Apple support is one of the main reason I still play WoW

After reading some of the posts on here about how Mac support is being limited, it not a very comforting feeling. Seeing new Blizzard games (or remakes) not including Mac sucks.

I have been playing Blizzard games since WC1 BECAUSE Blizz had Mac and PC support day 1 on most of their games.

I am not an Apple only guy, nor someone without experience on other platforms. I have used Atari (400/800/STs), Commodores / Amigas, SunSparcs, AIX, most flavors of Linux, BeOS, Os2 warp, every version of DOS windows (including supporting MS since NT 4) and of course Mac OS from 6.0 through Ventura. I just prefer OS X and the integration with everything else I own.

I was just in the process of doing a new budget PC build just for gaming (running on an i3 mini with an RX 560 EGPU rn) but it’s 90% for WoW and maybe 10% FFXIV or older MMORPGs like SWTOR, P99 TLP EQ. The new M2 mini or even M2 Pro would be a great addition instead but it sucks wanting to invest in a new machine when it’s main function would be for WoW and not sure how long WoW will support it…

16 Likes

I’m totally with you. I need to be on a Mac for work, not fond of the idea of building a pc just for wow, the budget is pretty tight here. All my real life friends game on consoles.

Wow has been my bastion for gaming. I’ve always felt comfortable on the thought that at least this I’ll have.

But I think you and me both will have to let go and go for that build pretty soon. Apple is not nice to developers and, let’s be honest, not that nice to us too.

4 Likes

I need a Mac for work, and one of the main reasons I started playing WoW was mac support, at a time when there wasn’t a lot of support for Mac gaming.

I mentioned when I recently unsubbed that one of the reasons was inconsistency in Mac support. This is the second time recently that a patch has had extended and widespread downtime for mac players with no refund, and I can’t even use my full screen to play because of the still not fixed Full Screen compatibility issues, or re-size to use the full monitor because it will crash.

I’m not financially in a position where I could build a gaming rig, but nothing about the current direction is convincing me I’d want to play WoW if I did because of the current lack of Mac support. I’d be building a gaming PC to play something other than WoW rather than continuing to play WoW, effectively.

7 Likes

I will not continue to play if Mac support ends

5 Likes

I will never use Windows. If I had to build a PC for WoW, it would be Linux, which would have it’s own support issues being completely unsupported. I’d much prefer to keep playing on Macs though, as I have been since 2007.

I’ll definitely quit WoW before being forced to use Windows.

7 Likes

Meh, the hate on WIndows these days is overwarranted, but understood. THe one BIG benefit you get playing on the Windows platform is:

Video Cards

Apple lately sucks in that department. Go Windows, get a real graphics card and really enjoy the game on graphic level 10. I did Yogg-Saron fight last night on an M1 iMac and it choked the iMac on graphics setting 5. Garbage.

1 Like

If you don’t share details about your settings and think M1 GPU is top range than your comparision is a bit meh. Yes you can buy a windows PC with a better graphic card but it will be a bulky one and not look like an iMac so again don’t make that comparison.

I had no problem with this patch on my mac whats the skinny the lowdown the 411

1 Like

I won’t use Windows either. I’d rather go back to struggling with getting WoW to boot on Linux every patch than install another Microsoft OS. Please don’t kill support for WoW on Mac, Blizzard.

To be fair, I run all graphics settings at 10 on a 6900 XT on a Mac. It’s not impossible.

Heck i run everything on a 10 on a macbook pro m1 max, 50% render and FSR and still looks great with 60fps locked in most non city locations.

How is the fps performance in raids tho? :face_with_monocle:

depends on raid, not all boss arenas equal. but anywehre from 45-60. world bosses can drop to low 27s cause game engine is not so good there cpu wise. but 45-60 with variable refresh rate still feels good.

2 Likes