Are microtransactions good or bad for games?

Are you for or against microtransactions in games?

In WoW, I barely notice them tbh, and sort of see them as ‘okay, cool might get that for Christmas or if I want that for my birthday, I will get that for myself’ etc. But in contrast, with other games like Heroes of the Storm/Hearthstone etc I don’t like micro transactions quite as much.

What do you think? Are they good or bad for games, or is there a certain balance companies should try to achieve?

Bad.
While some games can factor the concept of micro transactions into the game in an appropriate manner, such as Hearthstone card packs imitating old school trading card packs, others will rip apart the design of the game to charge the end user more money for things that should have been included in the first place.

They also take away from the immersion of the game bringing people back to reality mid game.

Wow’s implementation isn’t so bad that it bothers me, but it also reduces the value of unique mounts and pets since the obtained through money, not in game achievement.

I don’t think they are game breaking for wow or overwatch (the 2 I play) but those games like warface where you can pay to win is just dumb.

1 Like

Here’s how I see it,if they’re cosmetics like costumes,mounts and pets I don’t mind it. If it’s a game service such as a server transfer,I fund it fine. However,if it were items that gave the edge to those with huge wallets or a piece of content that could have been apart of the finished product THAT would be where I draw the line. So to reiterate, I’ll be willing to buy a cool costume for a character in an MMO or for a skin for a MOBA hero I like but would immediately quit if there were items that gave an edge to players being sold,this was what made Archage hated. Which sucks as it had potential aside from that issue and the fact that PVP was mandatory after level 40 when you finished your character’s personal story. So to answer the question,both as it’s good if it’s just fun items,bad if you were able to buy the best in slot items or content that could have been added sooner.

1 Like

I think Archeage had a lot of potential actually. It’s a shame it became pay-to-win.

If it is pay to win, for god level stuff, then no. If it is cosmetic, like outfits, color of laser… fine, same with mounts and other perks, visual. Everquest is even ok, they sell an armor set in the store for a buck or two, and the stats were no different than drop gear. Gave you the option of farming it or buying it.

1 Like

Good short turn but people that aren’t rolling in money are starting to avoid those types of games just to not get caught up in the addiction in the first place.

Is this a serious question? Might as well ask if murder is bad.

Spoilers: It’s bad.