At least we don’t have templates!

Boosting for gear ruining the entire ladder.

iLvl disparity worse than BfA, which I didn’t even think was possible.

Even more Snoreghast and PvE legendary grinding to be competitive.

PvPing with alts requires as much time dedication as a full time job.

But hey… at least we don’t have templates.

35 Likes

you mean the one and only time pvp was balanced and every spec of every class was capable of 2800 in every bracket? good thing we trashed that system without hesitation. /s

35 Likes

Off topic, but Aviela and Inemia look like a before and after boosting photo shoot.

31 Likes

I find it so ironic we butted heads over the state of DK mobility/Survivability…

Because I have never seen something so true worded so beautifully…

+1

1 Like

I have no idea why we got rid of templates, the only reason I keep getting is I got my worst stat, which makes no sense because if your balanced with your worst stat how do they balance a game where you can get your best stat?

3 Likes

They could have easily changed templates so that we could adjust our stat weights via some UI or just done the GW2 method and gave us a PvP amulet slot that basically determined what secondary stats we had with a single item. That would have fixed the major flaw in the Legion system of eliminating stat customization.

It’s really odd that we went from MoP and WoD having the easiest no-rating PvP gearing systems in the games history, to templates in Legion to suddenly taking us several YEARS backwards in the wrong direction in BfA. Now we’re back in some weird elitist rating required garbage PvP system which seemingly was created because of the new philosophy of “let gear be gear” that has completely destroyed WoW PvP in BfA and Shadowlands.

12 Likes

But it’s really important to be able to theorycraft diverse builds like:

Vers -> haste -> mastery -> crit

or

Vers -> mastery -> haste -> crit

and

… oh, that’s pretty much it.

6 Likes

Pfft, amateur!

You forgot

Avoidance
Speed
leech

Oh wait, nobody cares about these things!

2 Likes

Problem is that if you start PvP now most opponents have 100% more hp and honor gear is completely crap and has 7 ranks of nothing but time waste. I would never log out if I could start with 200 ilevel and just enjoy PvP. Also Conquest from winning random and epic BGs has to be continuous. Also add Conquest to Skirmishes. STOP DRAGGING PVP IN WATERS MR. HAZZIKOSTAS… Im so effing tired.

5 Likes

Yes you can’t take away player choice with stats in a MMOPRG. It doesn’t work.

Templates could have worked with stat loadouts to choose from.

That is a symptom of another problem. Step 1 was return of vendors. Step 2 is making vendors offer a diversity of stat options. Also, they can do a blanket global damage reduction aura which would invalidate or minimize versa stacking quickly. Throw in the diminishing returns soft cap will be easier to hit with S2 gear and you will see a diversity of builds with stats cropping up.

BlizZard is almost there with restoring vendor gearing options but they fear PVE players seeking out PVP gearing far more than doing their raids. If they actually improved PVE gearing a little more they wouldn’t be having this dilemma of offering more choices toward PVP gear vendors.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

2 Likes

I didn’t play Legion but didn’t Legion have a very low PvP participation rate ?

3 Likes

It did have and they forced the spec fantasy narrative and gameplay turned into some weird fusion of MOBA with much more buttons to press. It still has that same feel.

1 Like

Shrieks in Demon Hunter.

2 Likes

Not entirely sure, but it’d make sense since there was virtually no power reward carrots being dangled.

What I can tell you is that I played the heck out of that expansion. Outlier specs definitely existed then and they always will, but that was the most balanced classes have ever been in my opinion and I’ve been around for every iteration of the game except for WoD.

The game’s just more fun when enormous power gaps aren’t rampant.

1 Like

Random BG’s were probably fine (there’s no measure). Rated participation was a ghost town because 15s were insanely easy compared to rating locked gear. They were also a better form of ap. Just was zero incentive to play rated. I had a large PvP guild in wod. Legion it slowly turned into a PvE one and then slowly died because none of us were pvers at heart. It’s literally me and one person left right now, and it’s mostly because we have survived doing a little PvE lol.

It definitely was very balanced. Probably earlier than most expacs get there anyway. End of mop felt very balanced also. More fun too because class design was better lol. Still our group was also into wpvp and legion was quite possibly the worst wpvp to exist.

You are right Templates are the greatest evil and anything is better than Templates which ruins the core aspect of an RPG.

sometimes they do, at the end of bfa we had a bit of a competition going on between horde and alliance druids in IoC, they would build the best speed sets to reach the Hangar flag first, capping and for the most part sealing the win.

this, the vendor was a good step forward, but then blizz took two massive steps backwards with the ilvl for rating. not even the ilvl upgrade for honor, as that could very much keep pvpers occupied for the first half of a season, just the ilvl for rating part.

this effectively ends the casual’s season once they get their last conquest piece as there is no way to upgrade conquest from unrated pvp. additionally casual pvpers dont exist in a vacuum which means that while their gear progression has stopped, everyone else’s hasn’t. this results in the season getting more difficult over time. when you combine this with things like the extremely unbalanced classes like pally at the start and then also make it so that gear matters you are basically condemning long time pvp casuals to just be fodder for pay to win players buying carries. this is not okay, pvpers are dropping like flies and absolute legends are quitting the game, and for the first time wow has lost its #1 mmo position, to a game which is actually doing a lot for its pvpers.

9 Likes

this

/10 char

Honestly at this point I wouldn’t even mind templates. And I fought against them furiously during Legion. WoD gear would be ideal though.

3 Likes