Are Cross Realm Battlegrounds a Mechanic, or Content?

Yet as a part of Vanilla in 1.12,something that’s coming.

Are you saying that they will totally fail at server management again?

1 Like

Depending on how many servers there are they better at least have battlegroups if they hve CRBGS. If there is a really small amount of server I don’t see how this is going to be an issue at all.

I’m super curious to how you think there is a way around this issue without crbgs.

CRBG’s are more convenient and faster rewarding than single server BG’s.

Is it any wonder that some retail players insist upon the more convenient, faster rewarding option?

Some retail players even insist that the convenience of sharding be extended beyond even what they define as “starting areas”.

4 Likes

Bite the bullet and actually merged / manage servers instead of tap dance around the problem.

3 Likes

BGs are content, CRBGs are a mechanic of that content. Just my take, anyway.

However, because it’s a hybrid, I think they will make a special rule:

Pre-level 60 brackets will be cross-realm, and level 60 brackets will be realm-only. This helps deal with the reality of having several active brackets without taking away from the primary realm feeling at level cap.

It’s just my guess, and it’s far from perfect…perhaps too convoluted for Blizzard to actually do.

Being realistic, I think they WANT to keep cross-realm out of BGs for as long as possible, but are yet to make a concrete decision. As I’d like to repeat, I think CRBGS is a unique part of the game that doesn’t fit squarely into anything they’ve talked about…but I could be wrong.

There are implications everywhere, however.

Lol what is with people thinking merges are a good thing. Christ people learn your history

Letting a server languish is worse than merging to keep balance because it harms the PVE and the community and the PVP.

Merging a server is not 100% a pleasant experience but it’s better than the alternative.

3 Likes

Or… OR They could do what they are planning right now and open as few of servers as possible with sharding at launch.

In the spirit of Classic - giving us a very complete snapshot of how things were, but not attempting to compensate for player power artifacts that result from static itemization or game mechanic knowledge - I think Blizzard will leave CRBGs out entirely and just not concern themselves with queue times.

The battlegrounds will be available for our fun, but they won’t worry about assuring they can be constantly played.

4 Likes

Indeed, and then when the dust settles if the factions are imbalanced they can offer free transfers from over populated factions of certain servers to under populated same faction of a different serer in a very controlled and measured way.

This will bring balance and help keep the community in top quality while minimizing the imbalance of the servers.

They did stuff like this in Vanilla, it was just not utilized enough, so it’s technically “Authentic”

1 Like

I’d say it’s a mechanic, but it affects availability of content as well as the experience of that content (at least in terms of who else you get to see there).

I think they haven’t specifically mentioned battlegroups/CRBG’s yet because they don’t know the answer. My guess is still that they’ll just end up saying something to the effect of “we’ll see how it goes.”

This is slightly besides the point, but I don’t think they’d ever do a server merger again. They’d do connected realms. Connected realms are functionally identical to a merger, but everyone gets to keep their character name.

1 Like

skip to 8:40

Free transfers I will agree with. There is nothing wrong with them. Server merges are an awful terrible idea that should NEVER be used. Let a server die before you do that. Let people leave as they choose and don’t force it on them.

An axel video? Yeah no thanks

I hope you are correct.

1 Like

yeah he’s a dbag but he makes a relevant point for merging servers

1 Like

When I say “Server Merges” I am using that term a little bit loosely…

Example if you have 2 severs and one is Horde bias at 70% horde 30% alliance and 3500 total players…

And you have another server but it’s the inverse of this with the same population then server transfers in a controlled voluntary way would be the idea solution to even things out.

However if you have a server who’s population is say… 550 total players…

Give those players a new home, and close their old server down totally… How do you handle the character names problem?? No idea, but leaving a dead server up is bad.

Closing a dead realm and mothballing all the non-active accounts is likely the best solution to that problem.

If the game gets an outbreak of players coming in then that’s a good problem to have, and Blizzard can indeed look into solutions for these new players by building them a new home or adding them to certain less populated realms.

2 Likes

You can quote it, but please don’t link that dudes videos.

In any case, yes Cross Realm BGs will be in the game as they were in 1.12.

You know, as I read todays update I saw 100000 people complaining about how this update is a nothingburger and a waste of time because all its doing is telling us what we already know.

Blizzard: We are going based on 1.12

Forums: Yeah… but what does that MEAN exactly?

Blizzard: That we are basing almost EVERYTHING on 1.12

Forum: Oh I see… but will it have “X”?

Blizzard: Was it in 1.12?

Forum: Yes…

Blizzard: Its going to be in Classic then.

And now, right after having them triple down on 1.12, their reasoning for it and more. Here we are again asking if a 1.12 BG feature is going to be in the game, when they have confirmed 1.12 based BGs, 1.12 Based itemization, 1.12 based Talents and abilities and more.

People keep asking the same damn question and we already know the answer. They have explained what the few exceptions to 1.12 will be, the BattleNet stuff, Mail, the mod/macro API, Graphics options and a few others, but we basically know everything now.

2 Likes

Off on a bit of a tangent here; but I think Blizzard is actually interested to see if our Classic realm communities are going to be able to solve content problems ourselves. If BG queues are long, and we know that Blizzard isn’t going to step in and “fix” things, maybe we will just use the forums and arrange cross-faction agreements for best times and days to queue for BG.

This could tell Blizzard a great deal about how to re-introduce community into their main game. Do they have to baby sit it, or just give it the tools to sort things on its own.

2 Likes