Auction House Much Slower Today - June 16

This is actually good timing for me. My time expires is 25 hours and I won’t be buying more time unless this is fixed. I only post a couple hundred items a day and it is taking way too much of my time to list stuff on the AH. Its making the game not even enjoyable at this point.

6 Likes

Hey,

Just wanted to post my own feedback saying I understand the concern listed here but to exclude those that want to play the game this way does not seem like the correct solution to me. Addons have been used since the game’s inception to improve aspects of the game and modify to one’s preference.

To essentially disable one of the most used goldmaker addons in the game is surprising to me, to say the least. There must be another solution so as to not hinder the game’s servers but also not blunt goldmaking addons.

Just my opinion, hopefully an alternative can be found soon.

4 Likes

only thing TSM is useful these days is finding out prices averages and keeping stock of sales, if blizz adds this ingame, they tsm is completely useless. Since this hotfix does not effect the stock keeping sales, still nothing bad about the hotfix.

2 Likes

So Blizzard is taking the stance of disliking transmog farming and gold farming in general? Gold farming, especially transmog farming is a huge time investment, if one doesnt have tsm, it would literally take hours upon hours up hours to post 800+ items, let alone post it at 12 hrs, and that is a small amount of items for a focused and smart farmer.

Want to know why a small amount of players control the large amount of auction activity? Because it is a huge time investment, it can take a long time to sell items and theres a pretty high knowledge ceiling for people to know what to farm, what markets to keep an eye on, etc. So people quit soon.

Want to know a fix that would ACTUALLY fix a large amount of AH activity that doesnt require the skill? Start banning multi-boxers and bots.

18 Likes

Fun detected; fun removed! Typical Blizzard. Yet another reason not to keep subbing.

9 Likes

You seriously need to hire an economist consultant because nothing you have done for this game’s economy has ever been positive.

This change harms the economy by deterring the “minority” that helps keep the economy flowing as expected. It is also the minority that keeps obscure, low demand but still purchased items in stock at all. The average player does not engage with a substantial majority of the game’s items outside of checking off boxes such as transmog and mounts - many of which require high-value but low-demand items that the minority will now find not worth posting.

Time is money.

This change will accomplish the following:

1. Deter players who enjoy the gold making aspect of the game from playing at all.
  2. Reduce the overall quantity of items available on the Auction House.
  3. Make low-demand items even more difficult to acquire by “normal” players.
  4. Destroy the transmog market.
  5. Degrade the already stale experience of engaging with one of the most shallow MMORPG economies out there.

You also failed to communicate this extremely important change in advance and seem unwilling to find compromise or revert the decision, which is exactly what brought us to the disaster that is BfA as a whole to begin with.

Please reconsider. This is a terrible change that isn’t going to accomplish much other than make the experience worse for everyone who uses the Auction House - including your “typical” players - due to a decline in the economic stability and availability of niche goods.

EDIT: I have made a post with some proposed solutions, and the performance, average user, and economic benefits here: Auction House Much Slower Today - June 16 - #332 by Powerworduwu-wyrmrest-accord

36 Likes

Please revert this change, or consider widely broadening the throttle.

I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, goldmaking (and thus, using AH-posting addons) has become the reason I log on to the game between raid days. If it weren’t for the completionist drive of wanting to post one of every profitable item on the AH, I’d be logging in to other games instead of going to farm old-world content.

In terms of literal service issues, I don’t know enough to speak to what kind of problems they cause.

In terms of economic advantages - I don’t see an appreciable difference between using one of these AH addons for gold-making and using say, weakauras for raiding. They help you do the task better.

I know I’m not the worst offender here (I don’t have a second account that is constantly cancel-scanning the AH to take down and repost items), but I do have several hundred auctions I repost each day, and this will, after a bit of testing, roughly triple or quadruple the time I spend just standing at the AH.

I actually think this will HURT the average player more than help, because it’ll drive inflation. My thought process here is that if it’s significantly harder to post lots of items, then those items just won’t get posted, which reduces supply.

Speculatively, (and cynically), this will likely also hurt account sub metrics - I’m sure a lot of multiboxers will stop paying for those 2nd-8th accounts if they can’t post all the products they’re making.

I dunno, I’m just generally against this because I don’t really accept the premise that it’s needed. I’m biased, obviously, though.

14 Likes

So, I think it’s pretty obvious whose gameplay experience is harmed by this change. But who’s experience is improved? I assume you made this change knowing that it would be a major pain point for people who spend a lot of time on the AH, so I have to also assume that you feel that trade-off is worth making the game better for some other group. From your explanation it seems like this is meant to be better for people who only occasionally use the AH for a small number of items, but I can’t see how. I play on a high pop server at peak times and I’ve never had a problem with pulling up the auction house and buying/listing a handful of items.

So maybe this is all about narrowing the competitive gap between people who use addons to scan and cancel/post and those who don’t, but I can’t see it being very helpful there either. The people who are willing to spend many hours checking and rechecking the AH will still do that, and will still have a major advantage over those who can’t or won’t spend that amount of time. Only difference now is the people who have the most fun playing the AH will now have less fun.

