Balance druid revamp for Shadowlands is a problem that Blizzard needs to fix, and here's why

In the Shadowlands alpha build, balance druids have been given the eclipse system that they used to have years ago up until Legion. Throughout Legion and BfA, they ran on the empowerment system instead - a far superior setup.

Under the empowerment system, druids could choose to either attack with Lunar Strike or Solar Wrath, depending on the situation - AOE or single target. Under the eclipse system, that choice is taken away. Instead of being able to choose how to approach the situation, the only way to get the damage empowerments for each of the two spells is to continue casting them repeatedly through each stage of the cycle. This means that if you need to obtain the Lunar Empowerment for more damage, you’ll need to cast Solar Wrath approximately five times to do so, regardless of whether you are fighting a single enemy or a small mob.

If you need to do this while fighting a group, that means that you’ll need to continuously focus on single target attacks instead of hitting them all at once. It’s either that, or you sacrifice your upcoming empowerment buff. Regardless of which of the two choices the player makes, they lose out on a significant amount of damage in the fight through no fault of their own.

Under the current empowerment system in the live game, the player controls how the combat is approached. Under the eclipse system, the combat controls the player instead. Balance druid players had to adhere to the eclipse cycle’s demands every moment of combat regardless of the situation. It felt like constantly appeasing some AI entity that dictated how you were supposed to play.

Bellular mentioned that the alpha build for balance druids “just does not feel good,” and stated that he felt they really lost what they had going on in the revamp builds. Many other players have also complained. No one was asking to bring the eclipse system back, and I haven’t seen a single player praising its return. It was removed years ago because it was believed to be too problematic and controlling.

Under the current empowerment system in the live game, balance druids get to choose what they want to cast first based on the enemies around them. Under the eclipse system, we cast according to the UI display up in the corner of the screen. We don’t get to look at the battle nearly as much and we instead are forced to pay attention to a cycle of movement just below our character frame. Of course players always need to pay attention to their health and other resources displayed in their character frame, but it shouldn’t be the foundation of the majority of the player’s attention in a fight that can make or break their success.

Please, Blizzard, remove the eclipse system in Shadowlands. Players want to choose what to cast first and choose how to approach the situations they are in, they don’t want the game to constantly make those choices for them. Players loved the introduction of the empowerment system in Legion because it gave them more room for personal choice and approach in battle. We love that sense of personal choice; that greater sense of agency and control. Implementing the eclipse system back into the game would take all of that away from us, and the class just simply wouldn’t be nearly as fun to play anymore.

62 Likes

All of the review videos of boomkins and the reviewer saying “Why… did they bring this back when it never worked before?” it just the cherry on top… Blizzard is tone deaf.

The boomy changes on top of losing the massive amount of secondary stats in the squish is going to be severely off putting to most players. Going from like 20-30% haste to half of that with the eclipse system is gross…

Alot of people are guessing it will be legion 2.0 and the class is designed and balanced around legendary but that has never been a solution before so why should it start now?

A legendary or item should not fix a class. A class should feel fun and engaging/intuitive or its a terrible design

28 Likes

I find Balance Druid quite boring to play honestly. It’s much easier to explode things with Balance than Feral. Balance feels very polished. The empowerment system is rewarding when played correctly and isn’t difficult to execute. Sometimes I feel like I’m scrambling with Feral and I don’t even use Bloodtalons.

Personally, I think the empowerment system is completely redundant.

There are resource generating abilities and resource dump abilities. Let the player choose the right tools for the job and provide them with enough tools to use creatively depending on the situation. For DPS, this isn’t rocket science, there’s single target and there’s AOE. That’s it.

4 Likes

Yeah the eclipse system with haste cut in half is just a terrible combination of entirely negative traits without any upside to it. And you’re right, a class isn’t supposed to be broken in such a way that an external resource fixes it like an acquired band-aid. A class should feel whole with the extra resources adding onto it for fun and excitement. Implementing external bonuses that need to be stapled onto the existing structure has never worked in the past, so it should never be approached in the future, but I think that’s what’s going on.

2 Likes

I agree, I don’t understand why we are moving backwards. BFA/Legion boomie has been close to perfection, just add some cool stuff and don’t completely change the way we play. I thought this game had evolved from cookie cutter rotations that you can make a macro for.

21 Likes

The balance changes make zero sense. Eclipse never worked, nor was it ever fun. The past 4 years are the best balance has ever been imo. They are literally changing things just for the sake of it, and it’s making the spec a crap ton worse overall.

25 Likes

I am so, so sick of people posting on the druid forums thinking that the eclipse that is coming in Shadowlands is the eclipse bar from MoP to WoD. DO YOUR RESEARCH

5 Likes

Gonna repost my response to someone else who’s an advocate for the Moon spell from Legion’s artifact system.

The Moon system should replace Eclipse system. Each spell you cast in a different sequence should either increase the moon’s cycle to a full moon, once you’re in a full moon a big moon gets dropped on the target once the cycle ends.

3 Likes

Sconce, this post is in response to doing such research. Just because the new eclipse system is different doesn’t mean it’s good. Again, a variety of WoW players reported the changes over YouTube videos and it’s been pretty much nothing but complaints.

6 Likes

Well said!

