Auction House Update

Just implement a centralized auction house for all both factions, all servers. Something similar to GW2's Trade Post.
1 Like
08/27/2018 06:00 PMPosted by Joetrader
Feedback : this sounds like a very sensible plan and I support it 100%, since you will not put min caps of say 10.

Except, there are entirely valid reasons to buy small stacks. Sometimes you just need one or two ore. If I'm just one herb away from making a potion, why would I want to buy a stack of 20?

That said, I doubt the proposed change is going to make a big enough dent in the issue. A better solution would be to clump up all of a seller's items into single giant stacks, and allow buyers to choose how many of a given item they want to buy from that stack.
2 Likes
08/27/2018 06:02 PMPosted by Manzini
How about we bring back the mobile auction house? You know make the armory app valuable again? Or just an actual auction house app.

MAKE ARMORY APP GREAT AGAIN
I really don't think this will solve too much. If the items sell you basically lose nothing. You guys seriously need to consider a cap on the number of auctions. I know it is not great for those who do mass auctioning but lets face it, that is the only true solution. Those who auction considerably I imagine are probably a minority. I can easily see a 100 auction cap working decently though. Not sure how much relief it would truly bring but it's an idea.

The only way this would work is if the community ignores anyone making 1 stack auctions in mass quantities on the AH completely so they actually lose gold and are thus discouraged.
Looking forward to the upcoming interface change. Thanks Devs.
This is good progress given the context that it's a temporary measure, however I believe more will need to be done to prevent the flooding of items in the AH that's detrimental to our experience as players.

There should be an actual penalty rather than a 'temporary' deposit holding since these people have the money to wear the temporary deposit costs. I understand that you're only looking at temporary measures for profession materials, but please reconsider the cap on how many listings you can put up on a per-item basis. No one needs to sell 200x1 listing of an ore, when it takes us 5 seconds to move between pages and very well over 1,000 items listed we are left very frustrated.

Longer term, the buy/sell order model like in OS Runescape is great and caters to a lot of what we see filling up trade chat: 10 people all posting 'buying X for Yg each' 'buying X for Zg each', and so on.
08/27/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Shailean
Just implement a centralized auction house for all both factions, all servers. Something similar to GW2's Trade Post.

I'd love this for commodity items with a revamped buy/sell interface. I can't imagine it's an easy thing to implement but I think it would benefit the game in the long run.
We both know that the way to handle this is in a UI upgrade. Changing player behavior ... okay, fine. But what needs to be done is a UI update to how players can sort without addons. Then the ability to purchase multiples of the stack amounts listed. Collapsible by item and then username. I really hope you guys are working on this in the meantime. It's the right thing to do for your players!
It was said at blizzcon 2016 we would see changes to the auction house in 7.1 or 7.2 but we never got any update. Glad we are finally getting around to this, but can we also get a change that lets you order the auction list by expansions?
08/27/2018 05:59 PMPosted by Kriggs
It's impossible to know if a change like this is going to work or not, until it shows up on live servers.

If I were making the change, i'd probably opt for a somewhat hamfisted "minimum 20 stack" on crafting reagents. Storing all of these one item auctions is probably a contributor to the immense lag the AH has seen since BFA launch.

And yeah, the AH interface needs all the help it can get.

Minimum 20 for white crafting reagents. 3-5 for green.
08/27/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Shailean

Or the exchange in RS, or the buy/sell orders in Eve, much simpler for sure lol
08/22/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Ythisens
In either case, the deposit is returned to the seller if the item sells. Successful auctions aren’t affected by this change.

Yeah, this won't work. Market values are ultimately set by the people posting thousands of 1-item stacks. The cost of reposting will just be absorbed into the item's average AH value.

Just set a cap on postings of trade goods.
I'm glad that steps are being made to mitigate the issue, but I don't know if it will necessarily work out as like said before, they can still be rewarded if other players buy it.

I believe maybe a cap on auctions that a single account can post on per realm, or something similar as such may have more success.

I don't spend a lot of time auctioning, but I don't see why anyone would reasonably need to post 100+ auctions at one time unless they were trying to spam auction items in stacks of 1.
1 Like
What about disabling add-ons such as Trade Skill Master that interfere with normal auction house operations? Why inconvenience the whole player base for the benefit of the (comparably) few?
1 Like
Let people search for specific words in items. For example if I search "Leech" I would get any item with the word Leech in any part of it, either as a stat, in the description, or in the name of the item.

Not even AH addons have this option. Put it on the default AH.

Similar to how google search engine works.
08/27/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Dirkalock
In either case, the deposit is returned to the seller if the item sells. Successful auctions aren’t affected by this change.

So nothing will change then?
1 Like
Successful auctions aren’t affected by this change.

This is the big problem with the plan. A former guildie justified his 1000's of stacks of singles with "well, they always sell." How would this change his behavior?

The other problem is the assumption that people listing these auctions will notice the deposit difference. I sell a lot of things and I'll admit I have no clue what the deposits are on what I list.
1 Like
Even though I applaud blizzard to attempt make a change to the AH as it drastically needs it to try to reduce the terrible lag, this band-aid fix wont do anything. Blizzard seems to think that people that post in 1's will actually care about deposit fees, they don't now and they wont after. Plus these deposit fee get returned if it sells. lol. This wont change a thing. We really need an AH that's fully re-coded, rebuilt from the ground up, focused entirely on being able to handle much more ques much faster (like 10x faster). That if you ever have lag issues you can just add hardware (add a server) to speed it up. This is the only fix that will truly work, and also would be thinking into the future, and this is what i hope blizzard will actually do in the end.
I buy single stacks all the time. They're usually ridiculously cheap and I just repost them in normal sized stacks at a higher price and make a killing. It takes surprisingly little time.

Honestly the only solution is to rebuild the entire AH and how it works. The proposed solution by Blizzard is like putting a band aid on a bullet hole.
This isn't going to solve much of anything.

Instead, there should be a single visible price (the lowest price) for each commodity, and buyers can specify how much they want to buy and be quoted for the lowest price of an order that can fulfill that order.

Example: Alice is selling 5 Flask of the Currents for 2000 ea. Bob is selling 7 Flask of the Currents for 2150g ea. Charlie is selling 4 Flask of the Currents for 2300g ea.

David is looking to buy 6 Flask of the Currents. When he opens the AH, he is quoted one value: the price of Flask of the Currents is 2000g each. When he tries to buy 6 of them, the game picks the cheapest 6 flasks on the market. That's 5 of Alice's and 1 of Bob's. David is shown the total of 12,150g (2025g ea.) for 6 flasks. If he accepts, then he owns 6 flasks, Alice has no more flasks on the market, and Bob has 1 less.

Perhaps Blizzard is skittish about doing so much of this market processing on their end, but with all of us only able to query the AH for 1 page at a time, I dare say that it would save them a lot more in terms of market queries we're making.
1 Like