Ashenvale quest bug: King of the Foulweed

Ashenvale quest: ‘King of the Foulweed’ is bugged. It starts as normal with flag being placed, and the Enraged Foulweed charge, but then they never stop. They just keep coming and Chief Murgut mob never spawns. Even after the flag disappears, they keep coming endlessly. I killed 50+ of them in one attempt, still no chief.

2 Likes

I’d report this either in the bug forum or using the in game bug reporter. (I ran into this in the beta and reported it, but some new reports from the live game might help.)

1 Like

Dude this has literally been happening to me all morning, thank Azeroth someone else has this problem, just joking though, lol. I dont wish problems upon anyone. I put a bug report in earlier while playing wow and made a ticket too, hopefully they can just complete it/ auto turn it in for us because many quest’s are bugged, so we need to crack down. I feel like the pre-patch broke a lot of code and quests within the game that they’ll have to re-balance and fix, but lets hope they get to it fast :slight_smile:

I can confirm this bug still exists. Sadly I doubt Blizzard will get to it any time soon. They’re too busy with the new content to fix the broken bits of older content. I’ve heard some people say there are workarounds, like by basically having the first Enraged Foulweald attack the flag than interrupting and tanking him for a while. But I haven’t gotten it to work yet.

1 Like

I had a bunch of characters I recently took through Ashenvale, and here’s my experience with the quest:

It seems like there are two different things that can cause the quest to bug out. (The quest has bugged out when the flag appears to despawn.) The first is if the mobs decide to attack you instead of the flag when they first spawn. The second seems to have something to do with needing to be on something’s combat table. For the second one, that means that getting too far away from the flag or using things like stealth/shadowmeld can cause the quest to bug.

The most reliable way to complete it is to make sure that you are a bit off of the mound after dropping the flag, and make sure the flag is between you and the first mob. Let the the destroying the flag cast get a bit of progress and then do some non-lethal damage to the mob. Tank it until the boss spawns. If you do kill the first mob, it’s not a lost cause, but you do need to repeat the steps for any subsequent mobs. (And so it’s safest to just keep the first one alive to avoid getting screwed by bad RNG on the direction the mob spawns from.)

Some bad luck with the direction they spawn from can cause this to fail. If the flag goes invisible, let the mobs destroy it to reset the event and try again when the banner cooldown is up. It can also take a bit of practice to run far enough to make sure it attacks the flag first without running too far and bugging out the event that way.

3 Likes

One year later, same quest, same bug. Never fixed. Amazing.

2 Likes

I had that happen too. What I did was I put the flag down again, it took a bit but the chief mob finally showed up after that.

Same here. I remember it taking an unusually long time, but it’s still happening when I tried just now, took out at least 30 mobs waiting for the chief to show up, he still hasn’t. Very annoyed. I tried one of the fixes above, but they always show up way too quickly for me to even get away enough for them to attack it first, they always just beeline for me out of the blue, immediately, before I even realise it. I tried abandoning and starting again, but same thing; before I even have a chance to think of moving away from the mound, they’ve already made a beeline for me. And one is just standing there punching nothing so i don’t even have a chance to put down the flag in peace before being attacked.

I contacted a GM and he just completed it for me. :wink: <3

Nice! How do i contact a GM?

I opened a ticket in game.