Automated Bans will slowly destroy Classic

the only one I see them taking action on with 100% certainty would be infernal bombing low level areas.

everything else I feel will depend on the GM since I’m pretty sure ‘excessive’ harassment is against the ToU for the game and that term is broad and up to interpretation.

You’re misunderstanding my point, I’ll clarify.

The rules of the game allow the behavior I mentioned, and I plan to carry out the behavior with that assumption.

The people who play the game, on the other hand, DO consider it harassment, and whether its warranted based on the game rules or not, they WILL report me. I WILL be reported many times for my behavior, and the automated system that is already in place in Blizzard products will ban me because its unable to determine if I actually violated any rules or not. As demonstrated by the examples of wrongful bans I provided.

4 Likes

Sitting at the border of The Barrens and Stonetalon Mountains and killing Horde players who are like level 16-25 just entering the zone.

Sitting in Dun Garok in Hillsbrad hanging out a bunch of beer-drinking alpha Dwarves, protecting them, and wiping Horde groups.

Sitting Shadowmelded at the bottom of the Great Lift in Thousand Needles.

Sitting at the triangle in Ashenvale. Just as they cross North through the Barrens into Ashenvale, a road leading west to Astranaar and East to Splintertree. Hang around that point and savagely kill any and all fresh Horde.

Higher level s***lording -

Hanging out @ the Bulwark waiting for fresh 50-55s to come through enroute to the Cauldron.

Getting neutral with Timbermaw Hold and using Gnomish Mind Control Cap to MC players into throngs of Furbolgs.

I’ve got a ton more if you want to kill allies too. I’ve mastered the art of being reported and raged at. Entire reddit posts on private server reddits.

xd

4 Likes

No. It won’t. The automated system does not ban you.

The worst that would happen is you’d be temporary silenced, as was the case for Grubby.

7 Likes

Except your examples were not wrongfully banned nor were they even banned. A Silence is not a ban. It is an action that prevents players from chatting for X amount of time. PVP will not result in action against you.

3 Likes

Silence in HOTS is a ban from ranked play.

He was turned down by the GM on appeal and only had the ban removed later mysteriously (most likely due to other Blizzard employees watching the stream and sending word.)

2 Likes

Cool.

What does that have to do with WoW? That doesn’t apply to WoW.

You don’t get auto-banned in WoW.

13 Likes

The automated system in place is not there to ban. It is there for chat squelching. If you say nothing, you won’t be reported for chat violations, and you won’t ever be automatically silenced.

YES, at some point (whether it is 8 hours or some other length of time), a GM might review the reports, and give you a warning, asking you to move on - or might disconnect you.

However, they will not ban you for that specific activity unless you’re exploiting or using automation (botting) to do so, and whatever action they take will be decided by a human GM - not a system.

9 Likes

I’ll update my OP since there are many players here who haven’t actually played HOTS and dont know that a silence is a ban from ranked play.

4 Likes

Might want to make sure you update it in a way that is actually relevant to WOW: Classic - not to try to make it sound like you’re right that it will destroy WOW: Classic.

10 Likes

The only thing that is automated is the squelch.

3 Likes

We play WoW which has nothing to do with HOTS. A SIlence does nothing but silence a player in WoW. So, your point is basically moot. No one here cares what happens in HOTS.

6 Likes

You should probably just delete it since auto-banning isn’t at all a thing in WoW. Save yourself from further embarrassment.

6 Likes

It’s relevant to Blizzard games, of which Classic is.

2 Likes

And…you have proof of this?

If you are causing enough of a stink to annoy a large group of people, you are gonna get squelched, and when the GM reviews the situation and agrees, then you will get a silence. So far I haven’t seen a hint of anything that there is an Automated Ban/Suspension in WoW.

5 Likes

It applies to Blizzard games, of which Classic is one.

3 Likes

No. It applies to HOTS, maybe. I wouldn’t know.

But they’re two different games. It’s just plain stupid to assert that what happens in one game will happen in another.

That doesn’t apply to WoW or to Classic.

3 Likes

how many times do we have to tell you there is no auto-banning in WOW. Yes, we get that HOTS is a Blizzard product but the penalties are different. How does auto banning in HOTS have anything to do with WOW?

6 Likes

Wrong. There may be some mystically and mysterious auto-ban from ranked play in HOTS that results from a Silence, but that doesnt ever happen in WOW, its not part of the game. So, no its not in all Blizz’s games. In WoW a player is only silenced, their ability to login and play is not affected at all.

5 Likes

But it wouldn’t cause a ban in WoW. Just an inconvenience, at the worst.