3 Likes

The post is full of misinformation. There is no meter that is being pushed by casting wrath or starfire. Even the Bellular video disagrees with what you said, and it’s outdated. You won’t need to cast 5 wraths to get to lunar eclipse, etc.

Go and actually read current info on the spec before you decide that you don’t like it. Your post reveals that you don’t understand the changes that are coming. And instead of listening to someone like Bellular, listen to top druid players like Cyous.

3 Likes

I’ll take a look at it again, maybe it’s been altered since my last viewing (it is alpha, after all), but Bellular and some other YouTubers described and expressed the same complaints, and the five cast requirement was specifically mentioned and was viewed as a downfall of the setup. Maybe it’s been improved since I checked, which was a few months ago.

Edit: The meter is no longer there but it’s still screwy and restraining. Nearly everyone in the comments of the videos of the alpha demonstration are saying negative things about it; it’s almost all complaints, with many saying that they’re going to abandon the class entirely. Some channels are describing the new system as being “at the mercy of the game,” as described in my initial post. It’s a horrible setup, and it needs to be changed.

4 Likes

Symbor, give this article a gander. It’s a good breakdown by Tettles of the current Balance alpha build (which had some changes from the initial build).

What I like is, even though Tettles is an advocate of the new-ish Eclipse system, he still gives positives & negatives around the whole class kit. He covers the Covenants too.

I wasn’t too pleased to hear about an Eclipse return, but after looking into it & ignoring YouTube hype/bashing, it’s a different way of looking at empowerments. Although it’ll likely be boring (rotation) without gear that injects some spice like Oneths, etc.

2 Likes

I second the recommendation of Tettles’ analysis. Unlike Bellular who I imagine can hardly find time to play WoW between editing his 12 daily 20 minute videos, Tettles actually plays Balance at a high level.

2 Likes

Please blizzard do not bring back eclipse it is so bad compared to empowerments. Nobody in their right mind wants to cast aoe skills to proc a single target buff to then cast their single target skills and visa versa by the time we get into our aoe the melee will have already killed the trash pack. Please please listen and revert this change.

8 Likes

I mean, I’d if anything advocate doing away with both eclipse and empowerments. Maybe something more like Fire Mage has where we have a simple buff that effects more than one spell at a time to give us a choice instead of discreet charges for one nature and one lunar cast.

1 Like

How I wish this was built into eclipse: https:/shadowlands.wowhead.com/spell=329970/orbit-breaker

I’d like to know why they are changing it up. Have people been complaining?

2 Likes

Lots of people are complaining about new changes, a few are complaining about current empowerment system. I get the feeling of empowerments being useless, but I think eclipse is the wrong way to go too.

PVP:
Getting into eclipse requires 3 hard casts. This means extremely telegraphed burst so good opponents can easily prep/LOS/stun it. Additionally, if its “go time” and its more reactive, aka someone did something stupid and a kill opportunity has opened, balance will only have CA/incarn to instant burst. While lack of instant burst can be fine it either needs to be VERY strong, or improve upon already high base damage(meaning high damage outside of eclipse). I think this is the wrong way to go.

I want to see a pvp talent which makes getting into eclipse easy, or even automatic. Some options off the top of my head would be: after 5 seconds of being outside of an eclipse you enter the next eclipse cycle, solar wrath and lunar strike now trigger their respective eclipses after one cast, (new spell) causes you to enter the next eclipse cycle for 15 seconds, 30s-1m cd, the cd of incarn/CA is now 1m, lasts half as long. I think you get the point of what im getting at.

PVE
I think I’m fine with eclipse returning for pve; I think its pointless because its still just press 111111111,22222222,1111111 with some starsurges and dot refreshes. This is fine because as long as sunfire solar aoe is roughly equal to starfire aoe so we dont suck in m+ like in BFA. While I say this is fine, I still think it will be boring.

I largely agree with a popular opinion coming out where we ditch the eclipse system. You want us alternating between solar wrath and starfire? Okay give us a real reason. I see a popular opinion that wrath should proc starfire, I like this personally. If starfire was a 3s cast that did real damage, think wrath and before when a starfire crit was huge. Give solar wrath a chance to proc a starfire at a 1.5/2s cast with x% more chance to crit.

I want to say this in bold: this would also make owlkin frenzy feel good again. It used to be a detriment to train a boomie because they’d do extra starfires, since lunar strike became a thing this feels like poop, very un-boomkin like.

This also opens up some new options, like maybe an increased damage phase > line up 3s cast to boom soon as it hits, or cyclone ending on pvp target > get that burst soon as it drops etc.

I think I’ve said enough, sorry if this was ranty.

TLDR
if we end up stuck with eclipse, please make sure solar and lunar aoe is somewhat balance for M+ purposes. In pvp please give us a way to enter eclipse without too much hassle. I’d rather a fun system without empowerments or eclipses something like wotlk much like the popular request where starfire is big nuke, wrath is filler, wrath procs starfire fast casts.

Thanks,
Myt

8 Likes

100% this.

Lunar Strike currently just feels like a worse Wrath. As you said in PvP training a boomkin used to be a risk/reward thing. You may burst us down but you enabled us to spam a nuke on you as well. Now when we get trained we tickle them.

One design change Id personally love to see is Starsurge/Starfall return to WoD’s design. 2 charges shared with your damage having a chance to restore a charge.

4 Likes