Are we forgetting the actual barrier for entry in Classic WoW?

It was gold. Not skill or class or time.

Bots ran rampant, inflating gold and making it impossible to participate unless you grinded 3rd world wages or purchased gold.

Do people really think most didn’t clear Naxx after 15 months because they were slow or bad? No.

It took multiple hundreds of gold on a good clear. Buying t3 pieces was absolutely bonkers.

Maybe a shorter time line won’t allow as much gold into the economy.

4 Likes

Bots are definitely a major issue that needs to be addressed. The nerf to Mage AoE in dungeons should help that, if they can address some pathing issues it will help shut down other classes as well. Beyond that, it is just a matter of Blizzard doing their job. Our guild ran up to Nax before hitting that gold barrier. I ended up having to raid with other guilds for the Nax experience because we didn’t have 40 ppl who could keep up with the gold sink

2 Likes

Gold ended progression for many guilds.

2 Likes

Yes, gold buyers and 3rd world labor abusers.

Same people that would cry bigotry I’m sure

2 Likes

The problem isn’t even bots. This is a misunderstanding of what the actual problem is. It’s easy to blame bots and gold buyers/sellers, but that’s only a tiny piece of the puzzle.

It’s simply lack of spawning resources in the world. Which they are addressing I believe as one of the changes. When you can’t farm your own resources effectively then buying it becomes the only option.

Classic should have never removed layers on the mega servers. Never.

1 Like

There should have never been layers. There by making the player make a decision.

4 Likes

nah man, the game has many issues but bots and RMT are also a problem. Three quarters of Thunderfury server were raid loggers yet had 100k gold or whatever. Sure, they were all just really good at the AH lol

Black lotus was almost totally controlled by bots or full time gold selling outfits. I remember when TBC came out and all the usual suspects were trying to dump huge stockpiles of black lotus. They essentially had the flask market cornered.

Good luck trying to find any plaguebloom. The plaguelands were overrun with bots running circuits day and night, forever and ever. It was really cool having the herb farm take 5 times as long or having to pay exorbitant prices for mongoose pots.

It caused a lot of inflation, and it also made it much more difficult to play the game legitimately. Not to mention that Scarab Lord essentially became a game of who could buy and spend more gold. The list of BS caused by RMT goes on and on.

3 Likes