Are model swap mods allowed?

Someday I hope we can get a Classic WoW with modern models but old animations where we can toggle between the two, like what happened briefly when new models came out.

The toggle would display all models as new or old for the player.

1 Like

No it’s not. It being banned has nothing to do with that.

Blizzard bans it because the player is forcibly charging the way the character model is perceived by the user. Nothing more.

It does not change your hitbox.

Every single other player still sees you as your original model.

3 Likes

I don’t see why it would be bannable.
Way back in vanilla one of the most popular add-ons, was a nudity add-on for player models and sucubi
It changed the models and wasn’t a bannable addon.
Changing a bear to a high resolution bear doesn’t sound any different then changing a bra to a high resolution breast

3 Likes

just read what you just wrote there…

It’s exploitable so it’s a big no no.
Iirc that helped to kill the last boss of naxx by circumventing some boss.

Anything that directly modifies game files is a big no no, even if it’s a reskin mod

Gotta leave those files alone

So when you take ibuprofen and it says to only take 2 but you take 3 instead, it really doesn’t matter. Seeing as the prescription of the same medicine is several times that amount. It’s more of a guideline to protect their own hide.

Blizzard really DOES NOT care about you editing model files for certain things. There however is a list of files they DO care about. If those files are edited it could result in a ban. However what I don’t think people understand is that no third party program is running when you swap model files.

1 Like

OP you will get nearly perma banned for using any model changers. Source I was banned for it at one point. While you may use it improve the game, others use it for evil. Blizzard typically does a ban wave for these types of things, you could get away with for a long time I bet but they eventaully will get you.

It’s not, it’s only client side. What you are suggesting is actaully hacking the game. That’s not what model changes do and it doesn’t change hit boxes. It’s only ban able because people use it for evil like turning mining nodes into flag poles so they can find them easy for example.

1 Like

Hehe… I remember that mod.

I mean…

…oh really?

This actually happened. I want to say it was this year, but sometimes time flies. Basically there was a large ban wave (6 month suspensions, pretty heavy). In the follow-up to that, as many affected people appealed, what they found was that the addon that tweaked something to avoid Blizzard’s launcher catching model swaps was being used more benignly by some people for switching character models only, and more maliciously by others for other reasons. They lifted the suspensions, but with a warning to remind people that wasn’t allowed.

I’ll edit if I can find the blue post about it.

EDIT:

2 Likes

Actually people got banned for using that addon.

I got a temp banned for that, but I was totally innocent :wink:.

1 Like

n Down syndrome , there are three copies, either complete or partial, of chromosome 21. The characteristics of Down syndrome include low muscle tone, short stature, a flat nasal bridge, and a protruding tongue. People with Down syndrome have a higher risk of some conditions, including Alzheimer’s disease and epilepsy.

It’s not allowed, period. Back in Vanilla you could mess with the files and change models (I changed my Warlock Imp pet into a Murloc, best decision ever) but Blizzard redid the file structure to stop it. Something to do with how the game calculates using hitboxes etc.

I can’t say for sure you will get permabanned, but if you do, much LOLing will be had at your expense.

You made fun of someone who posted 4 months ago. SMH

Honestly i think just let the mods go wild. See what type of game is created thereof. Let the people control the environment.

Be careful what you ask for.

The main reason why this is a bannable offense, is the same program that can be used to model your character, can be used to change the model of other objects in the game. Such as mining/herbalism nodes or other examples that provide an unfair advantage. Blizzard can’t really distinguish between people using it for unfair advantages or not. Use it at your own risk, and do not be surprised if you are banned for it.

Edit: I did not realize this was a necro, sry.

I know this was a long time ago and im sorry but youre a total dunce. Im a full stack developer, although all it requires is a little common sense to realize that changing your personal client files has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. Like do you have any idea how often people would be hacking if just changing client side files effected server side requests? Like just think about it for 5 seconds lol. People do that sort of thing on those private servers all the time to update their personal models to the WoD models as well. And its against tos to modify your client but i promise you people still do it here too. Its just ridiculous if you believe that editing/replacing a file in your client, on your hard drive, with no server requests whatsoever, somehow would effect what everyone else is seeing too.

Edit: just to be crystal clear i absolutely DO NOT mod my client and DO NOT recommend doing so as its against tos. Also i do not play on private servers as they are illegal so i obviously wont/havent mentioned any by name.