In Memory of Banestooth

11 years ago I had the great pleasure of sharing the news with many Warcraft community members the story of Banestooth’s heart transplant that saved his life and gave him new opportunity. Sadly, this week, that heart gave out and he passed away.

I just wanted to let all of you players and especially the workers at Blizzard know how much joy you brought to his life. In Azeroth he could run fast, fight hard, and jump high, things he was denied in real life he could do there. He could meet and talk to people, which was one of his greatest joys, with out having to face the painful challenge for him of standing up.

Thank you, all of you for interacting with him over the years, I hope if you met him you can just take a moment to remember him. He was not the greatest Orc Warlock of the scoreboards but he was the greatest man I have known.

And Blizz, he was eagerly waiting the new patch, if you had heard the delight at seeing Thrall in the new clip, you would have been moved by your own skills. He was also looking forward to Classic to begin the fun all over again. Plus one more person I need to thank, I know he doesn’t work there anymore, but he may read this, Mr. Metzen, thank you for the joy your tales and renditions brought him.

Now I know this is the internet and there will be the whole snipe crowd, I won’t call you trolls, because here trolls are noble people, just know that he loved interacting with you too and you have lost a counter poster who thrilled to tease right back.

Thank you all for participation in the escape that brought him so much fun and delight for nearly a quarter of his life.

P.S. You might see his characters online as I place them in the final resting places he asked for before we have to close out his account. So know that it’s not a sympathy ploy, he actually loved the game enough to have asked me to take care of his beloved other selves.
-edited a few typos

47 Likes

I didn’t know him, but he sounds like the kind of player World of Warcraft needs, these days.

So sad when Real Life crosses over and affects the Fantasy Life we all play, it makes you realize that life is short and that we should all live it to the fullest.

Condolences and prayers to Banes’ family and friends. It’s sad that he didn’t get to see the next patch, but at least he got to see the moving trailer with the return of Thrall.

5 Likes

F

Ten characters

3 Likes

/salute

Semper Fi! :us:

4 Likes

Rest easy Sir!

4 Likes

Rest in Peace Sir!

/Salute

5 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss, losing a friend is never easy. :worried:
/Salutes the fallen

4 Likes

I am so happy he had 11 more years to enjoy what he loved and to be with friends who cherished him.

6 Likes

My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of his family and friends.

As much as some may not understand, this game can be as real as the outdoor world to some.

May he and his characters rest easy, knowing how much he is honored and loved.

:blue_heart:

7 Likes

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for that story.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this story. Banestooth is a name I will not forget both in and out of my adventures in Azeroth. He seemed a true and kind soul.
May he rest in peace.

3 Likes

Rest in Peace Sir!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing his story, OP. I never heard of Banestooth, but I’m glad I know a small part of him now.

3 Likes

To Banestooth!
SKÖL!
Slams one
To Blackangus, truest of friends!
SKÖL!
Slams another one

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Rest in Peace.
/Salute

2 Likes

To all who have responded, thank you, last night the family sat in his living room and we read these on his TV. It helped, immensely. Our parents and relatives were stunned at the kind words you have posted, know that in our grief your kindness has been appreciated.
Thank you.

This is still Black Angus, I have no idea why it posted under this character, but it’s still me.

(Not to single anyone out, but Rhielle, thank you so much, I think your words helped my parents who always thought this game was just a waste of time or a bad addiction realize what it truly was to him.)

3 Likes

Genuinely saying, I’m so sorry for the loss… nothing said can make things better but thank you for having the strength to share it for him.
I’m sure he would be very happy if he’d be here with us.

This is a point where I’m happy that this gaming community can bring another meaning for such people - I’m glad he had joy in the game and the people he met.

Thanks for sharing his story.

2 Likes

Spotti, I was just his arms and legs, he was the heart and the brains. I had to share this, its helping me more than you know, Thank you.

3 Likes