correcting some falsehood you seem to have as to how the process is done through automation. That is the purpose of this forum, to inform and direct people on where and how to get assistance with in game and account related issues. Posting here will not get Blizzard to fix your issue or prioritize it. At best a Blue poster can give you some information, but a Blue reply is never a guarantee nor will they be able to discuss anything in detail. As Vrak already posted this forum is for directing people on how to appeal an account action not to discuss it or appeal it directly.

Also I will post wherever and whenever I want, especially if there is incorrect information that might confuse others who come to this forum for correct information. Just as I have been doing for over 10 years.

4 Likes

Yikes nice ego you have there. All you have done is spread misinformation regarding what occurred and are white knighting for Blizzard due to the fact that you have “inside” information. If you’re a GM I find it really sad that this is the type of opinion you carry of players and how you see the forums; as a tool to spread your narrative. I did not post here to bring attention to Blizz CS I did to see if others were having similar issues and was requesting additional information on how to better handle this process. No information I have mentioned would confuse anyone and maybe you need to do a little more digging in regards to the most recent action taken against players’ accounts. But I doubt you really care as being right seems to be more important to you than helping others.

3 Likes

First off I have spread no misinformation, I have corrected the misinformation you were spreading. Second I never said anything about inside information, I said it is information that has been shared on this very forum by the Blue posters (who work for Blizzard)… that isn’t inside information it is public information that those of us that have posted here for awhile have seen. Nothing about it is secret. Third I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be a GM or a Blizzard employee. That is you reaching to try an ad homium attack because you don’t happen to like the information that you have received.

You posted that the process was automated, that is not true and WILL confuse others that are looking for correct information on account actions. It is actually a bit of misinformation that gets spread quite a bit and we all try to correct it when it appears on this forum. Again one of the reasons for this forum is to correct misinformation or confusion around policies and account actions.

As far as digging for information on what you are talking about, you are the one that is making the allegation that hundreds of accounts were wrongly actioned because of automation. The burden of proof would be on you to show where that information is coming from, you obviously have the information if you can make that claim. It isn’t someone else’s job to go trying to track it down.

Also it isn’t about being right, it is about sharing information that is correct and factual. That IS helping others as it stops the rumors and innuendo that tends to flow around other forums and parts.

With that said the information has been corrected and since all you seem to want to do now is attack me and accuse me being a “white knight” or a secret Blizzard GM behind some weird conspiracy to “spread my narrative” (whatever that means), I will say good bye and wish you luck on your appeal.

4 Likes

You’re right it isn’t, the information I gave isn’t my opinion though… It is actually facts. Sorry you don’t like that. I didn’t hijack anything, nor did I make it about me. I simply pointed out that you were misinformed about automation, and tried to see what happened with your ticket since you said it was mishandled… Wanted to make sure that you got the proper information on how to fix that, or if you simply needed more information on how the tickets worked.

I never said anything about your guilt or innocence as that isn’t something that I can know. I don’t see anywhere on here where a Blue said anything about anyone being guilty either. What has been said is that you can appeal using the method given in the email that was sent when you received the account action. I can’t speak for why other players might make comments that people must be guilty, I can just speak for myself and I know that sometimes mistakes are made… that is why Blizzard has the appeals process, so a fresh set of eyes can look into the action and see if a mistake was made.

Also Blizzard doesn’t just close accounts because they think it is fun. There is literally two or three topics just from today here on this forum about people complaining about how long it takes Blizzard to action accounts they feel are breaking the rules. Blizzard doesn’t just willy nilly go around closing accounts, that would be horrible for business and doesn’t actually make any logical sense.

Using unsupported software isn’t going to get someone banned simply for using it. If that software is used in a way that is against the rules then it will, however simply using it won’t. I’ve used Razer Synapse for years, it is unsupported, however I’ve never been actioned… that is because I have never used it break the rules by creating macros outside of the game that can be used for automation.

