Autorun Issue

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently rejoined after a break and I’ve discovered an unusual issue with autorun. Up until now, I’ve been able to simultaneously press my left/right mouse buttons to move forward, press the autorun key, release the two buttons, and my character would continue moving. Additionally, when autorun was enabled, I could actively switch between both mouse buttons and WASD keys to steer. Now, pressing either/or will cancel autorun.

Strangely, using the WASD keys and autorun work as expected; the issue seems limited to using left/right mouse buttons. I looked through the forums and saw others have had issues with autorun, but not this specific issue. Nothing about my system has changed since I last played a few months ago. I’m just using a standard 5-button mouse. I’ve tried the following:

• Disabled ALL add-ons
  • Tried changing autorun keybinding
  • Reset interface/keybindings
  • Completely uninstalled/reinstalled WoW

I’m not sure what to do at this point other than try to get used to using WASD instead, but I’ve been playing this way since before Burning Crusade, so that would be a huge adjustment.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

1 Like

You may want to ask this in UI and Macro since it’s not related to installing, patching, or connecting to the game.

Do a UI reset again, but maybe try running /console cvar_default as well. Most of the under the hood CVARs are stored on the servers and their values will persist after a client side UI reset or reinstall.

That being said, I’m not sure if there are any CVARs that deal with autorun. I’d have to check. But I played some WoW earlier and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary with autorunning and the different click/key combos I’ve used since vanilla. It’s one of those things that sticks out absolutely immediately when you play other MMOs and they don’t have the same autorun/run/click feel, so I definitely feel your pain…

A couple more things to try as well: disconnect any controllers you might have and make sure absolutely all other programs are closed that could potentially have an overlay and cause WoW to go into some weird pseudofocus mode.

1 Like

If you want to mouse-steer while using auto-run use only the right mouse button. Using both is the same as pressing forward, which will cancel auto-run by design (and has done for over a decade).

I don’t think they meant both at the same time when they said “switch between both mouse buttons.” They probably meant camera with left click and steer with right. But yeah, if you’re autorunning and press both, you stop or if you press W/S, you stop.

May be related to this -

1 Like

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I was digging around and found the cvar reset command and tried that last night. Unfortunately that didn’t work, but I haven’t tried the default command yet. I will try that later and report back.

What’s strange is that no one else that I play with is having the issue either. I got several folks to try it and it works as intended for them as well. Even more strange is that it was working just several months ago, and nothing has changed about my system. I haven’t added any new programs, devices, or peripherals.

Hopefully the default command works, thank you again!

Edit: It would not allow me to reply anywhere in this thread, so here’s the update:

I was able to log in and try the default command. Unfortunately that didn’t fix the issue. However, after I changed around some keybindings, I discovered this issue is unique to mouse button 4.

I remapped the autorun toggle to a key on my keyboard and it works as intended. Both mouse buttons >> begin moving >> toggle autorun via keyboard >> character continues moving.

If I remap the autorun toggle back to mouse button 4, it no longer functions correctly. Similarly, if I remap the autorun to mouse button 5, it works as expected. This is a very bizarre bug, and someone else did post a link to a thread where folks were reporting a similar issue back in May. Blizzard reported that issue was fixed but clearly this is a different version of the same issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.