April Copeland's reponse to the new Kalimdor book

POC problems included in the lawsuit is another issue that seems so miniscule it’s not brought up often.

Him being gone didn’t change the problems in the book.

I haven’t seen anything about that.

How?

It’s called stream of conscious, it’s how discussions evolve. I criticize WoW but not always about the same things other people do.

“But it’s art” is a very dangerous and slippery slope to tread. We don’t want to go down that path. Ones freedom to express themselves ends where it begins to harm others. Perpetuating harmful ideas through media stereotypes is not good.

1 Like

Lore I know that’s you just post on your damn main

5 Likes

…You know I am surprised this thread has not been locked yet. Just an observation.

6 Likes

It would be like pouring kerosene on a still burning fire

2 Likes

But that is their best talent.

8 Likes

We need Thaddeus here to talk about abortion for that.

2 Likes

Yeah, no. Evelysaa, I’m not quite that gullible.

2 Likes

…no thanks.

8 Likes

Well you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, I don’t think lesser of you for it. I commend you for staying respectful, along with everyone else who has responded to me here, because I know I’m being aggressive and it probably annoys the people who are responding to me.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Irons uses they/them pronouns and announced their resignation from Blizzard a few weeks after the lawsuit news came out, seemingly for the sake of their own mental health. They have also retweeted a lot of pro-ABK Workers Alliance stuff, well after having left Blizzard themselves.

100% agreed that this is a major problem.

By not taking the effort to make sure that the vernacular in question is being utilized correctly, the creators are showing disrespect towards those who use that vernacular in real life. That’s why it’s a major problem. It doesn’t matter how many players don’t notice or care about the inaccuracies, it’s still disrespectful to those that do. It’s essentially saying “your language isn’t as important as mine, so I don’t care if I get it right.” Such an attitude is incongruous with Blizzard’s claims that they’re trying to improve in the areas of diversity and inclusion.

13 Likes

TBH, this book also has the Dark Portal existing during the War of the Ancients, so…

Um.

Really looks incredibly unpolished next to the Eastern Kingdoms one and my respect for it is not remarkably high.

12 Likes

Yeah I am baffled. I dont know what went so terribly wrong in this one, other than the change of authors? Say what you will of her, Golden did a very good job with Eastern Kingdoms.

The Kalimdor book feels like Copeland tried to imitate her style and got so caught up in that he got his own facts wrong.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how the intellectual property rights work, so I’m not sure if fans are allowed to write their own books and monetize them for their efforts.

If it’s allowed though, I wouldn’t mind diving into an Exploring Outland.

There’s so much jank, awkwardness and what I hope is unintentional racism that I have to wonder what fell apart with this one.

2 Likes

I don’t see it being used incorrectly as a problem because it’s a fictional universe where languages and their uses can be fabricated. If the issue were in a TV series about real people and events (for example) I’d feel differently.

1 Like

Sadly, I SUPER DO NOT suggest that. Per Their Legal FAQ:

Can I write novels, screenplays, theatrical productions or other adaptations based on your games?

No. Blizzard Entertainment® reserves the right to extend and expand our properties to other media. We want to provide a consistent story and universe for our customers, and want to ensure that only the highest quality, officially licensed and approved material is created based on our characters and other creative properties.

(lol at “consistent story and universe” though)

7 Likes

I would completely honestly love that.

Outland was a fascinating setting with a lot of dangling threads, and very few of them have been satisfactorily answered.

2 Likes

If I could do so legally I’d make a Zovaal prequel film starring Chris Pratt.

3 Likes

Unfortunate.

I was genuinely considering it these last couple days too. I had a rough outline in my head and everything, and intended it to use the perspective of some Ethereals.

The only problem, besides the legal matter, would be that anything in it that is creating new lore wouldn’t be taken seriously since it’s not official.