August 24: Soju Slam Showdown - IC Drinking Contest - Win gold and art!

Event Logo: https:// i.imgur(dot)com/ mMI69es.png
Discord: https:// discord(dot)gg/pqTWAuc
Website! https:// rigley(dot)me/soju

Normally viewed as a weak alcohol, soju is seldom considered a challenge for the seasoned drinker. However, the Stormstout Brewery has developed a new ‘Super Slam Soju’ that is guaranteed to make even the hardiest of brewmasters black out. A challenge has been issued across Pandaria for the brave and the possibly foolish to test their prowess in a drinking contest. All are invited to attend the Soju Slam Showdown, to be held at the front of the Stormstout Brewery.

Date: August 24th
Time: Registration will be from 3:00-4:00 PM PST the day of. Competition to follow after.

The Soju Slam Showdown is a drinking contest and a social gathering for roleplayers on Wyrmrest Accord and Moonguard. Prizes of gold and art will be offered to the contest winners, while spectators and attendees will get a chance to win art via a raffle at the end of the competition.

Prizes
All art prizes will be provided by Wuvvums. A quick reference for quality and style can be seen here: https:// i.imgur(dot)com/ KYahvYT.png. To receive an art prize, the player must be 18 years of age or older. Gold prizes will be ready for anyone on Wyrmrest Accord. It may take longer to deliver gold prizes for anyone on Moonguard. Auction House fees may apply, depending on the faction it is being sent to.

• Grand prize winner: 50,000 gold, a full-bodied, flat colored art piece, and IC title: Soju Slam Champion!
  • Second prize winner: 30,000 gold and a flat-colored headshot!
  • Two runner-ups will receive 10,000 gold and a flat-colored headshot.
  • Raffle grand prize winner: a flat-colored, full-body art piece!
  • Raffle follow winner: flat-colored headshot!

Mechanics
Each player is allotted 12 points. At the beginning of the round, they will do a /roll 20 and emote accordingly. Players will have 2 minutes to make a roll. If they do not roll in that time, then they will forfeit 3 points for that round. The moderator will then record the amount of points deducted based off the following outcomes:

• 1 - lose 4 points.
  • 2-10 - lose 2 points
  • 11-19 - lose 1 point
  • 20 - no points are lost

When both moderators are done recording the change in points, they will announce the beginning of the next round and the step is repeated. When a player reaches 0 they black out, and are eliminated from the contest. The contest will go on until only one player is left. In the event of a tie (the last standing players reaching 0 concurrently), the tying players will do one roll, and the highest roll will be the winner.

Raffle
The raffle is free to enter, but tips are appreciated, and will go towards supporting future pandaren rp events and various activities by Pandaren Pals. To enter the raffle simply whisper Yinyu - Wyrmrest Accord if you are Horde, or Xiang - Wyrmrest Accord if you are Alliance. The raffle will be held at the end of the competition.

Committee

• Xiaolen - Wyrmrest Accord: head coordinator, moderator for Horde competitors.
  • Suohung - Wyrmrest Accord: moderator for Alliance competitors.
  • Yinyu - Wyrmrest Accord: raffle ticket counter for the Horde.
  • Alsowey - Moon Guard: raffle ticket counter for the Alliance.
  • Tsurami - Wyrmrest Accord: will be giving out elixir of tongues for the Horde (WRA only)
  • Drinkiepoø - Wyrmrest Accord: will be giving out elixir of tongues for the Alliance (WRA only)
  • Volunteer positions are available for anyone who wants to give out elixir of tongues on MG.

Rules

• The elixir of tongues will be required. It is best to arrive early and get some from the committee members designated in the section above, or bring your own.
  • Competitors will have until the end of the registration period to sign up. Once the period is over, no one else will be allowed to enter. However, people can enter the raffle up until it is drawn, and a last call will be put out.
  • Keep OOC chatting in raid to an absolute minimum.
  • Anyone who is OOCly or ICly disruptive may be asked to leave. This includes making remarks intended to incite conflict, attacking other players, and continuing with a certain behavior after being asked to stop.
  • Try to keep any incidences of IC racism low key, or to yourselves. Even if it ICly makes sense, it can create a situation that may be hard to address when the committee staff are busy. Thank you!

