Attack on teldrassil

Oh cut it out already. Both factions have attacked each other during global threats and the narrative has both upheld and condemned the acts depending on which writer. Its not a partisan point the narrative is driving about either side.

Sylvanas was happy to attack Gilneas and Southshore during the Cataclysm, Garrosh was chomping at the bit to attack Alliance forces in Northrend and called Thrall out for being a sissy coward who “obeyed armistice” and “wanted to send scouts to Northrend first”.

We all do it. Stop trying to use this point as one in favor of either faction. In terms of “Attacking one another while a greater threat looms.” both factions are guilty idiots.

9 Likes

If only Genn had such foresight, this would not be a discussion.

But he felt his revenge mattered more than the Legion, the Alliance, existence for all life.

Thankfully Sylvanas was patient enough to wait until the Legion was defeated. She respected life and existence on Azeroth more than Genn. What a gal!

8 Likes

Why are we suddenly seeing all these threads about stuff we were discussing months ago? Yeah, we all know about Stormheim and Teldrassil, does it need another thread every other day?

5 Likes

This was towards the end of the war, when the Japanese were already being pushed back on all fronts and were alone in the war. VERY different context.

In fact, the Germans attempted to break the UK by bombing their civilians. Except focusing on civilian targets instead of military ones gave the British time to recover and push back. It is in this fashion that Sylvanas’ tactic was not effective. Instead of breaking, it galvanized.

Genn and Rogers didn’t care. The rest of the Alliance had their eyes on the ball.

8 Likes

I think it to be true , alliance proved to be highly unethical . sylvannas is not garosh . she is better ,and was given motive to attack! so all these people coming down on her decision to attack should be educated on why !

Hmm, the execution of Stormheim was not enough to rises tensions in the game to start a war between The Horde and the Alliance.

If anything there should have been a Battleground and a Wintergrasp equivalent that should have shown that, but instead we had taking towers.

In Wrath of the Lich King showed the tensions rising during the Argent Tournament and conflict shown in final battled in Icecrown Citadel.

Because we concentrated on saving the world so much that it seems pointless to have a war afterwards, no matter how much you showed in the books it is more impotent to show in game for it to work.

5 Likes

Whenever someone says “you must be educated!” on Story Forums, that’s a sure fire sign they’re in no position to educate anyone.

5 Likes

Attacking the Banshee Queen to get revenge for the war crimes she committed against Gilneas, and her murdering your son = unethical.

Burning an unprotected World Tree, slaughtering countless innocents in the process, in order to “kill hope” = ethical?

Interesting reasoning there, friend.

16 Likes

My guess is these things are the most interesting and debatable things.

Much of current BfA stuff is pretty cut and dry. You either agree “war is fel” or you think “war is honor”. There is little debate.

Teldrassil and Stormheim engender some discussion. I blame Blizzard for not making much interesting new things to discuss.

We can discuss the Risen Night Elves? But even that is a tired discussion.

3 Likes

Ummmm…

3 Likes

did you watch the video ? the alliance attack ! no just 1 guy all of them present , and Anduin sent them there for this .

if this was true. and remember at the time , NO ONE knew when the war was going to end! was anyones guess, really could have gone on much longer

If the OPs were posing more than “Teldrassil was justified, Night Elves deserved to burn!” I’d be inclined to believe you. But the posts generally offer nothing past that.

9 Likes

Anduin sent Genn and Rodgers to search for the Aegis, and to keep an eye on Sylvanas, in case she does anything funky. Genn and Rodgers attacked Sylvanas of their own accord, due to their own personal grudges against Sylvanas (Gilneas and Southshore.) And, just for the record, Sylvanas was doing something evil in Stormheim, and Genn stopped her.

6 Likes

That is debatable - not fit for any record.

There is an argument to be made that Odyn would have given the Aegis to the Player Champion even if Sylvanas enslaved Eyir and used her for her bidding. Since Odyn bound himself to his Challenges.

There is no certainty whether he would even object to Eyir being taken. He might just get another one to ascend in her place, and congratulate Sylvanas on her success.

There is also no certainty as to Odyn’s ultimate goals. I don’t trust him. I believe Helya is more a hero than Odyn. So any action against him is fine in my book.

Declaring her actions as evil is a stretch. Her actions would be seen as good by many.

There simply is no certainty either way.

5 Likes

By that point, it was winding down. Sure, Japan would’ve inflicted many casualties as the US got closer and closer, but they were no match for the navy, they were consistently losing ground, and a lot of their gains in that war were made in the absence of said navy thanks to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. But once the other Axis powers were gone, Japan was toast. The bombings only made the surrender happen much earlier.

Again, the Germans unleashed a bombing campaign on the British populace with the intent to break them. Very much the same plan as the bombing of Japan… except the UK still had many colonies to fight from, not to mention unofficial support from the US. And it failed in this context.

Teldrassil is more analogous to the UK in that it still had the WHOLE Alliance behind them. Very much unbroken by the attacks against a single race. Attacks which roused them to vengeance and by 8.1 resulted in them taking back lost territory and pushing the Horde back on another territory.

1 Like

I am going to take the incredibly brave and controversial moral stance that forcibly enslaving another being is evil. You may not agree, but that is a moral principle that I am pretty attached to. And I will be including this in the record, thank you very much.

13 Likes

From my point of view not taking slaves is evil!

14 Likes

Its over Sylvanas! I have the moral high ground!

14 Likes

You underestimate my gray morality!

15 Likes

Don’t try it!

10 Likes