Auction house changes, yay or nah?

Finally did a relisting of my 100 or so items. No problems encountered using the AH, no noticeable change in the competition.

Yes, this is why you have to deal with the under-cut issue simutaneously; only allow an auction to undercut by a minimum of 5%. I also like someone’s idea of making canceled items wait an hour before delivery. They need to break the scan-cancel-repost cycle.

Yeah let me just buy out all the herbs on the AH and repost at 10k a piece.

I’m not sure an hour would be enough, but yes - time is a trickier opportunity cost here, because the players engaging in this behavior have already demonstrated that they have a nigh-infinite amount of it.

The problem wasn’t thousands of identical single stack posts by an individual seller. The problem was that the AH UI displayed them all. This problem could have been solved without changes that affected seller and buyer behavior.

1 Like

Okay; that’s step 1. Now you own all the herbs that were up on the AH. If we remove the ability to cancel, you’re guaranteed to be undercut immediately and locked out of doing anything about it with what’s on the AH for a certain amount of time.

Additionally, you’ve just encouraged every character with the herbalism profession to get out there and get pickin’, because there’s profit in them hills. They’re probably going to undercut you now, too.

You’re going to have to keep extremely careful track of what you spent on those herbs to make sure the market doesn’t dip below where it was before and now you’re going to lose money trying to sell them.

It’s not like herbs are scarce or anything - anybody can go get some, relatively easily.

Without the ability to cancel and repost rapidly, I don’t think someone buying the entirety of the market will have the impact you think it would.

3 Likes

Behavior didn’t change, though. The cancel/repost spam was incredibly real under the previous iteration of the AH design as well. It might LOOK slightly different now, but the behavior remained exactly the same: cancel when undercut, repost, scan, rinse, repeat.

I’m not sure exactly what change you’re advocating for, but until cancelling is broken as a viable strategy, the problem will remain.

This is a good example why it has to be a multifaceted approach.

• Cancel locks or extensive delay in returning items.
  • Undercut limits or significant penalties.
  • FIFO
  • Longer durations (7 to 14 days) for low volume items.
1 Like

It Dumb.

Really theres no more detail needed. Thats all the feedback required.

2 Likes

Blitz worried about people selling in the AH but still turns a blind eye to all the multiboxing and loading of thousands of herbs, cloth, ore, RARE mounts weapons and gear. Multiboxers getting 8 drops to legit farmers 1 drop = loading 8 times the amount of items that anyone else can.

1 Like

TBH, I feel they are probably next. People say that Blizzard approves of what they do but Blizzard also has the right to change their mind as leadership changes. In addition, the EULA does give Blizzard the right to ban all of them (and really any of us) for any reason.

Another potential change that could help is to allow us to post things for longer durations.

I currently post 400-500 battle pets and other slow selling rare items every 2 days. If I had the option of posting for 4 or even 7 days I’d gladly take it and use the AH less frequently to help keep the lag down.

Also the author of Tradeskillmaster Sapu as well as his team are open to discuss any changes that can be made on the addon side of things to cut down on API calls and speed up the experience for players as a whole. Please reach out to the community and work with us not against us.

3 Likes

He’s trolling. Just report him and ignore.

Big agree on all points here!

I was merely trying to illustrate that there is nothing INHERENTLY wrong with someone trying to run a market, IF all the items you listed were put into place.

Your solutions are all good, whereas arbitrary caps on buying and selling (note: cancelling is different from buying and selling for the purpose of this argument) are, in my opinion, hamfisted and attempting to deal with a symptom, rather than the cause.

A proper solution would allow someone to buy 10,000 herbs if they WANTED to, but make it difficult/impossible to completely break the market by doing so.

Edit: I’m still not certain how creating FIFO layers would play out in practice; I feel like there could be a significant set of externalities attached to that.

1 Like

Another thought: how about random-delayed posting (with FIFO)? You post and your auction will be “uploaded” at a random time between 5-30 minutes.

This would make camping a pain - you can’t cancel until your auction has been uploaded. It also creates windows where others still have a chance to sell. Sellers also have to either match price and wait in line, or be very sensitive to price. After all, if you undercut by a copper, your auction might only land after someone else’s even cheaper auction.

This would drive down prices, help buyers, and create incentives not to cancel and repost.

Here’s a specific question for Blizzard on how TSM (I’m the author) could potentially reduce AH load in the hopes of kicking off a more fruitful discussion. Is it better to use ReplicateItems() than send a bunch (few hundred) of individual queries? Would that cause less load on the server?

9 Likes

That’s because they basically copied Auctionator for the Auction House update making the add on useless…

1 Like

Actually it didn’t send goblins into a panic. It created a whole bunch of aspiring goblins is what happened.

1 Like

Easy solution to the problem would be to have an AH-only account. Your AH-only account would be listing 100’s of items while you play your other account.

It has seemed slower, really slow for a short period of time. I use an add on 1-3 times daily to scan 50 items or so.