Apple Studio Display (crackle sound)

This may be an odd issue and I thought this was related to the display itself or macOS Ventura but now playing WoW Classic after 30+minutes or so, the bottom lower speaker starts sending a cracking sound every 10 secs then. It does not disappear, unless you quit WoW. I really wonder where this is coming from. Already talked to Apple Support but their troubleshooting steps for this display is just unplugging the power cable… but now I isolated the issue to WoW, otherwise the cracking sound doesn’t start happening. Strange…(M1 Max Mac Studio)

Quick question: Do you have Microsoft Teams installed?

No, only Excel and Word. It’s so strange. As soon as I close WoW Classic it stops making that sound. Disabling in-game sound doesn’t fix it either. It’s like a constant clicking sound, the higher the volume, the louder as well.

I have been playing Wrath since launch and been using the Apple Studio Display since release and had no issues until recently. It happened with Ventura 13.1 as well.

It almost sounds like something is fighting for control of audio devices, USB in particular. What audio devices do you have connected and via what ports?

I can select between the Studio Displayer Speakers (Thunderbolt), Mac Studio Speaker (sound comes out of the Mac) and Dell U2415 thats connected via HDMI but has no speakers, not sure why thats an option. Shows in System Preferences as well. Wait… you may have a good point. Discord keeps asking me if I want to switch the Audio Source to DU2415 (New Audio Source detected). Maybe thats it?

Edit:

This error keeps coming up on Discord:

New Audio Device Detected

Discord has detected a new audio input device named iPhone (2) Microphone! Do you want to switch to it?

I don’t even know where my Mac Studio is getting this from? The Discord app?

Hey Soek,

I have a Studio Display hooked up to my Mac mini M2 Pro and I’m having the same issue. Clicking noise out of the left side. I’ve narrowed my issue down to Discord but only when in a voice channel with others. Once I disconnect from the voice channel the clicking goes away. It doesn’t happen every time though. The first day I had the display connected I was getting the clicking but a week went by and 3 raid nights before it happened again. I’m going to poke around with some settings and see if maaaaybe I can get it to stop.

As far as the issue about the iPhone Mic, that’s just Apple’s Continuity feature trying to use your phone as a Mic…you’ll also get a prompt like that if you use Teams video feature it will ask if you want to use you iPhone as the webcam. You can get discord to stop prompting you but hitting the little blue text that says…something around the lines of ignore this.

Thank you for your response! I am glad I am not the only one. It’s definitely strange, since it’s not as easy to reproduce. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn’t.

I have now narrowed it down to keeping in-game music above 30% , instead of low 5%. Thats when the clicking kept coming in.