Authenticator Help Please

Hello,

I was not able to make a Mythic dungeon today because it said I had to download an Authenticator App and attach it to my account.

The thing is that I already have an authenticator attached to my account which is a small hard one. I bought it from Blizzard after I had been hacked and they said it would help me from being hacked in the future.

So, I have a small hard authenticator already attached to my account and I do not want to be locked out of my account by downloading an authenticator app.

Also, what happens if I accidently lose the small hard authenticator I already have attached to my account?

Thank you.

You should be able to list the group fine with just the authenticator, you just can’t add custom text.

In order to customize, you need the authenticator and Phone Notifications enabled on your Battle.net Account.

Once the latter has been accomplished, it can take up to 30 minutes to reflect in-game.

Additionally, the physical key fob is no longer being manufactured. If you have a smart device capable of connecting to the internet, you can download the free Authenticator app (Blizzard, not third-party) and switch it over in account settings.

4 Likes

Indeed. It looks like you have an Authenticator attached, Acero, but not a phone number. If you add one, that should give you access to custom messaging for group finder, and additional inventory slots for your main backpack.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/299796

6 Likes

I bought one from Amazon last year.

It does work I have had to use it a few times.

I am not worried about it. My password is extremely long.

A Blizzard Authenticator? If there are any around, those were likely manufactured some time ago. I found one on that site, but it was listed at 8 times what we used to charge.

I would use caution, as I don’t believe there are any official resellers for the physical Blizzard Authenticator anymore.

7 Likes

Echoing the caution recommended by Vrak.

As of July of 2019, Blizzard was not making them anymore. Any seemingly new ones are not official and could be compromised.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/physical-blizzard-authenticator/237506/15

7 Likes

They may be old stock that originated from us, but I would still urge caution.

6 Likes

Ekon and Vrak are correct.

I had one of the official wow authenticators back in the day. I’ve also had my hands in a lot of gear. As it got older, my thoughts were, well, if anyone could replace the battery on this sucker, I could. Not so easy. It’s kind of diffcult to keep the power going while replacing the power (battery). And that is probably part of the design intent. In the end, while possibly possible, it was not worth the effort.

A bit deeper, roughly, these devices need the batteries to keep the internal clocks ticking/counter incrementing. The batteries keep ticking, the numbers match. Lose the battery, no good output, no good authentication with server askin/verifying, no log in.

Batteries only last so long. They all decay. If these are 4+ years old at the youngest, they are unrealiable and approaching the end of their life. If there are no official outlets for these to provide the initial dongle-to-server crypt sync, then these are the original old ones. Blizz’ suggestion to move to phone authentication is very good advise.

Finally, it is slightly pssoible someone went through a ton of effort to clone/duplicate/create new ones. Doubtful. Maybe they found an easier way to solder in a new battery while power is supplied, also doubtful.

This is all guessing, of course. But guessing based on experience.

It is best here to follow official Blizz advise and move to the new authentication/verification methods. There are reasons.

2 Likes