AoE cap is anti-fun for no reason

Problem: dungeon and raid design has too much dense, boring trash

Solution: nerf player characters arbitrarily!!!

The aoe cap is the single worst decision they’ve made in this game.

4 Likes

So just play slower. WoW. so skillful, so fun.

2 Likes

Anti-fun is a stupid buzzword and anyone who uses it should be ignored.

3 Likes

The danger to pulling a bunch of stuff is its harder for the tank to live and harder for the healer to heal. Its risk vs reward.

Basically this whole anti aoe thing is. We don’t like people pulling large groups of mobs so you will play the way we want you to play, pull one group at a time.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s called strategy. It’s much more so than mindless AOE.

1 Like

Sure, because the playerbase enjoyed that fun so much in catclysm.

Its boring because it poses no threat to you even in large numbers as AoE abilities are too strong. Less powerful AoE = more danger of dying. More danger = less boredom.

It’s why Heroic Shadow Labyrinth is still remembered, 13 years later. If you tried yolo pulling you’d quickly wipe. If you want zero danger and big flashy numbers, Candy Crush is an option.

4 Likes

Yes. It’s called game design.

2 Likes

People were mad because they were bad and didn’t want to learn boss mechanics. Surprise surprise. Bad players want a mindless game.

The game has also been getting worse and worse since cata. Consider the correlation of that.

4 Likes

Pandering to impatience and instant gratification isn’t pro-fun. It’s pro entitlement and goodness gracious the general player base isn’t short of any of that.

MY WAY OF PLAY
MY CHARACTER
MY ROTATION

Newsflash: You’re not the only one who plays the game. Shocker.
GAHT DANG MILINEALS AND ZOOMRS,!!,

Edit:

So a few variables are in play here. Accessibility of the game, broader demographic of people after the WotLK success pulling in numbers and the shift in frame of reference regarding player skill/effort investment vs reward and what constitutes as an acceptable parameter.

More people with less of a time/effort investment came into the fray demanding that they be rewarded just the same as those who took more of an effort in their character and game play. Hell, there are still threads on here to this day of world questers contending they’re just as privy to mythic gear as actual mythic raiders, lol. The -only- reason Cata was nerfed was because it was actually somewhat difficult and required effort for the fruits of the run.

6 Likes

xrealm LFD in WotLK was the worst decision in the history of WoW. Ruined the game forever

1 Like

What is sad, is when Blizzard notices a certain tactic, and for some reason decides they don’t like how it’s working…then change the whole game to eliminate that tactic. AoE pulling was an option, not an exploit. If you had characters that were geared enough to use this option, then it was fun. Blizz telling you HOW to play now.

Limited AoE has NOTHING to do with learning BOSS mechanics.

3 Likes

I loved that place, mandatory cc, tactical pulling, and if you pulled two packs at once, you were screwed.

I miss design like that

Agreed.

If they don’t want m+ to devolve into an aoe clown fiesta at high ranks then buff the content, dont nerf the players.

Some examples…deadly ability combos spread across packs. Like MS auras that are additive. Or curse of tongues spam or fear spam. Or mobs that use divine shield.

The aoe limit is arbitrary and sucks even harder than the gcd nonsense of bfa.

3 Likes

yeah, probably gonna make it even harder for me to do overworld content in resto, since i usually throw some hots on and pull a bunch of stuff and aoe it down.

yeah because taking one enemy at a time and taking 10 times as long to do anything is so much more fun.

2 Likes

why? keep in mind not every spec has good AoE. If they buffed mobs alone to make AoE challenging every non-high-AoE spec would fall behind that much more as AoE went from being situationally useful and highly expensive (as originally designed) to mandatory to clear dense high-HP packs.

1 Like

Cap current content then :slight_smile:

And if you wanted to play a spec that doesn’t have strong AoE then too bad, guess you should have made a better choice. AoE should come with high costs and high risks. If it doesn’t then its just flashy numbers.

2 Likes

buzzword is more of a buzzword than anti-fun