AOE ZF Farm How to keep aggro?

Hi, 48WAR here.

I got into a ZF AOE party with a priest and 3 mages. Basically the strat was to pull the whole room while they freeze and burn down. I got kicked and was told to learn how to tank. I thought I was doing pretty good learning how to tank properly.

So how do I keep aggro on all those guys? They told me other warriors can do it before kicking me. Please help, any advice appreciated over videos (I couldn’t find any). I just want to improve my tanking skills. Thanks.

3 Likes

Simple DON’T. Kite them. Only grab the ones that actually latch on to someone. You’re really there to monitor at that point and to tank small pulls and bosses.

3 Mages have more than enough skills to burn any graves packs you open without dying. The have IB etc. Easy stuff. If mages are eating it with 3 in the grp they’re doing it wrong. They should be rotating to slow those packs so they never reach anyone.

3 Likes

Stuff like this pisses me off to read…having a severe tank shortage and they kick the tank no questions asked and don’t even try to help him…As a healer If I had been there I’d probably left with you…smh

15 Likes

Do the mages not know how to frost nova?

2 Likes

That was seriously uncool, OP, and I’m sorry it happened.

3 Likes

Problem is some of them are ST spec’d which makes the strat iffy for some groups.

AoE farm is overrated anyway…

But yea, the general idea is that you’re not supposed to hold aggro. Just group them up and taunt the occasional one that gets loose to bring it back into the mob.

For real though… AoE farm is overrated. People are putting way too much stock in this. Running with a normal group and keeping nice, smooth, consistent pulls goes nearly as fast because you don’t have to sit while three mages drink to full.

Not saying it’s bad, but because people saw their favourite streamer and/or pro raid team do this strat, now it’s all everybody wants to do. It’s also boring.

8 Likes

You aint lying…I dread when I get into a group and they want to do that.

You don’t keep that kind of threat. they hotfixed a bug that the mages were expecting you to be using, but even then a warrior DOES NOT keep aoe threat over mages, ever. These people are just being stupid.

8 Likes

Are you joking? Do you know how many bars I fill just past the graves? Nothing compares at least at my level.

threat on more than 4 monsters is easy, just spam demo shout/roar and focus killing totems.

threat seems to be weird with shouts, the more guys it hits the more threat it makes. 4-5 shouts and they are glued to u. iv run over 50 ZF gy runs (from lvl 42-52 exclusively there.)
iv had nothing but smooth runs when giving tanks a quick rundown of the strat, were to LoS and prioritizing totems.
it also helps to set a mage up as “first nova” and direct the other 2 mages to pay attention and make judgment calls on second and third nova. they usually get it figured out in the first few pulls.

Sorry you had to deal with players like that.

Unfortunately the spell cleave Meta is simply full of the gogogo people and you’ll rarely find a team in the pug world that has time to care or teach.

I wish people weren’t like this but unfortunately the Internet makes everyone nasty for no reason other than they feel safe behind their screen.

Take solace in the fact most of them are probably autistic screeching neck beards with a litany of other life issues they hide from in WoW and move on. People with actual social skills do not act like this.

But for real, the other poster basically explained what u have to do, you’re job is to make the mobs group property for slow and nova, and protect the clothies from getting gibbed, not to hold aggro as you statistically cannot once they unload.

7 Likes

The demo shout bug is being hotfixed, won’t be doing ridiculously more threat as it’s supposed to anymore.

i just saw that! i guess just gonna need to bring 4 mages now, sorry tanks =P

Have you tried bringing up a few at a time and just marching? Dont’ forget to factor in the time you’d spend drinking. No anecdotal pls.

Yep I have, I haven’t intended to mage farm it but the last few groups I ran had 2/3 mages. But yeah I don’t mind it whatever way but if fast xp is your thing it’s certainly the in thing.

I haven’t gotten to ZF yet, but I did a pile of SM runs ('cause that’s the group I just happened to fall into). One of those groups it went really smoothly because they knew what they were doing. Even then it wasn’t that much faster than a normal group because of all the drinking. It was faster, but the downtime brought the gap so close that it’s just faster on paper, really.

The second group had no idea what they were doing and it actually took longer because people kept dying.

Really though, my point here is that right now everybody is focusing heavily on groups like this, to the exclusion of normal groups. Doing it normally is nearly as good and way more reliable.

1 Like

I never experienced any mage farm in SM and I did a butt ton of runs there. But yeah I don’t think most people care. It’s not too bad to just grab your typical group makeup and have at it.

Honestly I’m just happy to get in groups because I play late-night and find others at my level or close on Old Blanchy Alliance is kinda difficult.

You can’t anymore. They nerfed demo shout so it does no threat anymore

1 Like

How ironic.

Kicking the Tank for not keeping aggro on mobs that shouldn’t even hit 1 decent mage never mind a group with 3 of em.