Arcane Power & Icy Veins removed from GCD

Blue post: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/shadowlands-update-some-spells-no-longer-on-gcd/630189

This means arcane’s burst ramp-up will be up to three 1.5s casts before haste: TotM, Radiant Spark, and RoP (on minibursts).

2 Likes

Best news so far. Arcane is basically a locked in choice for me now if not main

“We’ve heard clear feedback that incurring a global cooldown to do nothing but enhance subsequent button presses is unsatisfying, and we agree.”

Yet you did it in the first place and had thousands of people telling you this after.

Oh well, GREAT NEWS. Like the best news arcane has had in probably 8 years.

2 Likes

This really is a great change. Yes, it would have been nice if it had stayed this way in the first place but I’m glad to have it back.

3 Likes

As someone that has been maining with Arcane, this is a very welcome change. It’ll be interesting to see how many fire mages choose to convert

1 Like

Rejoice! Much needed.

“Upon further reflection, we’ve found excessive amounts of happiness among the arcane mage community. Given this is not how we intended the fix to unfold, we have decided to revert this change and reduce arcane damage 25%. Enjoy frost.”

3 Likes

Now if they could change Icy Veins to do something better instead of being a watered down Time Warp, we’d be cool.

Edit: I find the PvP talent for Icy Veins way better than baseline Icy Veins, especially on the no-IL build because it bumps up the power of your Frostbolt by 30%, which means better icicle quality, and is on a 1 min cooldown. This gives it perfect synch with Orb for that periodic bump in damage - and with NoIL build, Orb hits like a truck once you stack up enough Mastery. It also renders you immune to stuns which is pretty useless for PvE but not bad at all because some of the elites in world PvE do stun every now and then, and it’s useful in those minor PvP skirmishes (I play on an Alliance-heavy server).

Point being, Blizz has shown that it has some replacement options for Icy Veins, but it’s sad that they don’t follow through and make the changes baseline. Surely they must be aware of how poor of a DPS cooldown Icy Veins is when compared to Arcane Power or Combustion. It’s one of the reasons Frost usually falls behind its Fire and Arcane counterparts as expansions progress, the DPS cooldown is very weak. Traditionally, Blizz just buffs up all of its spell damage as a band-aid towards the tail end of expansions (BFA included) but then doesn’t bother fixing the underlying issues when the next expansion rolls in.

Arcane is looking stellar, and I might switch over to Arcane once corruptions are gone in pre-patch. I just wish they’d dedicate some time to Frost’s biggest issues: Icy Veins and proc munching.

Don’t get me wrong, I am appreciative for the change; but they are just undoing stuff they got wrong in the first place even after so much feedback, and they choose to ignore it. I am glad for the change, but I am not ready to forgive…not even close. Nowe we got even more borrowed power systems in SL…we’ll see how it goes this time around.

2 Likes