Are bots not banned anymore?

Another quote from the Botter’s handbook

4 Likes

I told you exactly how to ‘fix’ it. Players need to stop giving them cash.

There wouldn’t be any point of existing if there wasn’t a financial incentive from players to do so.

8 Likes

To be fair, I don’t think we have the tech yet to defeat all bots in games permanently. They will always be around. It is wrong to give up though, or think Blizz would give up fighting them. That is what botters want people to think.

5 Likes

Back in the day, I used to farm spider silk in Duskwood by following a regular path based upon how I knew the mobs were laid out.
Used to get whispered all the time but I never felt any obligation to respond and interrupt my farming.
More often than not, I would just disable chat windows.

2 Likes

In those 14 years the bot programs have been updated the same as WoW. The bot program this year is not the same one as last year, even if they do the same thing.

Over 200 realms. This is the least efficient method to monitor it.

There is no rule that says you have to respond to a random whisper.
Edit:
There’s also no proof that if they do answer they aren’t botting.

4 Likes

From another thread on why bots aren’t banned immediately. People just see the surface. They have no understanding of the actual complexity. On top of that, saying “any human can see it’s a bot” is indicating players somehow have magic x-ray powers to see the code they’re exploiting. That’s the ONLY way you know it’s really a bot and not an efficient player.

3 Likes

The usual failure to grasp the scope and complexity of botting and the obsession with anecdotal evidence.

Look, if it was as simple as ‘oh, they’re taking the same path, they must be a bot’ then the bot programmers would be out of business. It’s a matter of having documented evidence of what accounts are botted and what aren’t. It’s a matter of breaking programs so they can’t come back without retooling. It’s a matter of lots of back-end stuff that players aren’t privy to.

Cyber-security isn’t a thing where there’s a magic wand that stops all of it immediately. It’s also not a thing where you can just look at some potential symptom and say ‘virus/bot/worm’! Do you assume your computer as a virus every time you run across a glitch? And WoW’s security is a level of computing far beyond what PCs deal with.

There are also considerably more bots than there are employees at Blizzard. And considerably more players for that matter. You will never see all bots eradicated, so don’t keep expecting to, for the same reason you will never see all murder, theft, or vandalism eradicated. Human (animal) nature.

2 Likes

Not to mention all the druid/dk bots running around herbing. I think we need a “Report Botting” option sadly. It’s so prevalent

It already exists. That’s what the cheating option is for.

5 Likes

unfortunately they aren’t always bots according to Blizzard. I have reported the same group of bots 3 times for zone disruption. They say it is a guy with 8 accounts hot boxing which is apparently legal.

Correct, multiboxing does not currently violate any rules.

5 Likes

Yes, multiboxing is allowed. They are not actually bots.

To do it the old way you needed 8 PCs and 8 WoW accounts. Then set up a wireless keyboard and mouse to control all the PCs at the same time.

Modern computers you can run 8 copies of WoW on the same computer and use software to send your Operating System commands to each of the game windows at the same time. So the player still controls all 8 accounts, just like they could control all 8 computers. It is a bit of an odd situation…but the software operates at the operating system level, and does not touch the game.

5 Likes

Multiboxing is not botting, and many players who multibox know exactly the rules that go into that type of game play. Botting is a program making decisions for the player with out direct game play input, while a multiboxer is completely in control of all their characters, even if they are broadcasting the same action across multiple instances of the game.

6 Likes

No it’s not. Blizzard has weighed in on this a thousand times over the years. It’s still one keypress equaling one action. IS there software out there that can automate it? Sure. There’s software out there that automates single characters too. Both are against the EULA.

Doesn’t exist on a private forum.

8 Likes

I think having your posts deleted is beneficial to you, spares to the embarrassment of people seeing how utterly wrong and foolish you seem.

8 Likes

What if I hook up a single wireless keyboard to 7 computers? Every keystroke and action I make through it is carried to all 7 accounts and therefore I am controlling 7 characters still. Am I botting?

The program doesn’t play the characters anymore than your keyboard does, it is still the user at the controls, which is one of the main factors in determining “botting”.

Well, no, we don’t prohibit it because it is a valid play style that some folks enjoy. It’s been part of MMO’s for a long time. We have put in some restrictions over the years that help to deal with some behaviors that can negatively impact the game as we whole, but overall it is permitted.

The amount of money we are talking about is negligible and seriously, negative feedback is common regarding multiboxers and have driven more than one person to quit, so that really isn’t a valid argument.

8 Likes

Xoo, we’re not a government and you aren’t guaranteed the right to post here. The posts were deleted because you posted 9 days latter simply to start an argument.

After you said you were “done gripping”.

10 Likes

You’re wrong. Across the board. This has literally been hashed out since 2004 across all the forums.

There is zero advantage, and some serious DISadvantages.

pay to win what pray tell??

6 Likes

So so much to correct here.

First off, don’t repost deleted comments. It is a surefire way for you to get a forum suspension. You are frankly lucky Vrak did not go that route. I recommend quitting while you are behind.

Second…nope too much to correct here. If only I could forget this. Oh wait.

Ahh thats better

6 Likes

You don’t understand basic supply and demand economics, do you?

4 Likes