Arcane PVP tactics

Just messing around but any general tips while fighting other classes generally speaking ?

Guess keep slow on and use instants.

Just wondering on how to do decently :))

After the gutting of mana shield and the further nerf to AP, the new rotation for Arcane in pvp is to respec fire and hope your team is decent. This works for any “vs class” combo.

Failing that, you can try and stack 3 arcane pummeling traits, take the amplification and arcane empowerment (pvp tree) talents then run around trying to proc 3 stacks of AM. Once you have that, select a target, pop all cds/trinkets and machine gun the sorry sod into oblivion. Then you run and hide until cds back up and repeat.

EDIT Apparently I can’t post on my main atm due to a bug, no idea why it selected my crappy DH alt :smiley:

No worries LOL. Thanks. I just wish they gave the spec some oomph I love running around the world with the low cd invis and major maneuverability. Like a caster rogue.

Just wish there was more of a concept or strategy

Actually Arcane is currently the best 2v2 Mage spec for its reliability to be unkillable.

2 Likes

Scratch that, Pummeling got a 50% nerf on 8.1 release. It’s absolutely terrible.
Running 3x 340 tidal surge is probably better than 3x 390 pummeling.

1 Like

Except it isn’t, Pummeling is still really strong in PvP.

I wish, but it really isn’t.
390 pummeling piece gives 128 + (128x2) + (128x3) + (128x4) + (128x5) = 1920 bonus damage on a fully channeled Clearcast Arcane Missiles with Amplification.
Multiply that by 3 and you get 5760 total bonus damage, ONLY for Clearcasting procs with Amplification AND only if you fully channel them.

This is roughly 29% damage increase for AM with my 386ilvl gear, which might sound great on paper, but it’s actually quite bad when you consider the lower Clearcasting proc chance compared to Legion, the lower AM damage and that you have to get a fully channeled Missiles with Amplification, otherwise the bonus damage is negligible.

1 Like

And what specifically makes arcane “unkillable?”

You get 6 per Clearcasting and Arcane Empowerment also increases your Missiles damage, in Arcane Power that can take out upwards of 60% of someone’s health.

Arcane has a lot of defensives and can heal itself better than the other two specs, we also take less magic damage.

Unless you’re up againsts a survival hunter, DH or a rogue, then you can avoid most damage, except DoTs.
And even for DoTs, Prismatic Barrier reduces magic dots duration and reduces magic damage taken by 15% + Dampen Magic and you become nearly unkillable, unless you get 100-0’d in a stun.

That’s incorrect, the first missile doesn’t benefit from Arcane Pummeling, since there is no “previous missile” as the tooltip says. You only get 5 instances of bonus damage(with amplification, 4 without).

Also 60% hp of equally geared person with 1 missiles channel is complete bullcrap. I have 386ilvl gear with 7.7k intellect and 164k HP.
If I equip 3x 390 pummeling, my clearcast missiles do ~25500 damage, that’s roughly 15% of my HP, meaning that I have to QUADRIPLE my damage to deal 60% of same ilvl player or nearly triple my damage and get 6 crits in a row.
Even if you spec Overpowered and Rune of Power, it’s mathematically impossible to deal that much damage, unless you get external damage buffs or 5-6 crits from 1 channel.

1 Like

Again, what are these “defensives” and what healing are you referring to? Greater invisibility gives a damage reduction but it’s so obscenely short and don’t get me started on how easy it is to knock you out of invisibility. As for heals, cauterizing blink and temporal displacement are all I can think of. Any mage can get CB and that’s a VERY minor hot unless you’re able to stack 3 in which case it graduates from minor to medium at best. TD can be dispelled. Less magic damage is nice but it’s not usually a caster who’s killing you. None of that even remotely equates to “unkillable.”

Cauterizing Blink is stronger for Arcane thanks to Displacement resetting a charge of Blink/Shimmer. Temporal Shield being dispellable isn’t as bad as you feel it is, we still receive the healing when it gets dispelled.

The other healing defensive trait we can abuse more readily than Fire and Frost is Quick Thinking, spam Arcane Explosion for some self healing; thanks to Clearcasting proccing from AE spam it greatly reduces the cost to do so (Frost Nova also activates Quick Thinking).

Just because these traits are nerfed in PvP doesn’t mean they aren’t effective.

Just spec into nether tempest and rotate it with barrage cooldown, no need to waste mana for AE.

When you’re in range of a target, yeah.

How many people do you know that have all those exact traits on their gear? Even then, it’s still laughable that “arcane is unkillable.” One extra cauterizing blink isn’t going to do that much and spamming AE is going to oom you very quickly.

Look up and watch Spart on youtube…profit. He is nigh unkillable.

Quick thinking is very under rated in wpvp imo. Frost spec, heals for a couple k. Not worth much. Arcane tho, 10k. 20k crits for me. Only hindered by the gcd. It’s easy to LoS and heal up pretty quickly. While stacking clear casts. With all the other tools, I have to agree that arcane is the toughest mage spec to kill. (I dont main mage so my input is meh)

2 Likes