Background changes to Addons and their functions in 10.2.7

A tweet was just linked to me that stated testing on the 10.2.7 PTR revealed that the way certain addons (Comms addons, namely TRP3 for my Roleplaying Self) are about to be completely hamstrung by a rate change to how fast they can send/receive data.

Looking for any form of clarification on this as it seems the functionality of these addons is going to go straight into the dumpster. Tests are showing for one profile to show up it went from a few seconds to 20-90 seconds. Two profiles was a few minutes. More than that and the problem exponentially rises.

While I know this doesn’t impact many, this will be pretty harmful to the RP community overall and events like Worlds Faire Carnival and Tournament of Ages (Community hosted and run events that do charity fundraising).

Any light or insight into the addons changes would be appreciated.

Edit: Adding the link to the tweet that was brought to me and correct the title

Edit 2: Tossing in a post that was sent my way from Reddit about this issue and links to forum posts to use to voice ones opinion in a collective. Will add more if its relevant or adds to getting feedback on this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoWRolePlay/comments/1cgmgrw/make_noise_about_this_rp_addons_severely/

40 Likes

I am hoping this will get changed, this really negatively affects roleplayers. Using RP addons like MRP or TRP is basically a staple to get a view of another players RP profile which can give information like the physical description of ones character.

I think a good suggestion I saw mentioned would be to limit this change to instanced content (if possible, I don’t know the technical aspects of the changes) if the intent is to limit raid addons since most RP happens outside of instances.

20 Likes

A sound idea but it also might hamper the spaces to RP in if War Games suffers a change like this. Still its rather important that this change does not go through without consideration of what this is actually hitting in terms of addon development and usage.

8 Likes

I haven’t RPed myself for a good little while although I used to be more enthusiastic about doing so. Realms such as Argent Dawn EU and Moon Guard US are more than just Goldshire. There is an active, creative and enthusiastic playerbase on these realms that engage in the ‘Roleplaying’ part of this MMORPG. I encourage people to check out places like the Argent Archives to get a feel for servers such as Argent Dawn and understand the investment in those thousands of entries of stories and events that have taken place throughout the years.

From the simplest of little chats in the middle of Stormwind (which has been continually hampered by world events as of late, which is fine, but the ‘uhhh…you forgot to turn the sharding back off’ is less fine), to small guilds taking part in DND style campaigns utilising Azeroth as the setting, back-alley brawls in Stormwind’s crime-infested Old Town, all the way to the gigantic serverwide events such as the Tournament of Ages or the recreation of huge lore set pieces such as the Mak’gora at the gates of Orgrimmar toward the end of the Fourth War. All of these moments are made possible through the use of addons such as TRP in the absence of any proper tools, not even something as simple as the adventurer plate like in FF14, which, whilst I’m talking about it. Please consider adding a similar feature to WoW.

Addons such as TRP also allow you to see at a glance who actually is a roleplayer, and who is currently in-character. Not everyone on RP realms is an RPer, or may not be interested in RPing at that time. It is easy to tell at a glance right now who is looking for Roleplay and will be made more challenging if addons such as TRP are throttled.

It’s important to stress just how vital addons such as TRP are in fostering the RP community and for keeping it as active as it has been and why the RP community on WoW is so successful compared to other MMOs which lack addon support in quite the same way.

Content droughts or patches that don’t really hit that well with the rest of the playerbase have less of an impact on RPers because ultimately these players make their own content, all of which is aided greatly by having addons like TRP working properly.

It would be appreciated if there could be a deepdive on why these changes are being made and if there could be any consideration toward RPers, such as these changes only going through in instanced content if this is targeted towards addon usage in M+ dungeons or raiding.

8 Likes

Good news everyone! The addons are flowing again! (Turns out this was a bug)

3 Likes