Arcane is getting a buff

For all my arcane mage friends

Definitely good news.

I think we’ll still be dead last even with an 8% buff. But not by quite as much as before.

9 Likes

Just think Mist, your neck will hurt a lot less from not having to crane it quite as high to look up on the meters.

But in all seriousness, while this is wonderful for us, it’s mind-blowing how they still refuse to address the actual root causes of the spec’s problems.

10 Likes

It’s better than nothing :cry:

1 Like

What?

Going by current numbers this would conservatively place arcane around 5-7 ranks higher than current.

And it’s not even “dead last” right now.

2 Likes

Yes it is.

Source:

http://warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/23

Arcane is currently dead last out of all 24 DPS specs in the game in Eternal Palace by a sizeable margin. That’s no doubt why it’s getting such a sizeable buff on Tuesday.

6 Likes

Best we can hope for mid-expansion is a numbers boost to make the spec competitive.

Major mechanics changes are usually left to the pre-patch before the next expansion.

2 Likes

(read the bloody pinned messages in the forums and learn how to post links)

If you’re going off overall or 75% logs, that’s adorable. A good range, depending on the fight, is anywhere from 90% (more cheesable fights) to 99% (less cheesable fights)

Sub and Frost are both lower in some of said percentiles, and arcane is literally equal to with multiple specs. But the graph isn’t going to put them side by side, that’s not how graphs work.

In the 90%, Arcane is within 4% of 4 other specs.
In the 95%, it’s within 4% of 5 other specs and ahead of one.
In the 99%, it’s within 4% of 4 other specs.
At the 100%, it’s within 4% of 3 other specs and ahead of one.

1 Like

doesn’t fix the core issues of arcane, including but not limited to: clunky AoE, nonexistent 2t cleave, and the movement tax

plus it’s still boring as sin to play so who cares

you’re still griefing by playing arcane on most fights in palace because either the core mechanics of the fights, or fire just shines because of cleave, i.e ashvane or orgozoa lol

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

Going off of 90th percentile or above seems meaningless.

At those percentiles you’re getting the outer edge of the bell-curve. You’re getting parses where all the RNG lined up perfectly and the player was allowed to ignore mechanics and tunnel… and probably got an above average number of crits and procs.

Blizzard doesn’t do class balance based on who is at the 90th, 99th, or 100th percentile. Doing so would produce a flawed result as it would artificially favor classes with mechanics that are most affected by RNG. We’d end up with lots of skewed class balance if they balanced based purely on the top ranks.

There would be a lot of angry players since the buffs would not match most players’ experiences.

75th percentile is much more relevant to what most players will experience … good parses yes, but not ones so dominated by RNG to the exclusion of everything else.

13 Likes

Mist is correct that more players will be around the 75th percentile than 95th regardless of how you personally feel about that being good or not.

Even when it’s played its best, Arcane still needed a buff so what’s the point in arguing here?

Arcane is the least forgiving due to it’s turret nature, so it’s not like this is going to catapult them to top DPS.

10 Likes

No one stated otherwise.

What does that metter. Where the majority of players are is not where the game should be balanced, or the game will be invariably imbalanced as a result. Playing something optimally should be the consideration.

I’m not going to pretend I have Blizzard’s secret formula for balancing, but I’d be willing to bet my left nut it’s not geared at 95% or greater parses in totality. There’s a lot to factor in, and I’m sure the impact is measured across lower parses and even non PvE.

Regardless, Arcane was not doing well in any section of this game. This buff was warranted and overdue.

8 Likes

Ah yes another post from Drez on the mage forums about how if you’re not consistently parsing orange, you don’t matter.

13 Likes

That’s not what I said at all, you weapon.

Yet another insult from Drez, how cute.

6 Likes

And you’re a perfect example of someone who lives to insult and criticize people while hiding on an alt. You act like an elite player and you may very well be, but it’s hard to take a level 20 seriously. Especially when the vast majority of your posts are talking down to people. I may not be at high level or whatever you consider yourself to be, but at least I have the stones to post on my main where people can see what I have or haven’t done.

Ignoring the causes of arcane’s issues doesn’t just affect people at “high level” play and even a couple alterations of small things like a talent change or moving them from one tier to another would make a world of difference. Neither counts as “significant changes.” The fact that this proposed buff would be 14% total when combined with the previous one shows just how out of touch they are with the spec. Raw damage buffs are great, but when there are only 2 pure ST fights in the current raid for a spec that does nothing else and isn’t even close to top tier on those, it really doesn’t do that much overall.

As I’ve said to others on the WOW forums, you can disagree with people and have debates/discussions, but when you’re always insulting and talking down to people it undermines your points. Even if they are correct.

20 Likes

Then feel free to point out where I’ve erred in the past. I have an impeccable track record, one that would be a tad difficult for someone merely impersonating a decent player to achieve.

That’s not true at all, actually.

So now it’s a bravery thing? It’s a game, mate.

And this is where we disagree. Because everything I say would be backed by players superior in skill, knowledge, and experience to myself.

What you say would be backed by other people, just like you, that post on the forums and little else. I’m sure you’d accrue great support on reddit, too.

1 Like

Lol I didn’t realize I was arguing with Donald Trump, carry on “mate.”

6 Likes

this is actually the funniest thing i’ve ever read lol

the fact that someone can say this without a hint of irony, self-awareness, or even an ATTEMPT at humility is remarkable

17 Likes