Sponsors
Several Pandaren guilds have given me permission to mention them in this post. Representatives may be in attendance during the event, should any Pandaren attendees be looking to join a Pandaren guild. Message uwu#4767 on discord if you want your guild listed below:

Wyrmrest Accord Guilds

• The Pandaren Empire (Alliance)
  • Kegfist Brewery(Alliance)/Bartender’s Union(Horde)
  • Pandaren Pals (Horde)
  • Jadepaw Dynasty (Alliance)
8 Likes

Super excited to help out!! I’m looking forward to seeing everyone!

1 Like

Alas, won’t be able to make it. But this seems like a really cool, fun, and well thought out event! Always nice to see these sorts of things happening.

1 Like

Seems pretty interesting.

1 Like

Sounds like fun, count me in!

1 Like

Thanks for the support, everyone. As for you, Gadaric, I think depending on the outcome of this, I could see running another eventually! Brewfest would potentially be a good candidate for that, but it would mean I’d have to scramble to get prize stuff together again so soon. ^^;

I’ll get some folks up on this.

#approvalstamp

2 Likes

Thanks, Lianshi! Also I’ve been handing out some fliers ICly on my orc last night. I do want to hit up Alliance, MG (and maybe WRA’s Alliance as well), but with the Tournament of Ages going on that’s probably not the best time. Feel free to spread the word!

Kegfist Brewery is excited to be able to attend and assist at this event! We’re honored for the role and I’m personally very excited to help some people try some soju at the event! Hope to see everybody there!

1 Like

More things are underway in preparation for this event!

https:// discord(dot)gg/pqTWAuc I made a discord for anyone who is going to the Soju Slam Showdown! It should make it easier to coordinate raids and deliver information on the event. The discord will be deleted a week after the event has finished!

A website is also in the works that will be shared as soon as it’s ready! Thank you! <:

Hi Everybody! Special notice for participants; we have removed the race bonuses for the drinking contest so everyone has an equal chance of winning the prizes! Hope to see you all come out for a fun Soju slinging time!

5 Likes

Looking forward to it! :cat2:

1 Like

Thanks, Suohung!

I also wanted to mention that the website is now up at https:// rigley(.)me/soju/
I also managed to raise gold on both servers and factions. This means that we will have no problem giving out prizes now whether the winners happen to be Horde, Alliance, or on Moon Guard and Wyrmrest!

There is going to be a decent amount of leftover gold from this. I think this means that if anyone is interested in a more general drinking contest around Brewfest (possibly a collaboration between the Pandaren, dwarf, and orc/goblin communities) we could put one on around then! But we’ll discuss that after this event is done. ^^;

Also looking to see you there, Sarena!

1 Like

Would LOVE to go to this but I work pretty much all day Saturdays. Hope all going have fun!

2 Likes

Ah, that is a shame to hear, Zhiifang! Currently I am considering taking some of the leftover resources from this event and channeling it into another drinking contest to have around Brewfest. I’ll want to see if there is any partnering I can do with the dwarf community for that, but it would still hopefully have a pandaren twist on it! <:

1 Like

Giving this another bump since we’re drawing close to Saturday! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Hey! It’s not too late to pre-register for this event! You could win big gold prizes and art prizes for drinking, and even just for showing up!

1 Like

We’re going to meet on Friday night at 8 PM PST (this is 2 hours behind MG) to try out a run of the roll system. ICly it’ll be treated as a trial anyone is free to come and attempt, but there will be no prizes for it. Just thought I would mention that!

2 Likes

Hey, we are 2 and a half hours from this response to the start of the social hour prior to the actual contest! Hope you guys can make it; lots of prizes to win whether you drink or not!

I had a lot of fun! Looking forward to future Soju slams :hearts:

1 Like