Are addons safe?

Hi there, I haven’t posted in like five years, but I have a question. Is downloading an addon safe? Will it do anything to my computer? I don’t have any anti virus software on my pc, as I rarely download anything, other than games from Steam, or pictures. Are there any ‘safe’ websites for downloading them as well?

Thanks, Anima Painsinger

2 Likes

Depends where you get it. I only install addons using the twitch app (formerly called curse).

10 Likes

Addons are not safe. Never use them. They will put ransom ware on you’re computer

1 Like

Traditional addons - like the LUA based ones you get from curse, are fine. They run in a sandboxed environment that prevents them from doing ‘bad things’

Don’t get tricked by other ones though - like anything that has an install program for it or is an actual executable. Those aren’t really addons. They are something else and you should be as careful with them as any program you get off the internet.

13 Likes

I always use Curse, and I only use the major add-ons, which many 1000s of other folks use.

I’m 100% certain that some of the add-ons are very NOT safe.

I get them from Curse, I’ve never had a problem.

4 Likes

I’ve download a mod for a game on Steam, with no issues, it’s just glitchy sometimes. They guy who made it updates and fixes it though

Ignore this … it’s completely stupid.

As long as you either use the twitch app or the curseforge website for wow addons, they will be completely fine. You can also go ask in the UI forum, they can point you to safe addons to use.

17 Likes

Yeah the one I want looks like it’s on Curseforge

4 Likes

As long as you’re using a trusted client like Twitch (the one most people use, although there are others), yes. Addons are perfectly safe. They’ll download a script to your WoW folder and have no effect on the rest of your system.

4 Likes

Curse and Tuki (elvui) are safe. Tuki just another client with addons. Used addons for years never an issue. Just don’t go download it off a random site.

4 Likes

I do this as well, havent any problems with them even after converting to twitch. I wouldnt trust a different one because of how long ive been using curse without issues like how the one guy said ransomware? (Never heard of this issue with addons)

Ive never lost my account or anything to a “hacker”. Use the authenticator if you dont already too op.

1 Like

Ladyboy in Pattaya?

3 Likes

Download from Curse or WoW Interface and your addons should be safe. Never had a problem in 15 years.

5 Likes

I’ve been using an authenticator on my iPad for more than ten years. I guess I should be fine? Also, I’m pretty sure that guy was trying to be funny. Or sarcastic :s

1 Like

The only add-on I’ve heard have problems was Weak-Auras & the issue was patched out a long time ago. Just make sure you get the ‘strings’ for it off trusted sources as well.

(The sneaky gold sending mailbox string if anyone doesn’t remember)

3 Likes

Twitch/Curse is your friend. You should be A-Ok.

1 Like

Doubtful, there are people who dislike addons of all kinds and try to scare people off using them. I’ve been using Deadly Boss Mods, vuhdo (a raid frame addon), Miks scrolling battle text and a few others for over a decade now. Never had problems with them except for the usual buggy nature after a new patch which the authors tend to fix fairly rapidly.

6 Likes

If you can’t find it on curse, don’t use it

1 Like

The only places I ever get addons are Curse and WowInterface, I’ve never had a problem in 10+ years.

2 Likes