Are such short Cataclysm phases going to create loot fomo?

I can absolutely understand the merits of wanting to push for shorter phases. Ulduar, for example, was definitely too long, but after seeing the roadmap for Cata Classic I started to feel very anxious, I’m already feeling a sense of fomo. I know not everybody cares about things like getting BiS, but I do, and I know many others who feel the same…it’s part of the point of raiding in the first place(for some).

When phases have time to breath, running into one of those lucky bastards who actually see their items drop AND win their rolls or get funneled loot by their guild, it’s something you can still look forward to and have a hope of catching up and competing. When phases are incredibly short, running into the same player will instead just leave people with a sense of contempt and fomo, knowing you will never even likely get the opportunity to try to be competitive because we’re not being given to chance to make up bad luck with persistence.

I do believe there are a couple possible solutions to this issue though, or at least ways to ameliorate it. One possibility has already garnered much discussion and unfortunately Bliz seems set on ignoring their player’s feedback and suggestions on. Open up the raid lockouts and let us do both 10 and 25 man on one character! You would be doubling the opportunity to get loot, allowing those who care about chasing bis to put in the extra effort to do so while allowing the more “casual” community to just do their one off and be happy with that. A second possible solution to the issue is to increase, maybe even double, the loot drops from bosses, perhaps a less satisfying solution but it would still help.

I wonder how many others are feeling this anxiety and what other solutions the community might have in mind.

5 Likes

You are free to keep doing the earlier raids after the later ones are released. There is no “MO” with that.

God no. One of the best parts of Cata was not having to do this. At least in WotLK, the 10m gear was lower item level so you didn’t have to do both raids, but with the same ilvl in 10 and 25, it would nearly be a requirement to do both. That would be terrible.

5 Likes

I understand that such an option isn’t one that would be perfect for everybody but how is telling somebody “keep playing the old content while doing current” any better? You’re still proposing that somebody do additional raids every week. It’s also silly to say it would be a requirement to do 10 and 25 in this scenario, if you care about bis and enjoy raiding you would have the option to do both, if doing both is too much you can just choose not to. In addition to this almost everybody I’ve talked to is just planning on doing both anyway but just with 2 (or more!) characters.

1 Like

Basing your experience or entertainment on someone elses, is a very shallow way to play this game.

Disrespecting the way other people enjoy their games is a very shallow way to live one’s life. I’m competitive, I like to parse and keeping up or at least having the prospect of catching up is necessary to be able to compete when parsing.

You are not playing the game if all you are doing is worrying about other people having loot you dont and how it impacts others performance on fights compared to yours. You may as well go play a gladiator sim where you have everything the other person has and its the player with the best skill that wins. If you were living your life such as to derive happiness when comparing your job or achievements to others then you would most likely be in therapy to fix that rationale.

If you were to say I like to play wow because I like to push the limits of my personal performance then it would be one thing, but you are not. You are saying I like to play wow because I like to compare myself to others when they have similar gear, and its not fair that they get lucky and get gear that I dont currently have.

Oh cmon man. After 20years of wow…you know its an MO. Nobody will prog or run older raids when there is new tier. That never happened except whne there is a mount or bis gear like togc which isnt run that much either.

Its like saying …yo there isnt definetly any fomo…you can stil run firelands in retail.

1 Like

Ulduar was too long? I don’t understand Classic’s database.

This game will have no longevity if people push for shorter and shorter phases. Literally SoD is already on Phase 3 and has barely been out for half a year. Why does everyone want to breeze through the content of the game?

Raiding is not the only thing this game offers.

2 Likes

You see it as “it’s already on phase 3”

I see it as “we aren’t even level 60 yet”

Why do you care if the content is “breezed through” when anything not relevant to the endgame will always be there during every phase?

Yes, because the phase after ulduar was ulduar 2 electric boogaloo, and it was a pretty easy raid and kind of boring after a couple months let alone 2 entire phases

SoD is a “seasonal” game, it’s only meant to last a year in total.

That doesn’t happen much currently because most of your BiS gear and whatnot comes from a 25 man, and it’s a nightmare to find 24 other people who want to help that one guy out. When it’s all obtainable from 10 man this becomes much easier and more common.

Brother, youre countering everyone elses opinion with “dont disrespect my opinion or playstyle” while advocating to impact everyone else’s playstyle and opinion. Youre asking to (mostly) negatively impact everyone elses cata experience to ensure you have the best time being a parse monkey chasing BIS. Nobody wants 25 weeks of any tier content so you can try to get that 16th piece or get a 99. Not one single person.

Look forward to healers in blue gear in dragonsoul and dps not understanding why process sucks!

cata is meh. blizz knows it’s meh, so they wanna speed run it before too many subs bail.

One of the best expacs for pvp, with amazing raids and the talent system fluff being reduced. Not sure what was bad about cata that wasn’t the same as mop.

1 Like

You’re getting anxious over a non competitive aspect of a video game… sounds like a personal problem

You make fair points but the way I see it is that, once people get to that end game point they then begin pressuring Blizzard to push the next expac. It is a continuing cycle and they follow through with a half-hearted release filled with issues.

It doesn’t matter what anyone does, people will never be satisfied. Things are more enjoyable when you concern yourself with your own fun rather than what other people are yelling about

1 Like

the subs won’t bail, they only did that during org cata due to Wrath just being the end of wow for most of those people who left. They defeated Illidan and Arthis, so to them wow was over.