Are paladins designed to be easy to play?

Are paladins designed to be an easy to play class? I feel like the effort it takes to kill a pally, vs the effort to win a fight as a pally is pretty substantial

4 Likes

No they’re just badly designed.
Mostly ret, its only good when its overtuned, otherwise its trash there’s no in between with how ret is designed since bfa.

23 Likes

i think its designed to be easier, yeah

theres a reason the healer most dps players alt is hpal and not rdruid

but that could also just be a symptom of hpal being the strongest healer for so long

2 Likes

Imagine being me, picking a Paladin as my first character in 2006 because I liked the idea of being able to fight but also heal myself but not knowing it would be bad for my street cred in the forums in 2021.

56 Likes

Yes, they are. Here’s their original design notes for paladin (timestamped at 3m 44s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQWkWj5_ss&t=3m44s

27 Likes

There’s still time

I’m old, I take all the help I can get.

4 Likes

imagine being me, picking paladin as my first character in October 2020 because i liked how the armor looked on the character creation screen.

not knowing grown men would have a breakdown over it in the arena forums 2021

29 Likes

Tbf, this is something that could be said for every single OP spec lol…

1 Like

The finesse for rets used to come from CD management and all the little CDs they had; imagine the plate counterpart to old control sub. I do not see that design so much focused anymore

1 Like

Lot of triggered ret paladins in here. Paladin was designed to be easy af.

11 Likes

When you see half your friends list playing paladins… blizzard…

2 Likes

I mean yeah back in vanilla when u just auto attacked with seal…

currently? no they are not too different than any other DPS.

2 Likes

The class has a low bar for entry, but a decent skill ceiling. Our rotation is very simple and our cooldowns are pretty straight forward. Most of the skill expression with paladins is awareness, knowing when to use your ability to supplement the healer and tank.

The issue is that when all of your strength is rolled into 5 abilities, they are either terrible or overturned.

Currently we have 1 reliable defensive, 1 reliable mobility which isn’t so reliable, 1 reliable offensive CD, 1 reliable “oh no” button, and 2 reliable burst abilities, 1 if you didn’t pick Kyrian. We have a few utility spells but using them on another player means you can’t use them on yourself for a while.

We need a more diverse toolkit because right now we’re very lacking.

1 Like

How are you both a tauren, and a blood elf at the same time?

Interesting.

1 Like

This made me chuckle a little bit. Out of the thousands and thousands of pallies i’ve seen in bg’s, arena, keys, raids, heck even questing, I haven’t seen a pally yet that wasn’t Kyrian.

Wait, is Ashen Hollow or whatever Venthyr? Ok then I’ve seen exactly 2 pallies that werent’ kyrian.

Yep. I prefer Venthyr. I want to stat Venthyr. Right now I’m back to Venthyr from Kyrian by accident, but Kyrian is SO GD STRONG you are actually punished for not having it.

I’m not a happy individual.

They seemed incomplete at vanilla tbh…
If any class was considered to be easy back then, it was hunter imo

Bro I main a shaman and I wished I had divine toll.

The gaps between these covenants for certain specs/classes is ridiculous.

You play a Frost DK lol

The only spec to require less brain cells than DH

6 Likes