Are Stone Dragons, Wind Dragons and Storm Dragons "Primalists"?

This thread has that small spoiler yes but I’m sure everyone knows the primary antagonists of Dragonflight are The Primalists. A bunch of primordial dragons based around the elements.

In Cataclysm: On Stone Dragons - “Brann Bronzebeard recently uncovered evidence, corroborated by reports from adventurers in Deepholm, that proto-dragons and dragons may have origins in these — and other — elemental drakes”

Now while “Primalist” is a name given to the main antagonists in the Dragonflight expansion, it looks like these elemental-based dragons will finally have proper lore to backup their existence and origin with the Primalists turning to the sources of raw power that they likely originate from: The elements. So I’m hoping there will be good story balancing in DF, and I also hope we get to revisit Deepholm somewhere.

No, they are not. Primalists is a group, not a race.

The Primalists are the followers of the Primal Incarnates, ancient proto-dragons that chose not to side with the titans and against the Dragon Aspects. As followers of Galakrond, they believe that everyone should be subservient to dragonkind because of their power.[1

2 Likes

I said this.

You didn’t even read it did you?..

That’s a good question.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all of the variations we’ve seen over the years that aren’t flight affiliated just get lumped under the “lesser dragonkin” umbrella.

I thought this was the dragons made of stone, like the ones in Deepholm, until this xpac.

So were the Primalist created for DF or were they always in our lore?

Yeah well I was always told the Stone Drakes in Deepholm were just elemental dragons, and the elements themselves even seem to be the primordial source of each Dragonflights powers, like Arcane, Ice and Water with Blue. And Fire, Rock and Metal with Black.

The Primalists as far as I am aware [Again, spoilers]:

have their philosophy of defying the Titans and return to the primordial elements they came from.

I did read it. But since that makes zero sense for an entire subrace of dragons to suddenly be put into the category of one named faction of malcontents, I thought it better to just link the specific lore so that others could understand that the Primalists have nothing to do with subraces of other dragons.

Created for DF. They have no past lore within the game.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I thought, because I remember the story of Deathwing but don’t remember anything about them.

1 Like

Draongblight gave us very little information on Galakrond, but I guess it makes sense to expand his lore with dragons who followed him.

It reminds me of How to Train Your Dragon.

1 Like

You’re taking things too literally again. I should have added quotations.

I’m talking about this relation to elemental origin that the Primalists blatantly practice in philosophy. Brann Bronzebeard as was quoted in the OP uncovered evidence that proto-dragons and dragons likely have origins with these elemental drakes.

The story of the Primalists is their defiance against the Titans, preferring to go back to the primordial ways and the rawest source of power on Azeroth: Turning to the elements.

I stated separately Primalist is the name of a faction [NOT LITERALLY BUT BY ACKNOWLEDGING THAT THEY ARE >>>> the antagonists of Dragonflight], so I didn’t clump these elemental dragons in with their named faction but meant in paraphrasing a corelation to the origins of dragons/proto-dragons themselves that the Primalists seem to be turning to.

What explanation is there for the elements inborn with the dragons [Red Dragonflight = Fire| Blue Dragonflight = Frost | Black Dragonflight = Earth]?

The issue we seem to have in communication is that this isn’t a subtle in person conversation with air quotes, hints and winks. It’s a forum. Things are taken as they are written with explanation. That’s why we quote things and explain while having conversations. It’s not a poem nor a novel where subtlety can exist. So while you tend to post in some subtle manner that I don’t understand, my posts are straightforward, because this is more a medium for direct information and not subtle little chats.

Yes, because they’re all dragons and related in some way. What we don’t know is how or when they all broke off and became what they are separately. I’m not sure we’ll get much information on the smaller groups that we’ve seen in like Stormheim and other places, but it’s possible.

For the ancient protos, the entirety of Azeroth was ruled by the Old Gods and the Elements. So it’s bound that the creatures who evolved there would innately have that power.

For the Aspects, each of the Titans gave them their assignments for what they were to safeguard on Azeroth.

I may not be explaining well, so if I’m not, please keep poking at me and I’ll do my best.

Keep in mind, I’m not arguing with you, only trying to offer what lore and insight I can give.

2 Likes

Realistically Humans are not creatures of precise and exact measurements with emotions and how they project and express them, especially in written text. I keep this in mind a lot when communicating with people online.

I have already long begun accepting Shadowlands lore [Though I may joke about it still on the forums] as I replay older content and reweave it into my impression of the game, and I have been looking for more things that could possibly make sense with the main plots and stories of expansions.

These elemental dragons share similarities to the Primal Incarnates who show appearances of lightening streaking across their forms, stone and rock embedded or making up their scales. My distinct perspective is finding how they tie into the coming expansion.

They may not be part of the faction itself on the Dragon Isles, but they could be remnants even of an ancient war they were involved with, retreating to other parts of Azeroth when the Primalists lost, or hell they could be related to an elemental origin that the Primalists hold in philosophy. When something shares a lot of similarities, there best be a source it all originates from.

Basically, it just boils down to, Azeroth was once ruled by the Elementals. The chaos was too much for the World Soul to survive the Old Gods and them. The Titans tried to rip out the Old Gods, which they found wasn’t an option, so they imprisoned them. The elementals are bound to the planet, though, so they were simply put into their Elemental Planes to exist in a better balance with Azeroth. It’s why we have Shaman and things that use the elemental powers. The dragons were part of that innate power and that’s why they can wield it.

The philosophies may not be that prevalent, but the origins are.

Before Dragonflight, have we ever encountered an intelligent protodrake/protodragon before? (and is it proper to lump those two terms together? Or are they only similar in appearance?)

I’m pretty sure all the dragon aspects (Alex, Ysera, Deathwing, Malg, etc) were protodrakes and they were intelligent before they were given “the powah.”

But no I don’t think we have ever met any in game.

Even though we were promised to learn more about dragons, we have no clue how Stone Drakes, Storm Drakes, or Sky Drakes relate to Dragons.

In fact, for an expansion about Dragons, we learned almost nothing new about the actual existing Dragons. A lot of focus was put on Danuser’s fan fiction without that much exploration of the stuff we actually care about.

They may add something about the strange, lesser dragonkin we’ve seen before (stone drakes etc). Perhaps they are related to these Primalists that rejected the Titans in some way.

Rest assured that anything they add to these creatures with less than a spit in a buckets worth of lore will have people complain that Blizzard is pulling big spooky retcons and ruining fantasy forever.

all dragons originate as elementals those in the elemental planes are natural dragons, the proto dragons out of the elemental planes are those who got stuck outside that plane and changed in form and were more animalistic for awhile. ( btw if you read the dawn of the aspects the main character saw what he did through a damaged titan artifact so some stuff can be considered not true)

The Stone Dragons hang out with the High Elves.

Both Mandalore and Andor have built upon the lore of Star Wars.

The problem is Danuser is not interested in recognizing Metzen as his superior, the way that those working on Star Wars projects recognize the genius of George Lucas and realize this is his world and they’re in it. Danuser thinks this is his playground.

We can only hope one day he learns to respect the IP.