Auto-censor/ban in WoW

There’s currently no repercussions for falsely right-click reporting someone. Whether we’re talking retail, or classic (especially), what place does this feature have in this game? I understand you can appeal, but that appeal process is not immediate.

So, we can expect:

Battlegrounds - a whole team reports a flag-carrier, or other difference maker, auto-disconnecting them. Win.

World Boss / Guild Rivalries - guild A right-click reports guild B while fighting a world boss - instant disconnect, maybe for that main tank or healer who are going after gear for progression. Guild A right-click reports guild B’s main tank/healer or other difference maker(s) before a raid, auto-disconnecting and preventing them from raiding. Such an easy way to win realm accomplishments.

Farming devilsaur or mining nodes? - Good luck. The “devilsaur-mafia” type groups did in fact exist, and likely will again. Don’t want that competition? Whole group right-click reports you, auto-disconnect. No more nodes or leather for you. Win.

Enchanters - selling your services in Org/IF? The competition can be stiff. Enchanter A gets his good guild buddies (the same ones he rolled on gear for in that dungeon) to right-click report enchanter B - silenced and/or auto disconnect. Competition gone. Win.

AH Competition? - happen to come across your lowly AH competitor in your favorite capital city? Right-click report and encourage your guildies to do the same. No more competition… by the time he’s back in the game your items would’ve already sold. Rinse/repeat. Win.

Questing - low spawn rate on those quest mobs mixed with a bit of competition? Just right-click report. If you have some friends around, have them do the same. Auto-disconnect and the quest mobs are all yours. Win.

World PvP - have a little 1v1 that turned into SS vs TM? Good fun. But now you can have your faction right-click report that beast on the other side that’s tearing everyone up. Auto-disconnect for him, more HK’s for you.

Etc. Etc.

There are so many ways this feature can and will be abused. To simply right-click report someone and have them auto-silenced and auto-disconnected is as easy as it gets when it comes to any form of competition in WoW. Sure, you can appeal, but you might get resolution later that night or the next day. How is that a solution? It’s not.

There are just times when a good old fashioned human are needed. This is one of those times.

11 Likes

Yes, there are repercussions. People have been punished for false reporting. IIRC, the one mentioned on the old forum was a ban.

And the right-click report applies to chat channels, not fighting other players.

Stop fear-mongering.

9 Likes

In the case of exploiting the system to gain an advantage - there’ll be reward losses, penalties and bans etc…
Top raiding guilds used to do nasty tactics all the time - then a few permanent bans - or week long bans, and nowadays they are pretty decent and respectful to the system.

But something tells me that this is not how this system will work.
And lets be real - every time you kill a devilsaur you’ll be stunned by a rogue, and then he’ll skin it for you.

It is not solely for silencing people via chat channels. You can have people auto-disconnected if enough unique players report. Do a little research.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/an0dxc/blizzard_has_dropped_the_ball_on_the_new_report/

6 Likes

This subject is very disturbing. Hold on while I go start a thread about it.

If enough unique players are reporting a single instance, then that action is easily viewed by a human at Blizzard. If all of those unique players are fraudulently filing, they should be made examples of.

This handwringing about the automated report system is so very transparent.

8 Likes

Refer yourself, to the already made Thread:

But they’re not. There is no repercussion for doing any of the items I listed in my original post.

Auto-squelch is easily my most despised change to Classic WoW. I can’t think of a worse “feature” in a game whose main draw is social interaction and persistent community. Right-click trolls are 100% going to abuse the system, and non-trolls (debatable) like Fallana are going to report anything remotely controversial, and chatting is going to be stunted because the community will be forced to talk on egg shells. I’m all for removing toxic chat, but toxic chatters won’t be the only victims here.

Also, I didn’t realize that it only takes 5 people to silence someone; I thought it would be dozens. That’s messed up…

2 Likes

hmm yah, reddit, Im sure all the ‘examples’ are really legit too,lol.

6 Likes

Oh look another auto squelch thread by a new avatar skin. Who woulda thought.

1 Like

Dammit I hate tossing you hearts.

1 Like

lol , sorry, I’ll quit trying to be agreeable :O)

Didn’t i like something u posted the other day too? LOL

At least I cast a light on the paragraph issue.

Let’s get back to debating AV versions.

2 Likes

Maybe you should take a look at the examples yourself. Just takes a click of a link.

This feature isn’t something we think exists. We all know it exists. You can clearly see examples of this feature in action if you’d take the time.

But I suppose it’s easier to just stick a one-liner in here and be done.

2 Likes

Yep falsely reporting people is bad if it harms others.

If some guy and his guild reported someone for spamming when they said 1 thing in chat, then the guild members should all be banned or censored.

2 Likes

Spamming “LF1M healer then G2G” more than 3 times in an hour is still spamming.

in an hour no it is not, in 30 seconds to a minute yes.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware that was actually a debate… Pretty sure the overwhelming majority preferred one of the earlier, more npc heavy versions vs the modernized race to the finish nonsense we have on live that everyone blacklisted.

Or where you just listing that out as an area where most of us have actual common ground?