Are the trees in Ardenweald holding up Galaxies?

I was wondering if from a story perspective the massive trees in Ardenweald are in fact actually holding up real Galaxies? From a story perspective this seems amazing. Not sure if they are why they are holding up only so many out of potentially hundreds or thousands with life on them. And what does this mean if so? I can’t be the only one who looked up into the canopy and saw an entire galaxy.

1 Like

Let’s hope not, because the Gorm have chewed through several already.

7 Likes

I’d think someone would have mentioned something so crazy and critical to the functioning of reality.

They’re certainly meant to give the impression of a twinkling night sky, but I don’t think they’re supposed to literally be stars.

2 Likes

Ardenweald is a spiritual realm, not the realm of physical matter. Real world physics literally does not apply.

2 Likes

No on art station the artist said they just thought it looked cool and reused some assets from Suramar too.

Ardenweald is in “endless twilight” with a “moonless night” and the only sources of light are stars and anima stuff (animacones, anima lanterns, the swirling anima in the Tirnas, etc).

Okay so it just looks like a Galaxy but isn’t thanks, but would have been mind blowing imo if for some reason they were actually real galaxies connected to Ardenweald.

1 Like

They’re mind blowing enough for me without them. Especially since some have collapsed already.

In the Age of Ancients

1 Like

Furthermore the Anima is Ardenweald’s Twilight(born of Death) made manifest! A much prettier Twilight than the Void’s Twilight which is more dark and depressing in appearance despite both being Blue.

Why does Blizzard associate Twilight with Blue these days? They didn’t at the end of Wrath of the Lich King(where it was Purple) so why did they start at the end of Cataclysm?

Are you talking about the ones like in Glitterfall Basin? I think they’re just channelling gathered anima into the tree given it only seems to light up when you channel an anima stream to it. It’s just how it manifests.

It’s just anima. The trees are giant anima catchers that draw it in from the Shadowlands in general and funnel it to the ground and landscape where the night fae make use of it.

See I look at Ardenweald’s trees like giant children’s mobiles.

The Trees are drawing in the Twilight Death Energy/Anima(not to be mistaken for Twilight Void Energy) from the sky and distributing it amongst the Night Fae.

Makes me wonder what color the Anima of a perpetual Night Sky in the Shadowlands would look like…

I suspected the Groves are holding up not galaxies or universes. But rather weave the many wild spirits awaiting rebirth. Spirits who call Ardenweald their permanent home. As well as the latent harmony of the skies laden with what anima that has yet to be extracted.

The land of Ardenweald is mysterious and is meant to depict natural harmony.

It definitely looks beautiful! But I still think it likes like a big swirly milky way up there to me too. Regardless it is art and as such liberties are taken so while it may look like it that I know now is where the similarities stop. And I also now know they are spirits instead of stars, or anima and/or other stuff, which I honestly didn’t before.

Twilight is associated with the color blue because of the concept of l’heure bleue, or ‘blue hour’. It refers to the period of Dawn or dusk when the sun is significantly below the horizon but it’s light creates a deep blue sky. It’s a soft, natural lighting and I think Blizzard uses it as the twilight of the afterlife because of that.

The prior use of purple to represent ‘twilight’ energy was likely to represent the unnatural void energy used by the Twilight’s Hammer and their associates as they were Old God worshipping cultists. Their ‘Hour of Twilight’ referred specifically to the end of the world, and all natural life being wiped out on Azeroth to be replaced by mere shadows of what came before existing in a perpetual darkness.

So basically it’s the difference between a natural (blue) twilight and an unnatural (purple) twilight.

Blizzard made even Void Twilight be Blue during Dragon Soul(though not in the Hour of Twilight Dungeon preceding it) and kept it that way all the way to BfA!

I remember the void twilight being purple in dragon soul. Especially when we get sucked into the twilight realm in the fight against Ultraxion.

Are you sure you aren’t just confusing the naturally blue tones of Dragon Blight that the raid is set in for a ‘twilight’ effect?

I’m referring to the Warmaster Blackhorn Encounter where Twilight Dragons fire off Blue Twilight Attacks with only one Purple Twilight Attack(the traditional Fire Breathing Attack used by Goriona):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SvBAMTCAh0