If Blizzard rules that software is not okay they will and have warned players about it. This happened last month when they banned key cloning software, it used to be allowed but was unsupported. Most multi boxers used it, when Blizzard decided that it was hurting the game they made an announcement that it was no longer allowed and gave warnings to anyone using it. A week later they started actioning accounts for it.

Again NOT automated… Warden detects something and that information is sent to the team that investigates such things (Hacks). They don’t just ban on the spot. For VPNs what usually happens is that it will lock the account as logging in from an area that is outside where the account normally is, however to unlock the account you would only need to change the password it doesn’t actually action the account.

Now if the VPN shows that you logged in from Ohio and then an hour later logged in from Japan that is going to throw up a huge red flag and will be investigated and actioned. When an appeal is done they would probably look more into it to see if you were using a VPN. However as the Blues here have replied before, the Hacks team knows how VPNs work and have seen them in action so they pretty much know what to look for in the logs.

Again can a mistake happen? Yes, and no one is disputing that (and none of the regulars nor the Blues here will dispute that), but that is what the appeals process is for; it is so they can check and see if something was missed or might have been interpreted wrong. Your ticket said it was escalated which is much better then just getting an upheld response. That means that it needs further investigation and that they are looking into it with a deeper dive, that is actually good news. Normally we see people get the “this has been upheld” answer.

I’m not leaving the thread because you told me to or think that you can. I’m telling you that I’m no longer going to respond to your attacks about my motives and my character. I will continue to correct misinformation and give out facts. The rest of the stuff will simply be reported as trolling.

6 Likes

Bro, I thought you left?! Yikes. Pretty quick to play the victim huh? I don’t think my WoW toon can back peddle as fast as you did. Thanks for going back and actually reading my post this time. Honestly man I don’t really care. You’re a testament to how trash this community has become and having my account banned is honestly probably a blessing. Just sad that it was all based on misinformation. Hope anyone else who still cares and is having similar issues gets it resolved. Just don’t waste anytime posting on the forums. Laters, unofficial Bliss CS, forum MOD. :wink:

2 Likes

This is an incredibly poor forum to troll. The only one here who has hijacked this thread would be you. If Mourningg or anyone else here says anything untrue or misleading, it will either be removed, edited or addressed by one of our SFAs, you can be sure of that. There is a far cry of what you think may be the case by what you may read on reddit or watch from some streamer bro and what we see here on this forum as regulars. Nothing told to you deviates from what we’ve seen our SFAs say publicly here in other scenarios.

That said, please have patience. Your ticket has been escalated and you will receive further communication once their findings are complete.

8 Likes

The irony.

Who exactly is helped by your inaccurate and unsubstantiated claims?

This is called projection. It’s not a good look.

6 Likes

Contrary to how you feel, many of us have been regulars on this forum for 10+ years. We’ve seen many posts, questions, and more importantly, Blizzard’s reply - through their forum SFA’s here. It has nothing to do with ego.

The whole point of the forum is to provide correct information or answers to player enquiries.

8 Likes

Just here to back up Mourningg. They’ve been here for as long as they say they have (much longer than me, and I’ve at least lurked CS since we had the “old forums.”)

To be fair, all of the regulars posting in this thread are speaking truth, as they always do. @Gohardbro, it’d behoove you to take their advice onboard, instead of resisting so much.

6 Likes

I see stuff like this and I just shake my head. I’ve reported bots, and gold sellers, and other stuff, and it seems like it makes no difference to Blizzard Support that fly hackers, and real abusers of the system (the herb botters in felwood, EPL/WPL, WS) and xp/mat botters in Silithis, etc never seem to get the hammer.

Pretty disgusting IMNSHO.

Operative word being “Seem”. I understand that you don’t the level of insight necessary to see what happens there. We deal with those all the time, sometimes it is more effective than others depending on the situation. In some cases we can break how their bots work, in other cases we can figure out how to detect or block them so that we can remove the accounts entirely.

It is an ongoing battle though, as they will be back as soon as they can figure how to get around what was done or adjust their program to try and remain undetected.

Now, since this thread has gone a bit off the rails and has mostly become argumentative I’m going to close it. Thanks all.

8 Likes