As long as ray tracing is Windows-only

Can we get our movie capture back? There’s nothing on the market that does as good a job as post-compressed video.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind seeing recording making a comeback, but as I understand it Blizz no longer has a dedicated Mac team, so that seems unlikely. I’m guessing you have already, but have you tried the built-in recorder? Cmd-Shift-5 on Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur and Quicktime Player > New Screen Recording… on older releases. It yields pretty good results for me and doesn’t incur a speed hit.

As a sidenote, it looks like the Intel version of Big Sur includes drivers for Radeon RX 6xxx cards, and those support raytracing as does Metal, so it might not be too long before the macOS version gets raytracing enabled.

I just gave it a shot. The quality was decent, but the frame rate was lacking. It claims it’s recorded at 15fps or so (which is still bad), but it looks more like 4-5. By contrast, the best video I recorded under the Movie Capture feature was 1440p with 30fps, and it looks fantastic — except that it’s only 5 seconds long, because it recorded to a RAM disk at the time, because that’s the kind of throughput you needed for recording uncompressed video in 2011. Now with flash drives and a Thunderbolt interface, or even just much bigger RAM sizes, it could be a really nice feature.

That’s good news on the 6k cards, though. I can’t see anything official, but I’ll take your word for it; I’m hoping they work in an eGPU, and then it might be finally time to get one.