Armor dyes!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when…?!

4 Likes

As much as I would love this, I find unlikely because the way they made gear textures would require them to re-design every piece of gear out there to accomodate a dyeing system, unless it’s just “from now on”, which is fine too but there’s another thing…

Blizzard profits on not having a dyeing system, because they’ll always have recolors to add as “new items”. Take the new scarf for example. People datamined a vast array of colors and yet they are drip-fed every now and then as “new” Trading Post items, so basically they’ll have an ample amount of things to put there instead of having to make more actual new models.

1 Like

I really can’t see dyes ever being a thing since Blizzard adds recolors as a way to differentiate gear most of the time.

1 Like

This is pretty much moot now with the transmog system in place. Many designs exist in different colors and some items even comes with color options. Especially the Legion class artifact weapons have a plethora of recolours to choose from using the transmogrification interface. So, we COULD have a “dye” system where we pick one of several colors to use by choosing a different coloured appearance to use.

Is not moot, because there’s profit to be made with gating those color sets.

For example, if they didn’t have some unused color schemes in the database, we wouldn’t have half of the stuff that is being released on the Trading Post nowadays, so it gives them “content” to add there with minimal effort.

Not saying I enjoy this, or think it’s the way to go (because I, too, would love all colors readily available), but they’re a company, so I’m always suspicious of ‘profit first’ ideals.

by moot I meant that an earler technical limitation no longer apply. The rest is about how to gain access to these designs.

An idea for going forward, could be a new profession, or an addition to the tailoring or inscription profession to create the dyes. As well, this could easily be something new going forward.

While the different raid tiers give different colours, a suggestion could be to vary the armour slightly, to give different accents and such, much like the Warfront gear having the lion shoulders for example, or the Antorus Mythic Paladin having new accents on the helmet.

I think a way to unify the colours would be a much appreciated feature for the game, this way older gear models can be better tied into the current gear for tmogs. Its a little frustrating trying to build a nice blue and gold set for an Alliance character, but the blues and golds are JUST slightly different shades. You could shrug it off, or having an option to uniform the colour patterns would be really cool.

SWTOR does a very good job IMO of the armour dye system, and uniformity of colours. You can tie all the colours from the chest plate, or dye them individually. And adding a new profession, or tiers to professions would give more content for players to complete.