April Copeland's reponse to the new Kalimdor book

That just sounds like a difference of opinion in WoW lore. Especially since we’re supposed to be considering the Old Gods and Void lords as morally grey.

Ion said Blood Trolls were morally black, and Blood trolls served G’huun, an Old God, so we’re not supposed to consider the Old Gods morally grey.

3 Likes

Non sequitur, Amani are a sympathetic humanoid race within the narrative based on Caribbean peoples and North American natives with some Nahua architecture

Aqir are evil bug people who in their original architecture at most have some vague Egyptian antiquity elements via Obelisks (eg in Nyalotha and thee 8.3 content) but otherwise are not coded ethnically nor racially but rather are references to Lovecraft’s various insectoid beings serving Old Ones.

Y’all truly lack the range.

8 Likes

Ion has said a lot of dumb things. And also they continually try to sort of frame Fel and Void as this sort of ‘freedom’ instead of order. They’re improvisation and possibility, they’re primordial forces just as necessary to cosmic balance as Light is, despite Light being pretty much universally positive, we’re supposed to find Light morally grey because it crystallizes planets, or whatever.

TBF G’huun was an artificial Old God

The Lor’themar thing is just weird. Why would that seem like a good idea in even the most generous, innocent circumstances? Zekhan is young but he’s not, like, five years old. He’s physically mature and looks no different than any other adult troll. How can this be anything other than “civilized (elf) teaches savage (troll) how to read and write”? It fails on an IRL cultural level, and it fails on an ingame lore level (zero indication there is a literacy problem in the Horde; even if there were Lor’themar is leading a nation on the other side of the planet, why is he of all people tutoring Zekhan?).

Also: “cultures in WoW are not based on real world ones” my freaking @$$. The nerve of even trying to pass that off, lol.

10 Likes

That’s not quite right. Purely from a Lore perspective, the Highborne who later became Blood Elves actually only did what was their right according to the contract between the Highborne and the Trolls, they took the land and the Trolls have to accept it.

Just as the Titanforged simply accepted when trolls took land, they even allowed them to choose a seal of G’Hun as the main location of their future capital. (I mean, what happened to the Titanforged that were there in the first place?)

its an different story, compared to the real story of colonializm. And on top of it, Darkspear are not amani.

In this instance it seems to be more to learn Thalassian, as the Blood Elves have the Horde’s best research library, apperantly. I am still unsure why the Zandalari would not have one which he could read a lot easier but. Alas.

what i ask me in such situation, what have they thought would be the result if they do such things? Would they be celebrated …or what?^^ What was the purpose of this…“Detail”? i can´t find him.

But it also doesn’t change anything about my earlier statement about the circumstances being different. I can see why it might feel familiar for it to be a certain kind of annoying trope for it to be Lor’themar to do it. But the circumstances are different because Trolls and Elves are equal in the Horde. Lor’themar isn’t doing this because the Blood elves are colonizing the Darskpear, exploiting their labor, and taking it upon themselves to erase their culture by teaching them to only read and write Thalassian. This is a leader from an allied nation helping a young up and comer become literate in a world were literacy is probably not as important if you’re not a mage to your ability to hold a weapon. Even still I agree that it should not have been Lor’themar to be the one to do it.

1 Like

That’s not true. They settled in Quel’thalas by force, and the trolls were mad. No contract was made.

3 Likes

The land that is Quel’thalas was never ceded to the Kaldorei empire during the negotiations way back when. It was stolen by the Highborne exiles with force, through and through.

Most of what became Lordaeron and the eastern kingdoms, though, was. So, everyone please get off our very large yard.

7 Likes

You miss the Context, so for you:

Azshara made a deal with the trollkind as a whole, they are allowed to keep zandalar, everything else is land of the elves, if they want it, they can take it, and the trolls have to accept that.

So, the Highborne (you know, the eliteforce around azshara), as they were traveling to the ek, haven´t changed so much but know exactly about the treaty their queen made once. As they landed in Lordaeron first…they were attacked right on the spot, and so start the exact thing.

in their arrogance the thought they world still belong to them, without Dath
Remar they would even enslaved the early humantribes there. But in their perspective…this land belongs to them. They even charged further into the north to the nexus of the leylines and were constantly attacked from amani.

The Kaldorei Empire was long gone at that point. This was a different group of Elves that colonized the Amani.

3 Likes

it was the highborne group arround dath’remar, without Dath’Remar they would even have enslaved the humantribes, so, no, they haven´t changed so much, dath’remar had changed…but the highbornes arround him?

That is incorrect. As I just stated. Azashara’s deal ceded rights to land already claimed by Kaldorei empire, the trolls in exchange would not attack the outer provinces and Azashara would permit them to exist in what was left outside the empire’s borders.

The trolls never forgave the Elves for the humiliating and lopsided terms, but had no real choice but to accept.

8 Likes

the trollkind was only promised to keep zandalar, nothing else.

Ugh, don’t remind me of Golden’s love for the White Savior trope.

12 Likes

No… Azashara promised not to expand her borders further, and she didn’t.

This is the borders as established by that compact, and they never moved past it. As you can see, Quel’thalas is well outside that. It was still solidly troll land.

4 Likes

This “night elf lands” were every corner she wanted, because the night elfs take this lands from the trolls…

its even stayed that she continued the expanding of the empire, the trolls had to accept it or be wiped out