7 Likes

You do realize that without people like us there wouldn’t even be an economy…

3 Likes

It would seem now, that these changes favor the multiboxers/multibotters since they are only farming up massive amounts of single item types to post on the auction house. I’m a bit concerned as to how this is going to shake out.

10 Likes

Playing the AH was a big part of my gameplay during down times of the game context. It kept me in the game.

I haven’t played the AH lately but would be livid if I was with this hot fix.

Even just running TSM to get market values is great.

This needs to be reverted. This is a poor way to handle an issue that isn’t even spelled out correctly!

5 Likes

Seriously, revert this stupid call! You have a freaken 5 million gold mount in the game, you can’t get to that by only posting 1-2 auctions a day. If you’re going to do something as stupid as utterly destroy a major part of the game a lot of PAYING customers play for, then you need to give everyone gold cap, and unlimited of every item so we don’t need to use this sh!tty system anymore.

3 Likes

ahhh once again Blizzard trying to solve imaginary problems.

@Blizz you just killed an entire emerging “scene” of new goblins that got into playing the AH, farming mats and mogs, watching videos etc… triggered by the longboi race.

Seems like when players are having fun, but not playing the game the way YOU want us to play it, you just have to intervene. As Preach said in his torghast video, LET US PLAY THE WAY WE ENJOY PLAYING!!!

6 Likes

I agree with a lot of this. Until I got into a bit of goldmaking (I’m not one of the ones w/ 8 multibox accounts and doing constant cancel-scans, but I do do quite a bit of farming), I didn’t realize quite how much the AVAILABILITY of a lot of items is propped up by a very small few.

2 Likes

As a new goldfarmer, Im farming a damn ton of different things, transmog, materials, pets, mounts, anything that has value I farm it, I have over 1100 items so far, and with the 8.3 revemp it’s already really annoying to post them all, as it takes about 45 minutes, now if after 50 items I have that " throttling fix " and the 1050 items takes 3-4-5 seconds to post each of em instead of 1-2 seconds, that means I at least double my posting time, which means at least an hour and a half just to post them all.

Now im not even talking about scanning the prices with TSM, for sure people using addons are going to have a lots of advantages with the auction house, but why would this be a problem now ?! Like yes we’ll have an advantage, but why don’t these players just INSTALL these addons ? It takes 2 seconds and it would make everyone equally powerful in the Auction House, but as you guys said, only a small majority of the players are making a large traffic, but what do you want more than that, it’s just normal as prolly less than 20% of the player base is actually using the Auction House as an everyday goldmaking technic, but without these 20%, the auction house would miss more than 70% of it’s items. ( All these % are just an hypothesis ) And literally all the economy would suffer from that on each single servers.

Now im lucky I posted my auctions this morning at 7am, so I at least have 24 hours to make a couple of gold before I get slapped in the face by this bad throttling system. Please remove that " fix ".

Also, if you guys thinks that addons makes people to powerful, why wouldn’t you guys work WITH the TSM creators and make an auction house TOGETHER ?! At least them knows how to create and fix something in the auction house that has a great impact on the players. You guys should take some help from them and make a working " fast post " auction house, as it’s completly annoying that is hasn’t ever been done in over the passed decade.

Also, if you guys at Blizzard Inc. think that the auction house and the game is experiencing lags because of those addons, then you should probably upgrade your servers, as they are really bad anyway and they have been for the passed years. You guys make millions a years and can’t even make the Alterac Valley that YOU GUYS created work well with 40 players. Just upgrade your servers and everything will be better thant it has ever been, and the Auction House will work fine without you guys putting that " throttling fix " in it.

7 Likes

There have been addons for the Auction House since forever. For sure since Auctioneer was created and then now that TSM has taken over. Why make the change now? It’s unjustified now after giving us 15 years of allowance of addons for the AH.

1 Like

Good Luck posting 130 glyphs using anything else.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed Blizzard likes to do this type of thing. It’s called the Door-In-The-Face technique and it’s used to shoehorn whichever new agenda they’re currently pushing. They look at the data and see that the minority is doing something that the majority isn’t doing(master looter, anyone?). Then, they focus in on how to push the minority data set to becoming like the majority data set. “Most people don’t play like this so you shouldn’t play like this either.” Next they’ll come back with more reasonable but still restrictive measures with this new system. Quoting Blizzard on this post: “If the current settings are too strict, we’ll want to relax these measures.”

2 Likes

Jeepers! People are so sensitive about how much they can click at a time! The change makes a lot of sense for me but they need to change the threshold; AH bots are a problem on some servers but it shouldn’t be in the way of a player clicking at a normal time.

Feel free to whine at me, I won’t see it. I don’t use the forums and just happened to see a link to this page and found it hilarious how some are quitting because of it.

2 Likes

Has blizzard lost their damn minds? If they have an issue with people spam querying the AH, why is the system not a reactive one? Why make it proactive and screw over the ENTIRE userbase? If Space horse (A) goes and drops a 100 potions and glyphs into the AH every other day they should not be throttled. But if GoldGrubberGoblin (B) drops in 100 potions and glyphs every MINUTE then apply a REASONABLE rate restriction with a cooldown. Say 25 items, a minute until the spam stops. Repeat offenders get the usual. Rinse, repeat.

1 Like