Anyone order the DF Epic Collector's Edition? what's the deal

Hello. About a week ago I was browsing the Blizzard Gear store and noticed there was a Dragon Flight Epic Collector’s edition. Comes with the Epic version of the game a mousepad, artbook, and some other cool collector’s items. I went ahead and purchased it. I figured it was going to send me a game key so I would be ready to preload the game when pre-patch releases in a few weeks… well it just says order pending I am assuming the collector’s items will ship at release or something. I chatted with Blizzard support about when I would get the game key and they were clueless and said they had no idea. Has anyone purchased this and know what to expect? This is my first time purchasing a collector’s edition.

I refunded it and got a digital version instead. I decided I didn’t need a mouse pad and artwork.

You’ll get the box in the mail around the release date (plus or minus a few days typically); in the box there’s a card with a code for it. Once you have that, go one to the battle.net page and enter the code to upgrade your account.

If you want to be able to use the digital goodies before you get the box (eg. make a Drakthyr during prepatch), you’ll have to purchase a digital copy. If you do that you’ll be given the equivalent value in Blizzard Balance once you apply the CE code.

Thank you for clearing this up. Can I just purchase the standard digital copy instead of the Epic? and then apply the code when the box comes in ?

Yep, that’d be my recommendation if you want pre-patch access to Drakthyr and to not have to wait to get into DF content if the shipping is delayed for some reason. You’ll get the extra stuff the standard doesn’t have when you apply the CE code.

Okay awesome thanks. I will do just that when prepatch comes out. Appreciate it.

The physical box with the key ships at release. You usually won’t have it the second the game goes live.

Some people are ok with that. Others want the physical goodies but also to play right away. Those folks usually purchase a digital version too.

Blizzard understands that is not ideal and does have some means of providing funds back to people. You can get the digital version back as Bnet balance you can spend on game time or something else.

If you buy Dragonflight (Base, Heroic, or Epic) on the Battle.net Shop and then redeem a Collector’s Edition code, we will automatically refund you the cost of your digital purchase in Battle.net Balance, as long as you redeem the Collector’s Edition code before December 31, 2023.

There was a pinned thread about it too but that seems to be unpinned.

1 Like

It’s literally the same as any CE. It ships the week before launch.

1 Like

I am one of those people who wish many years ago I had the fore sight of buying all the CE of WoW’s boxes from the start and never touching them. They would be worth a great deal more now than what they were originally paid for. With anything collectable, the best way to keep its value is to never open it. Once open for any reason what so ever, the value goes down.

Yep. Blizzard apparently is stuck in 2004 and hasn’t figured out how to send digital keys ahead of physical purchase. Your only options are to buy both (Blizzard will refund you the cost of one in battle.net balance), buy the physical CE and wait, or not get the physical items and get your key instead.

Ya. it is kind of whack to be honest. I should have done more research before purchasing it’s my first CE purchase. I am excited to get the items, but I just assumed I would get the game key via email also not getting an option to refund the b-net balance back to credit card seems unfair. I am sure I will find some blizzard items to purchase with the refund though I guess.

1 Like

I completely agree. But Blizzard gets twice the money if they just don’t bother getting with the times and providing digital keys with physical purchases like certain other competitors do, so I guess they’ll probably never change it.

In marketing and such they might say or indicate it ships day of release but in reality for the three CEs I have , the last one being SL , I’ve never gotten it after launch.

SL CE arrived over a week before release.

But who says this time will be the same, just wanted to share it’s not unusual to get the CE before launch even significantly before launch.

Thanks. Yes, would be nice to get a few weeks early. But I will have to order the Digital Version if I want to play the new Race during pre-patch… unless by some Miracle the CE shows up at my door before prepatch.