Balance druid "chip damage"

Guys, Stellar Flare is a talent trap. It’s not fun and forces us to spend too much time refreshing dots.

1 Like

stellar flare should really just be a talent like

if your target has moonfire or sunfire and the other is applied. the target receives an astral burn.

and a new dot is applied automatically

11 Likes

Is this a pve or pvp thread? I feel like it’s hard to gauged where Balance is right now as a spec because raging pvpers keep hijacking every post and or the OP isn’t clear on pvp or pve. This forum need a “tag” system.

1 Like

It’s a pvp thread. But I have found a build that works well in pvp. I’ll link my build after I get home this weekend. Also, haste>verse>mastery is going to be my stat of choice. That way if my dots fall off or are dispelled, I’m still doing damage with verse.

1 Like

:thinking:. It’s hard to tell where anything is because it’s too fresh.

One thing I think we can l agree on, myself included, is that it’s a little global heavy.

here is my build

BYGAYhlYdy9RJ6ROrphOEi69vCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAoAQSikAChkESi0gSSSOQSSKJgDEkUSaJhkINAA

Does well against most comps, BG’s, world pvp.

Still, the amount of reliance on DoT’s overshadows out big hitters. Starsurge still imo needs to be the finisher. the big boi. big beefy damage.

i find almost 0 value in starsurge anymore. Ive gone multiple bgs without even casting it now.

The extra time added to dots from the Aetherial Kindling talent combined with damage from the pvp talent Star Burst. Means I am getting waaaaaay more damage out of each starfall push rather then starsurge.

its really sad even in mythic dungeons im using starfall for single target dps because of the increased dot time and throwing in extra generators instead and it seems to be performing as well if not better than starsurging… that move is almost dead in the water right now.

2 Likes

With all those dot mechanics, i don’t understand why we cant have Adaptive Swarm. I can’t understand what the purpose of this talent tree is. Whoever is working on this talent tree either has no idea what they’re doing or isn’t paying enough attention.
I feel the astral power cost to cast star surge is too high and I don’t feel it’s powerful enough to justify its cost. Stellar flare feels so bad to press i refuse do go trough this talent even if it means less damage.

1 Like

The problem: Blizzard has essentially designed two styles of DPS.

#1: Burst
#2: Ramp

Feral has good burst damage. Balance has ramp up damage. Ideally, if a spec has a ramp-up time to max out their DPS, then the reward should be clearly superior overall performance.

The problem is that balance doesn’t ever get there. Balance on a 3 minute fight never breaks even with feral that has already had 2 burst phases. It’s just stupidly designed. Balance needs a tuning pass to make it worth bringing to any content.

1 Like

Most people have 200K HP. Tanks are in the 300K+ territory.

Hard agree.
I personally liked BfA Boomkin (been playing it since Cata) because each ability, as few as we had left before the unpruning, felt different and meaningful and was a part of a rotation that made a cohesive whole. Having a damage profile (now) where ~7 different abilities all hit for nearly the same amount indeed feels out of whack. I understand the Starfall nerf was warranted due to its newly stackable nature (although I think that in itself is a bit weird given it works like pre-Legion again). IMO they should keep Starsurge at 40AP but make it hit like it did in Legion or BfA at the very least. Having Astral Power to spend should primarily ‘fuel’ a choice between Star surge/fall, I think Circle of Life and Death is an overkill TBH, we already have crazy APM (M+/PvP – dots, dispells, cc, rotation, etc.). They could make Full Moon a nuke spender cooldown as well…

2 Likes

I mean I agree that our damage profile is a bit out of wack. But I’m bg’s and arenas I have found amazing success with my build. The problem with starburst is you have to play a mini game to go pick up a star then get into melee range to do damage. Using starsurge builds crit and if you focus on haste and vers, they seem to do alright. Also making sure you have 3 dots on the target with either mushrooms, astral smolder or when you hit your incar and apply orbital strike to your target you get a bit more damage. If you play with your roots, stuns and mushroom slows you can beat almost anything. Currently ele shamans are the only true issue I’ve had. If it’s 1v1 a melee, I don’t have issues either. (Except sun rogues, those guys are issues) regardless, I would still like a 10-15% increase to starsurge, and reduce the AP cost by 5. Even after playing beta, prepatch and current live, I still try and shoot them out at 30 AP. It’s just muscle memory.

1 Like

That change in beta killed me.

I love pooling ap, clone off target, beam healer, dump ss into kill target.

The spec felt so good before that beta change. Could’ve tuned numbers rather than alter things like that.

The problem is if they just tuned numbers, starsurges would be hitting for 5k with the amount you were able to pump. I want my starsurges to hit like a S&W 500. Not a rapid fire .22. Full moon should hit like a Barrett 50 cal when fully casted.

Also, I would like a full AP bar to be able to hold 3 starsurges.

I mean obviously man lol.

Now this would be interesting if true but something tells me it’s not. I can’t accept that yet. Any logs back this?

I was sad to see that leave balance too :frowning:

How close are they, according to top players? Because you can’t just say ramp should be better due to ramp. That’s like saying a class should be better because it’s harder. Otherwise EVERYONE would play it exclusively. They just have different dmg profiles.

Ironically people asked for this. Bfa was terrible for dmg profile. It was ALL starsurge. Nothing else did any dmg at all. So dumb in my opinion.

This dmg profile is better by miles. They can tweak whatever for fluidity but I really hope they keep it so other spells actually matter. Bfa was shallow. I don’t know how people liked it. It was just simple but completely mindless.

1 Like

I miss MOP\Legion balance too, i hate the dot style i prefer big nukes. Does anybody really enjoy dot boomie over mop,cata or legion?? I am so surprised they decided to go with the whole dot thing. Like feral is a dot spec why make balance also a dot spec.

1. Starfall was better as a big aoe nuke cooldown, cyclone should be our astral spender. It was far more fun, the new starfall is a snore.
  2. Remove stellar flare from the game and just make the stellar flare talent just upgrades your moonfire to also apply sunfire and do more damage so we dont have to spam all our dots 24/7. This would make it so we have one button to apply both sunfire\moonfire and we dont have to spend a ton of time spamming out these boring dots.
1 Like

Actually, the more I’m playing DF Boomkin, the more fun I find it to be.
It feels great to have many of our tools from the great un-pruning return, and it looks to me like if I play well enough I can still top dungeon damage on bosses or when I stack starfalls in aoe. Indeed, we have some returned complexity that was missing for years. I haven’t PvP’ed yet, and I think a DoT playstyle is always good for us in Rated BGs.
I agree, all spells should matter, but they should also feel different. Maybe a balance between the two damage profiles would do the trick? I’m thinking more like MoP (iirc) :smiley: