AoE cap is anti-fun for no reason

Again… large pulls aren’t mindless AoE fests when doing content that’s actually challenging.

First 4 packs in front of the first boss of KR has:

• 3 party wipe AoE’s that must have a kick/stun/knock/CC order
  • Tornadoes galore to dodge
  • Enormous magical tank damage to heal through
  • Enormous physical tank damage to survive
  • And 2 mobs that require soothe mechanics to maintain
  • Oh and also w/e additional affix’s are up to handle.

Your request is instead to turn that into 4 pulls (because there’s ZERO point in doing all 4 packs at once anymore with the caps). Which turn into:

Pull 1: Dodge tornadoes
Pull 2: Interrupt 1 party wide AoE and soothe 1 mob
Pull 3: Interrupt 1 party wide AoE and dodge tornadoes
Pull 4: Interrupt 1 party wide AoE, dodge tornadoes, and soothe 1 mob

Tank damage trivial for all 4 pulls.

You just turned my content from being something challenging, into something relatively easy on a mechanical level. Ask for your content to be buffed and have mechanics that matter at a lower difficulty level. Cause if you’re not doing high level content… your content is STILL going to be boring… you’ll just be moving through it slower.

1 Like

Allowing designers to make each pack harder and more complex?
Idk I havent played the Beta, but thats what I’d do.

You can do that without changing the way our characters AoE? In fact I’d encourage that over making it useless to pull a 6th target into the fold for some specs.

I really just think this was more about melee vs caster parity than anything else.

I mean, with fire mages currently (womp womp… previously) being one of the strongest specs in the game and beast master hunters close behind them…

And the melee vs caster parity is primarily about damage pattern. DH’s look amazing (and they were amazing) in lower keys because they pack all of their AoE into the first few seconds of the pull. Any class that has ramp is going to look terrible in low level keys. My fire mage would look terrible in a key where everything dies during a DH’s eyebeam. But give me mob packs that can survive 8-10 seconds after a full combustion rotation? GL keeping up…

1 Like

It’s so weird when people say that using certain words makes someone’s opinion invalid. Is it possible to speak without someone getting mad at a normal, non-offensive word I use anymore?

I would contest that there are also Melee specs that need to ramp, and Caster specs that have better frontloaded damage.

AoE to cleave to ST is one spectrum, frontloaded or backloaded damage is another.

Idk about your experience but I did most of my M+ this season on an Hpal and there were many many keys that were all 5 players as melee, usually 1 ranged player at most.

I cant read Blizzard’s (sorry excuse for a) mind, but the main valid reason I can see for who they target capped and who they didnt was to help diversify a bit.

Maybe I’m not a mega pro doing 28+ keys, but none of the 18+ keys I did really exploited AoE stacking much anyway, there are just too many really dangerous mobs at that level that you cant easily and safely stack up, not without cheesy tactics like snaps, or really competent use of strong AoE CC like solar beams. Idk I just didnt see… really any of that in pugs.
When I tanked I was pretty much the fastest tank I ever saw, and all I did was chain pull.

IDK, I just dont really see much of a problem for the broad swath or more or less competitive players. I dont think AoE capping melee has much of an effect on most people doing content thats actually appropriate for them, except perhaps give a few casters a bit of a niche in certain situations.

1 Like

A lot of that is from corruption usage as well though is it not?

If it wasn’t for how strong some classes scale with certain corruptions I’d imagine the meta of 8.3 would have been much closer to the 8.2 meta which was basically Rogue/DH as it feels like it has been for the past 4 years.
Of course with sightly less reliance on Rogue due to pillar usage.

Don’t knock it till you try it, AOE can be slot of fun.

I never said I don’t play classes with AOE. I said I didn’t play a mage in vanilla. But no, I don’t have fun on any class just running around, picking up mobs and AOEing them down.

Cleave had lost its identity and melded into basically the same thing as AoE (to the point of people commonly referring to cleave abilities as AoE). This is just restoring the distinction between AoE and cleave.

1 Like

To restate what I said earlier:

No, players who complain using buzzwords like “anti-fun,” “toxic” and “meme” do so because they think calling something they don’t like by one of those buzzwords is an argument in itself, no explanation necessary. It’s a non-argument, it’s a whine.

1 Like

Because as long as snapping, kiting, and high cooldown based burst aoe exists this doesn’t really work.

You think mobs in high keys don’t hit hard or have dangerous casts??

Do you think players want more caster mobs in packs?

I didnt felt any different honestly, on prepatch

There’s a reason. You might disagree or dislike it, but that does not change that fact.

its 100% tied to MDI, Esports ruin games

it actually acomplished the opposite, now they both mean the same. Cleave = to hit several targets. AoE to hit every target in the area.

Those are two different things. You just contradicted yourself.

A; you’re simply assuming that.

B; who cares.

1 Like

no, with AoE cap, cleave and AoE are now the same thing B. not an assumtion ,its 100% tied to MDI

Unless you can source that, it’s an assumption.

There are some abilities capped to 5 targets, some to 8, some that don’t cap until 20, and some that simply aren’t capped.

That sounds rather distinct to me.