Archaeology Event: Big Dig

Its been some time since the event has been active. There seems to be some issue with the length of time required to finish this content from both the hardcore and casual vantage point.

I will share some baseline facts that are present from the experiences I have had so far. This is from completing every drop quest and collecting all the transmogs available from the drops associated with the boss itself.

There is 42,000 reputation required to reached Tenured.
Every weekly completion of the Big Dig quest will give you 3,000 reputation.
3,000 rep x 14 weeks = 42,000 reputation.

Each tome you acquire throughout an event will give
25 rep = Green
50 rep = blue
100 = epic
On average lets say your group will complete 5 digs every single event. (Even though many people only get through 1-2 with phasing and not understanding they could join groups in group finder).
Lets say you get 2 green. 2 blue. 1 epic from every single event.
That would be 25(2) + 50(2) + 100 = 250 reputation per event.

If we take 250 reputation and multiple that by 12 weeks worth of grinding the 3,000 reputation per week (assuming you want to only grind reputation that way), you get 1 week of the 3,000 reputation quest you don’t have to do. Leaving us with essentially 13 weeks of reputation grinding the weekly.
That’s not terrible. That’s a grind for sure.
Could it be less? Should it? I personally don’t think it’s worth fighting for change.
What I have issue with is this.

The requirement to obtain every transmog off the vendor in Thaldrazus at the Algeth’ar Academy is 238,000 fragments. (by my count)
With the current setup. We get 5,000 fragments each weekly quest completed for The Big Dig. Each consecutive completion on an alt will give you Dragon Isle resources instead of fragments. Negating any alt grind.

Every WQ you complete (once you unlock them all - per character) will award I believe 300-800 fragments each, roughly.
You can obtain fragments by completing tomes, artifacts learned throughout the course of a dig. This give on average 50-300 each.
Lets says you get 5 of these every event. Averaging 200 per item. 1,000 fragments per event. (which is really high)

Over the course of grinding out the 13 weeks of reputation required Weekly Quests / events. You’ll have amassed roughly 13,000 fragements.
Say you completed 3 World Quests every rotation. Reseting every 3 and a half days.
6 World Quests giving on average -lets’ say 700 fragments every time for good measure.
700 x 6 World quests per week is 4,200 fragements.
4,200 fragments x 13 weeks = 54,600 fragments.
54,600 fragments + 65,000 (5,000 fragments per weekly quest x 13 weeks)
114,600 fragments by the time you complete Tenured.

You need 238,000 fragments to obtain everything from the vendor - Provisioner Aristta -. That includes the mount and every transmog possible.

At bare minimum with this math. Which can be off - up or down depending on consistancy / time available to play.
It will take at least 26 weeks of doing a single event, and every World Quest.
156 WQs + 26 Big Digs weekly quests. All for 22 Transmogs. 1 mount.

There may be another angle I’m missing. My values may be off. I tried being as close to accurate without spending 4-5+ events getting averaged data sets. I used the Azerothian Archives wowhead guide post as reference for reputation and a couple other points.

Let me know what you think.

8 Likes

Unfortunately it’s random if you get any fragments at all. This week I got gold from all 6 WQs for example. The only guaranteed reward is rep.

I definitely think that the balance between fragments and rep seems very far off. I’m currently at 60k fragments and 4.7k/11.5k Learned, so about half way on rep but only a quarter of the way on fragments (which lines up with your numbers). The overall length of the grind is sort of whatever to me, it just seems very silly that you finish the rep (which has absolutely no rewards beyond the achievement for hitting exalted) so long before you finish the cosmetics.

The actual Big Dig event also seems like it took the launch version of the Iskaara feast event, replaced the tasks with archaeology related ones and added a filler. It’s still bad on both dead shards (you get a ton of actual tasks but very few bags) and full shards (you get maybe 1 task if you’re lucky but a lot of bags). Neither one is particularly fun, because you either get gameplay (being a bit generous here, the tasks are not particularly engaging) or rewards, never both. Researchers Under Fire had the same shard issues, while both RUF and Time Rifts did better because you always got tasks (which were also more fun because they actually involved fighting, the thing that WoW does the best). Superbloom doesn’t neatly fit into this category because it doesn’t have explicit tasks, just a bar that you don’t fill on dead shards and overkill on big shards.

EDIT: The tasks for The Big Dig also use shared clickables on the ground, meaning you very often end up stuck at like 4 out of 5 done and needing to wait for respawns. That’s… dumb.

9 Likes

Hard agree, and I think it needs a lot more polish. Particularly the reputation since why is there a reputation if none of the vendor items are rep locked? At the very least there should be some sort of reward at every reputation breakpoint but it feels odd that this is even a faction at all.

5 Likes

So I just finished the rep while having less than half the required fragments to buy the cosmetics. I started running the event on 2 characters simultaneously just to speed up fragment acquisition (screenshot is only the ones my priest got on its own) because it’s hilariously out of balance with the rate of rep gains.

2 Likes

The bone clover task is . . . ridiculous. It’s been broken for me every time. it’s really not much fun when they just rebranded something already in game and tried to spin it as something new. This isn’t archeology. . . I wish they would bring the actual archeology back. I bought the mount, will buy the cosmetics and once I hit exalted will never do it again. It’s just not fun for me. I’ll finish the rep because I always do, but yeah, I’m with the OP.

2 Likes

I agree with everybody about the rep and fragment ratio being off.

When the patch dropped, I did all the available quests and then the Big Dig. I enjoyed it. I really liked it.

And then I finished all that, I looked at the rep, fragments, and the vendor. WHAT? The grind for the fragments is ridiculous!!

That really took the wind out of my sails, and I haven’t done any related quests or Big Digs since. It’s a pity, because like I said, I had a blast doing those quests.

But, oh man, that fragment grind… talk about demoralizing.

3 Likes