Are you going to see the lion king

Are you going to see the lion king?

1 Like

Only if someone I usually share tastes with tells me I must.

I’ve never seen any version of the Lion King. I suppose I’m not invested. But I hope it’s good!

At the very least you should see the animated film if only for the artistry and voice acting work. It’s very good animation, even for this day and age. If you’re not interested in it through that lens either than I would understand not wanting to see it at all, in any version. :slight_smile:

Yes. I really like art/animation styles that blend realism with just a touch of the extra life and expressiveness of cartoon. Another example of illustrations I have liked would be those of the birds in the children’s novel Swordbird.

Usually I’d have some concerns about characters looking wildly different or sounding different breaking my connection to the film, but since most of the whole cast is different and the visuals as so DRASTICALLY changed, I’m hoping this won’t be an issue for me.

I’ve had mixed feelings about the live action remakes so far, which has put my expectations low, but I’m hoping this means I’ll be satisfied.

Are you going to see it?

1 Like

are we talking about the same 2019 CG Lion King

1 Like

I am going to see it! I usually am disappointed in live action remakes of Disney films if only for my high expectations of them and comparisons to the animated. I’ve learned to separate the two and look at it from a new perspective. Not the greatest films but still fun! Looking forward to this one too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been avoiding the remakes of 90s animated films, but I saw Aladdin on a whim (thank you AMC A-List) and was pleasantly surprised. So I’ll see Lion King with an open mind.

I dunno, I mean…did the original one break?

2 Likes

Yeah it was really fun! I liked the opening number “One Jump Ahead”. It was really cool to see that translation from one to the other. I didn’t enjoy jungle book (the remake) so I’m skeptical about this because the CGI is kind of almost too unbelievable but I’m going to hope for the best!

Nope! You can enjoy both, one or the other, or neither. Stories are told in different ways over time, like how broadway shows are revived and Remade or how different productions are produced by different groups with varying artistic differences that make each one unique!

Disney’s recent trend of making live-action/more realistic versions of their most famous films leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as it reads like them just jumping on the bandwagon with no regard to actually capturing the magic of the past. So I’m gonna skip it.

6 Likes

yeah but that part where dumbo drops acid and watches people make bubbles tho

EDIT: i have fact checked myself and didn’t know this was a real thing in the original Dumbo except he got drunk instead of… i don’t know? showed up?

I definitely feel like that too. I think a lot of them failed to be their own thing. Too much trying to be exactly like the original. I’m super excited for Mulan because it’s supposedly going to be a lot different than it’s original version. I feel like playing on nostalgia or trying to recreate the feelings from the past only hurt good storytelling. Maybe a different approach is needed.

1 Like

Nope. I have no interest in these uninspired live-action remakes. The animated versions are still leagues and worlds better, more expressive, and have better music, so I’d be paying for an inferior take on something I’ve already seen a million times.

3 Likes

i may contemplate pirating any attempt at Hercules they might make just so i can be so annoyed by it i pee blood

Wait, are they planning on actually remaking Hercules?

I know someone who is going to be extremely feral about this…

1 Like

Fair enough and I tend to agree!

oh no i joked about it and it might have become real

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/07/hercules-live-action-remake/

We’re going to see live action remakes of all of the Disney films. They can operate at a loss or be huge successes and it doesn’t matter. Their creation extends the copyright of the properties, which is their whole point.

2 Likes

No, I won’t pay to see them. I’m not a big Disney fan, to be honest. And I already know how the stories turn out anyway. To watch a film of which I already know the entire plot and ending, it would have to be an IP that I’m a really big fan of.

This is actually just untrue and a quick look into it can tell you why it’s untrue. Tldr is that copyright laws and public domain don’t work like that