Are Blood DK's good in pvp/pve as dps?

I know they are insane tanks now, how are they as pure dps in both pvp/pve?

They aren’t. Death Knights were adjusted in Cataclysm to have defined roles, not to be able to do anything in any spec anymore. Blood is a tank and only a tank now, trying to dps as one is like trying to dps as a prot paladin

4 Likes

supatease put it in S tier in pvp so idk

2 Likes

Don’t do it

1 Like

I just did 21.5k dpsing as Blood on Rotface and I forgot to stack Vengeance by standing in stuff. Probably going to try more bosses next week and see how it goes.

Looks like the highest dps just before prepatch were pushing 30k on Rotface

1 Like

I was 8th in my raid behind the bugged Fire Mages, two Rogues and one Ele Shaman. If I stood in stuff to stack Vengeance I probably would have been behind just the Mages.

Yeah, sounds pretty accurate for unbalanced prepatch shenanigans. You aren’t going to be pulling comparative numbers at 85

4 Likes

Unholy and Frost DKs are great in pvp. Blood is only good for 1v1s and trolling in world pvp, its not good in Arena.

I remember in original cata I used to do some 2s as blood, and basically if you’re with a dps or healer they will just focus them and you can’t do much. Maybe if you have double blood you could play the outlast game, but yeah doesn’t seem like it’d be great in arenas. Probably fun in bgs though.

Just did an EoTS as Blood:

https://i.imgur.com/sRsRbpT.jpeg

Gonna have to go through the same thing I went through in Ulduar to ToGC. Is it going to be worse at 85 having to pick and choose gear without Mastery and only grabbing set bonuses that function for Blood? Yeah. Is it going to be unviable? No. If you have a DK, just look at the numbers on DS and HS. I was one shotting people in this BG.

Death Strike is 462% weapon damage with the glyph.

I tested out Blood DPS on every boss in Heroic ICC tonight. Unholy presence for the most part, swapped into Blood at some points to throw out some Rune Strikes. It worked quite well on most bosses because of being able to easily stack Vengeance.

It’s not level 85 of course, and it’s probably not going to be as good but for now it was absolutely fine. There’s a fair bit of raid damage in Cataclysm so I think it’s likely to still be decent on some fights. Heart strike is kinda insane now for cleave as well.

Bg side most learn to kill a tanks squishier friends first, then them.

THey live longer but the dps is not deemed as deadly.

It took a later patch of sl with some odd crap balance to bring back blood dps. They were monsters geared and run right in bg.

Though, if you do play a Blood DK tank, you will often do as much DPS and your DPS.

To be fair, Blood tanks can do great DPS while tanking, but if you aren’t holding aggro on the boss, you won’t have those stacks of attack power.

I was getting lots of Vengeance in ICC as a Blood DPS tonight. Was top 5 on most fights, 1st and 2nd on a couple. I’m also absolutely butchering people in PvP even after the Resil fix. I feel stronger in PvP relative to other players than I did as Blood in WoTLK.

Thing is we are in the pre patch haze. Odd things happen.

Like 3 shot rogue kills on demos.

I will wait to see how 85 feels. I was not here first go round. So it will be fun to fumble about in new to me territory. I have bdk on list after Paladin and spriest get done first.

Yeah, I’ll probably end up testing it out at 85. If it completely fails I will admit it. People said the exact same thing to me over and over again in WoTLK. Then I beat a couple Vengeful Gladiator’s at 2200+ rating in 2’s with my Arms Warrior partner who only had a Shadow’s Edge and no good PvE gear. They were extremely shocked, beat them 3 times in a row.

Wish people were more open to ideas and experiments.

Why I like pug pvp. I just do whatever if fun.

I get my meta or death quota met in eve lol.

1 Like

Unfortunately the glory of the DPS Blood DK was short-lived like the hype of the Arpen in the last patch.

I would have liked there to be a spec, but it seems that from this expansion the Blood DK will continue the course of the best WoW tank.