Are you going to try WoW with a controller in shadowlands with the official support?

To that end, I’d like to make a pair of suggestions.

Could we get an option to leave the cursor on screen when turning the camera? And a separate “interact” keybind (or at least api function)?

The lack of cursor while turning the camera-- be it with a controller or mouse --means we lose mouseover info and macro functionality for the duration. Likewise, since (default) left mouse calls a catchall function for camera, select, and move, we can only do one thing at a time depending on the look state. IE, when toggling mouselook on with a macro, one loses the ability to ground target or interact.

These two things would make it easier to use a controller, and also easier for mouse users coping with nerve damage/RSI/etc… who find it physically painful to hold right mouse (or some other keybind) constantly while playing.

2 Likes

I use a weakaura for this. Custom coded to only show the crosshair when my mouse cursor is hidden.

this would be a huge qol addition, a way to interact with quest items and crap.

I raided mythic with a controller all of legion and bfa. to this day the hardest mechanic i had to deal with was picking up gems on Opulence.

1 Like

Make it work like FFXIV’s controller setup and it’ll be a dream.

2 Likes

I wanna say no. I’ve been using consoleport since late wod when the addon was made, and the time i tried playing ffxiv, it was the absolute worst controller support ive ever seen. Sure, the gamepad UI was nice, start menu was great, but the BXY buttons (or playstation equivalent) by default are set to useless binds. plus their targeting system is pretty lousy. it wastes keybinds

It’s entirely customizable and doesn’t have a bad base.

Omg, this video is relatable to anyone who’s inverted the controls on a joystick for flight simulators. The whole push down to go up.

I’ll try it simply for the reason I find controllers, despite not liking console games, to be more comfortable. Blitz leveling during the boost really killed my back, if I lean into a chair with a controller it isn’t as bad. I like Smite with a controller but there are few less abilities. I may decide after 13 years of keyboard and mouse that I can’t switch, or I could possibly wonder how I managed without it. I didn’t really appreciate FFXIV with a controller, but to be fair I didn’t really try too hard.

I have tried a controller before. Was horrible at it. Might try again, but doubt I will go far with it. I am a spaz with a controller.

1 Like

Probably not, i returned to FFXIV while i was raiding for my guild progression on heroic and aotc. However playing two different mmorpg can mess up with muscle memory, even with similar keybinds. So what i did was learning FFXIV with a controller and keep my wow keyboard muscle memory intact. If i were to learn wow on controller now, it would mess me up on FFXIV.

If we place it as the D-pad is used to control the separate “bars” for abilities that is 4 bars to use.

Combining the rest of the buttons that leaves 40 different buttons for keybinds.

Controller support - now you know why they’ve removed half of our abilities and introduced the GCD change.

To be honest, the idea of playing wow with a controller never crossed my mind but I admit that can be a relaxing experience for some questing, just chilling. I wouldn’t do a dungeon for example (I’m a healer) but having the option is great.
I think extra options for the player is never a bad thing especially in a MMO.

1 Like

Don’t think so. There’s no way I could handle turn speed that slow with a controller.

One of the most amazing feel good things any tech company* has ever made. Glad to see it getting such support from other companies. Of course, a lot of people who don’t actually need it are going to try to use it to just get controllers working, but despite that this is true amazing for the people who would truly benefit from it.

(*that’s not directly related to the accessibility industry)

I would tell you how I really feel, but I’m not looking to banned. So instead I’ll just say that this has nothing to do with it. This is simply to allow people with disabilities to enjoy the game, same as you and I do. I would say I’m sorry this offends you so greatly, but that would be a lie.

Maybe you should give not being complete scum in public spaces a try. It’s a bad look.

4 Likes

XIV has a long GCD, everyone forgets this.
The GCD in WoW was always added to make it easier to play on a planned console release, it’s lame.

1 Like

It’s evident that game is limited by being on consoles. The small zones with the constant loading screens is just one example which turned me off. Not a bad game but you can definitely tell it was designed from the ground up with consoles in mind.

Wish I liked it more as a good friend plays it due to the controller support and his ability to play with an amputation.

Did I reference disabilities in my post, at all? I think it’s a great change if it actually helps people that otherwise can’t play.

You need to chill. Stop seeing the absolute worst in everything and everyone. It’s a bad look.

That’s what they’re doing. They’re adding it to the game to add support for greater accessibility. They mentioned the third party addons as an example.

Saying that of course there will still be hurdles that may still require third party software, but the changes Blizz are implementing reduces that dependence.

2 Likes

agree, mouse and keyboard are far superior. why would you handicap yourself with a controller.

Some people may not be able to play on mouse and keyboard. Controller and accessibilty support allows them to play without mouse and keyboard.

1 Like