Ban RestedXP

Problem is the makers of this addon are in a discord with the devs and anyone against these sorts of things are not. So that tells you who they listen to straight off the top. So it is a pointless thing. They in essence have allowed work arounds to the TOS with “technicalities” because it benefits creators they listen to.

The same thing goes with WAs too. Just like Rested it hides behind “free addon” that you “just have to buy packages for”. So you just shove things behind patron, twitch subs, or just straight up buying guides and you can monetize the living hell out of addons. Its only a matter of time before all of them work this way and by then they will certainly do something but its a problem they seemingly want to happen.

2 Likes

every addons is againt tos , at the moment you have an advantage over others , is againt tos !!!

I personally can’t understand the usefulness of using a paid addon guide? It’s pretty easy to play this game. How much time does it really save you? (Genuinely curious)

2 Likes

Its just to prey on peoples insecurities. What if I am not fast enough? What if I get left behind?

Because with the quest helper in the game now… you just go to the dot on the map right. Which is more or less what Rested is. Minus it might say dont take this quest until the next time you return because you will be going over there on the next round sort of thing. Now in something like Classic, it made a little more sense imo, because you had to jump between zones, remember to go back to the pervious ones, hit certain quest levels to jump to the next round of zones and so on. But pretty much after TBC it was like… you just move though the zone… almost in a straight line…

So its a waste of money. But people will get suckered. Unless hour of the 100s of hours you probably end up investing into Cata those 10-15 minutes you could have shorted questing really turns the corner at all on your quest to be world first elite raider guy. Probably not.

I use RestedXP (free from a site) and it just removes the question of where to go next, did I miss that quest, etc. it gives me direction where I’d otherwise flounder. Not so much for the Classic/TBC leveling but for WotLK I’ve not really taken note of where things are, where to go, who to talk to etc. Even though I’ve leveled 4 characters to 80 I don’t really know that many of the out of the more “hidden” quests within Northrend.

As for time saved well I’ll just list what it does.

• Auto accepts/completes quests
  • Auto clicks dialog
  • Has a window that shows who to target whether that’s an NPC to hand-in a quest or an enemy to kill/simply target.
  • Has a window that shows the item needed for quests, or hearthstone when it wants you to head back
  • Puts markers on the map with numbers (which correlate to what step of the guide you’re on)
  • Auto selects flight paths including a fiight timer.
  • Quest arrow
  • Daily quest guide
  • Attunement guide (Argent Tournement, Shadow Vault, Dun Nifflevar (Frost Giants) and Gunship daily unlock guides)

For time saved, it definitely helps that you always know where you’re going without having to come up with it on your own and with the targeting and auto complete/accept definitely saves time but what I think will save you the most time is epic flying.

1 Like

It’s obvious that this is against the rules though people try to argue otherwise. Why Blizzard doesn’t enforce their rules on this is anyone’s guess. Paid weakauras are also prevalent.

I would certainly argue that is prohibited under the rules I quoted above.

8 Likes

A company is not legally bound to enforce their ToS. It’s not a loophole, they just don’t enforce it for select addons like RestedXP. Likely because they have a working relationship.

Anything that deals with the API which is created by the community is technically an “addon” as per Blizzard’s own definitions in the ToS. That includes WAs, stand alone addons, and profiles/scripts. So yes, TSM profiles shouldn’t be monetized by the community as per Blizzard’s ToS.

1 Like

Controversial take.
I think the opposite should happen and the banning of paid add-ons be taken out of the ToS.

You should ask Bethesda how that turned out when they tried it.

1 Like

I thought Bethesda started trying to monetize add ons with the “creators club” or whatever it was called

Rumor has it, this might be a paid for addon but not 100% sure. Can someone confirm?

Here is a fun fact for you to digest. Blizzard can make or break any rule they see fit in their games.

End Of Story

3 Likes

Them not doing anything is an act of compliance on Blizzards part, the fact that they don’t act means it’s fine to do.

But it’s their profile/weakaura, they made it themselves with the addon and they’re not developers. If one had the knowledge anyone could make it because it’s provided within the addon itself (talking about TSM and Weakaura specifically). I honestly don’t see an issue with it.

this lmao, why are people so stressed about how fast you level?

majority wont even be 85 first week yet will buy/use restedXP, makes no sense

1 Like

I understand that Blizzard chooses not to enforce their own written rules in this case. It’s still a fact that selling anything add-on related is against those rules. I think they should update their policy if their stance on paid add-ons has changed.

Charging money to download a weakaura is obviously prohibited under those rules :person_shrugging:

I’ve never used RXP but I suspect it probably violates these parts of the policy as well?

1 Like

While the paid part of RestedXP is certainly against ToS, Blizzard has never really enforced that rule. Weakauras are being sold for money. Even back in the “gooooooood old days” where everything was good and the game had GMs, Zygor sold guides without punishment.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion - OP I hope your sitting down for this one. I love RXP and it’s one of the only reasons I am still able to play WoW at all. I started playing in 2006 when all I had to worry about was doing my homework and going to bed on time, ie I had the mental bandwidth and time to play all day (no regrets btw). Fast forward to 2024 - I am a boomer with a full time job , one hell of a commute, and a full plate of standard adult sh** to do on a daily basis.
In a given week I MIGHT have the ability to play for 1-2 hours a couple nights a week and maybe a bit more on the weekends. My drug of choice in this realm is Classic WoW - it’s the game I fell in love with and I am very grateful that it’s available now in Era form (retail feels like a cheap WoW-Scape like PServer that I have no interest in but I do understand time wise it probably offers more for a player like me, but no thanks) - RestedXP allows me to feel like I am ALWAYS progressing on my 1-60 path, even if I can only squeeze a 30 min session in, as opposed to just trying to find my own way through Azeroth (again, not 14 anymore with unlimited time to burn).
Do I understand that not everyone has X$ or whatever to throw at an addon? Yes, entirely, I was also that broke kid. Does it TRULY effect YOUR experience in any way? No not at all. I can tell I am beginning to rant and I think I made my point pretty clear, I’m sure someone will push their glasses up and tell me I am wrong but that’s the internet. At the end of the day, I just want everyone to be able to have the same amount of fun with this game that I know it can deliver.

TL;DR - I like it because I suck at leveling and I can’t play 12 hours a day.

5 Likes

What is the “real” thing it does beyond being a guide? Is it like an AI girlfriend?

This made me giggle, thanks!

1 Like

While I don’t like third party selling of addons or other things related to the game, I do think addon creators really helped WoW become the giant success it was.

I honestly think Blizzard should have hosted addons themselves on their own servers from the start and even given a small amount of sub money to addon creators each month, distributed based on addon usage. Like even just 10 cents of each persons sub each month should have gone into a fund that was distributed to addon creators.

They could have even had like an addon awards ceremony every year at Blizzcon to celebrate the best addons/creators.

Blizzard has financially benefitted substantially off of what was essentially free-labor from addon authors. Some addon distributors give addon authors some ad money now from their addon updating software, but I doubt it’s very much.